What qualifies an artist to earn the title of being LEGEND?

janetDAYZ

All of the above....being a legend means a mastery of your craft in such a way that it influences others and impacts the world.

Michael Jackson as an artist, performer, entertainer and humanitarian....

Prince as a musician and performer....

Whitney Houston as a vocalist...

Janet Jackson as an artist, performer, entertainer and humanitarian...

Madonna as an artist and businesswoman.

All three are among the qualifications, among other things that aren't coming to mind at the moment. lol

Yes, I consider both Sade and Anita legendary.

So if you think all 3 play apart into being considered a legend? What has been Anita's IMPACT and INFLUENCE. I can understand Sade's..but Anita? Im curious to get ur views.

So if you think all 3 play apart into being considered a legend? What has been Anita's IMPACT and INFLUENCE. I can understand Sade's..but Anita? Im curious to get ur views.

Patti, Aretha, Gladys, Chaka, etc have been doing it for DECADES longer than Anita, but you still see her mentioned among them as "THE" Divas (I'm not saying she's in their league, I'm saying she is mentioned along side them).

I would say Anita definitely dominated (in her field) during her peak, but I would say her "status" is more debatable because she disappeared from the scene for YEARS. A few years away and people tend to forget what you contributed and what impact you made.

Patti, Aretha, Gladys, Chaka, etc have been doing it for DECADES longer than Anita, but you still see her mentioned among them as "THE" Divas (I'm not saying she's in their league, I'm saying she is mentioned along side them).

I would say Anita definitely dominated (in her field) during her peak, but I would say her "status" is more debatable because she disappeared from the scene for YEARS. A few years away and people tend to forget what you contributed and what impact you made.

I disagree, she still got played on R&B radio during her long hiatus. Anita Baker was a major player in the change in R&B music in the mid 80s. While people might complain the R&B had become very pop driven, she managed to keep it soulful, while putting a more jazzy spin in it and having some mainstream success.

Sade and Anita are both definitely legendary. Although they both had a hiatus, they still maintained relevance in music. Both still receive major airplay.

Success, longevity, influence are the key qualities to being a legend. You hit it right on the head. :)

I disagree, she still got played on R&B radio during her long hiatus. Anita Baker was a major player in the change in R&B music in the mid 80s. While people might complain the R&B had become very pop driven, she managed to keep it soulful, while putting a more jazzy spin in it and having some mainstream success.

I agree with that...I was just pointing out why (for some) her "status" might be debatable. I agree with everything you said though.

Is it just about longevity?

Is it about impact?

Is it about influence?

All three of those things come to mind. But also, the person had to be fearless and take risks with their artform. A legend is someone that you can look back in time and be like "Damn, I remember where I was, what I was doing, and how I felt about that"..it had to be something memorable and made some kind of impact. I think the younger generation like to throw around the term very loosely.

Is it just about longevity?

Is it about impact?

Is it about influence?

Sade and Anita Baker -are they legends?

Longevity, impact and influence are all elements to a legend. Consistency is very important, as well. I see way too many people throwing "legend" around to artists who no longer are even relevant or lack consistency.

Sade is a legend, Anita is NOT. I swear, this is the only forum where people even refer to her as such. Nobody knows Anita like that besides that song "Sweet Love".

A legend is someone who stood out for something special and because of this special something has been able to last over at least 15 years and inspire those who came after them.

The Beatles have only been active for 6-7 years. Years are pretty important but 15 is a stretch.

Longevity, impact and influence are all elements to a legend. Consistency is very important, as well. I see way too many people throwing "legend" around to artists who no longer are even relevant or lack consistency.

Sade is a legend, Anita is NOT. I swear, this is the only forum where people even refer to her as such. Nobody knows Anita like that besides that song "Sweet Love".

:lmao:

Because she's... not

tumblr_luh1wfrU601qgc0xh.gif

Is an explanation really needed?

Yes. People were able to articulate her contributions to the industry. I think it's fair to see where someone thinks she might fall short. Simply never caring about her isn't enough.

Archived