The Official Brandy Thread

CK1Czar

If only the hot 100 counts, then a lot of artist need to revamp their claims and stats.

Now, watch, if she makes it on the Hot 100, you all will say, "Only the Top 40 counts". Ch...

Actually I'd say "I'm not here for anything less than a top 20" :)

I'd say the same to all the other artists too.

R&B doesn't have the same crossover success as it used to, and for that matter, niether does rock music either. But songs in those genres could still do well on their on charts and be considered hits. Some of yall are holding Brandy to a standard she will never be able to reach because she doesn't have that mainstream push anymore. Success is relative depending on the genre you're in and the level of artist you are.

R&B doesn't have the same crossover success as it used to, and for that matter, niether does rock music either. But songs in those genres could still do well on their on charts and be considered hits. Some of yall are holding Brandy to a standard she will never be able to reach because she doesn't have that mainstream push anymore. Success is relative depending on the genre you're in and the level of artist you are.

Looking at the rnb charts, it seems hip hop has been prevalent for years now than Rnb..

By your standards, almost everyone would be considered a flop then. I could also get behind your theory if the radio played music that people actually want to hear and not the crap we're forced to like because they cram it down our throats. That's why I don't even listen to the radio anymore, because most of the Top 20 sucks.

That's her fault this era, she had to repeatedly keep saying this is her make or break area and when she says that, I don't know about everyone else but I think she's coming with quality music, quality that she's best at and exceeding my expectations....then she gave me Put It Down.......and then released the video (a good video in my opinion, but not good enough to wait that many months) how many months after the 1st release? She's making it REALLy hard to be positive this era.

She LITERALLY built me up for this era, and has been letting me down every step of the way.

rihanna-and-brandy-playing2.jpg

Seriously, this makes no sense. I don't know what can actually save the genre..and you see more and more "rnb" artists blending the two..no one is strictly rnb anymore..

The problem is R&B/soul radio stations are dying in major markets. Hip hop and R&B stations are the new trend, and R&B is marginalized on those stations to take a backseat to rap. I live here in the bay and we have ONE real R&B station left and they just got purchased by a telecom type company. They haven't changed the format .....YET....but they are playing hip hop artist more and more each day. :sigh:

When I was down south in july (Baton Rouge), I was shocked to see that they have like 3 different types of R&B stations in that one city. They playing "Mr. Wrong) by MJB to death. You would have thought it was a huge hit. Yet here in the bay, they hardly play it outside that one station. Without exposure in large markets like NY, LA, MI and Chicago, R&B is going to have a harder time to come. If the artist want to get played they have to throw a rapper on the track.

That's her fault this era, she had to repeatedly keep saying this is her make or break area and when she says that, I don't know about everyone else but I think she's coming with quality music, quality that she's best at and exceeding my expectations....then she gave me Put It Down.......and then released the video (a good video in my opinion, but not good enough to wait that many months) how many months after the 1st release? She's making it REALLy hard to be positive this era.

She LITERALLY built me up for this era, and has been letting me down every step of the way.

It may not be your cup of tea, but a lot of folks like it. And what could you expect from her video wise? The song is fun club track. The video matched that. Her budget is limited. Did yall really expect her to come with an "ET" quality video like Katy Perry?

The problem is R&B/soul radio stations are dying in major markets. Hip hop and R&B stations are the new trend, and R&B is marginalized on those stations to take a backseat to rap. I live here in the bay and we have ONE real R&B station left and they just got purchased by a telecom type company. They haven't changed the format .....YET....but they are playing hip hop artist more and more each day. :sigh:

When I was down south in july (Baton Rouge), I was shocked to see that they have like 3 different types of R&B stations in that one city. They playing "Mr. Wrong) by MJB to death. You would have thought it was a huge hit. Yet here in the bay, they hardly play it outside that one station. Without exposure in large markets like NY, LA, MI and Chicago, R&B is going to have a harder time to come. If the artist want to get played they have to throw a rapper on the track.

We had two rnb/hip hop stations but lost one..so now we only have one that plays both..we have several UAC stations that plays "rnb" and oldies..Mary J. is having a hard time on rnb radio..but UAC stations will play her..UAC will not play this Brandy song..

Maybe you all are doing too much.......the song isn't that hot. That's why it's not doing too well. And I love brandy, but as I said from the beginning, the song isn't good enough. It's too basic, not catchy and doesn't show off what people like about her. If she was going to try and step out of her box, then the smart move would be to step into a commercially successful genre.

Maybe you all are doing too much.......the song isn't that hot. That's why it's not doing too well. And I love brandy, but as I said from the beginning, the song isn't good enough. It's too basic, not catchy and doesn't show off what people like about her. If she was going to try and step out of her box, then the smart move would be to step into a commercially successful genre.

I think she tried to step out of the proverbial box with PID..it sounds like nothing she's done before..I know it's not going to be a mainstream hit, but it's not a bad song..I actually like it..It's not strong as some of her older singles though..

We had two rnb/hip hop stations but lost one..so now we only have one that plays both..we have several UAC stations that plays "rnb" and oldies..Mary J. is having a hard time on rnb radio..but UAC stations will play her..UAC will not play this Brandy song..

That's what the station out here use to be before it got bought out. Now it plays less old shcool (PRE 80s) and more hip hop.

See, and from my experience it's been the opposite. Most people I know like the song.

The top urban radio stations (NY and LA) are even playing the song yet, so imagine if they did. Brandy is slowing rebuilding her brand and if anything, I think this song is a great setup for her next single. Radio stations hopefully won't take as long to play one of her records now since she's been reintroduced.

I think she tried to step out of the proverbial box with PID..it sounds like nothing she's done before..I know it's not going to be a mainstream hit, but it's not a bad song..I actually like it..It's not strong as some of her older singles though..

That's what I mean, she chose to do something that's different for her, but not very well, and into a genre that's not popular. It almost sounds like a worse version of big hoops or biebers boyfriend.