The Official Alicia Keys Thread

TwistedElegance™

I dont think Alicia Keys is pop music... Or ever was... She stayed in her lane without trying something terrible like Brandy did tho Alicia us a true artists with raw talent and not a doll so no comparison

Her album is missing its timeless songs like her previous albums... I don't see many singles from this project but A BRAND NEW ME is my jam

I dont think Alicia Keys is pop music... Or ever was... She stayed in her lane without trying something terrible like Brandy did tho Alicia us a true artists with raw talent and not a doll so no comparison

Her album is missing its timeless songs like her previous albums... I don't see many singles from this project but A BRAND NEW ME is my jam

I think that's the problem - the album doesn't have that Empire or Try Sleeping or Unthinkable or No One or Karma type of umph. I do love the album though.

Brand New Me :wub:.

• 3 weeks later...

Alicia Keys’ “Girl on Fire” Also a “Lonely Girl” from 1970

Alicia Keys’ new hit “Girl on Fire” is catchy, catchy, catchy. But like a lot of Keys’s songs, it comes with ingredients from past hits. The credits do include a nod to “The Big Beat” by Billy Squiers, upon which the whole drumline is apparently based. There’s another sample that doesn’t seem to be credited anywhere unless I’ve totally missed it. In the middle of the song, Alicia sings a couplet or so from Eddie Holman’s 1970 classic “Hey There Lonely Girl.” The song was written by Leon Carr and Earl Shuman, who are both gone to rock and rock and roll heaven.

“Hey There” was first recorded by Ruby and the Romantics in 1963. But it was Holman’s wonderful recording that became a once in a lifetime hit. Keys only uses two seconds of the original, but it helps make her record. It’s not the same as when she remade The Main Ingredient’s “Let Me Prove My Love to You” into “You Don’t Know My Name,” but it’s still prominent for anyone who grew up during the classic era of R&B.

Do they teach this sampling stuff at Juilliard?

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/11/25/alicia-keys-girl-on-fire-also-a-lonely-girl-from-1970

:unsure:

The single is doing well in the US right now. #12 on the BB Hot 100, over 1 million downloads, #24 on iTunes, #17 on Pop radio, and #17 in overall airplay (over 67 million audience impressions).

The album is at 603k WW. It's holding steady in the US and according to HITS is expected to sell another 80k to 90k next week.

• 1 month later...

tumblr_mh9cimECTP1r5x5uco1_1280.jpg

The Bday love continues!!! Woooow!! Over a million worldwide sales of Girl on fire album and almost 2 million singles!! So Much love to all my fam!! And @nickiminaj & WERE JUST GETTING STARTED!!! ����#blessing and love!!

-------

Does she mean a million shipped? Cuz I'ma need to see the receipts if she's saying it has "sold" over one million.

So far the album has sold 493,000 in the USA and 157,000 in the UK.

She's on a promo tour of Europe and performed in the UK, France, and Spain...so expect a boost in sales!

Performance of "Brand New Me" on Jonathan Ross -

Performance in Spain and receiving artistry award -

The single "Girl On Fire" is #14 on the Hot 100. It's officially #10 on Pop radio, her first top 10 solo single on the format since "No One", and over 92 million audience impressions combined on 6 formats.

The single "Brand New Me" is top 20 on urban radio and urban AC radio.

She'll appear on Ellen, The Grammys, and the Superbowl in the next few weeks.

:)

• 4 weeks later...