The Official Madonna Thread

TwistedElegance™

I understand the intelligence behind it - but no matter how it's painted, giving your album away is not selling it. A reduced price with the purchase of a ticket, sure, but not for free.

In the case of Lady GaGa what you said absolutely holds up, but in Madonna's case with them ticket prices is it really like giving the album away for free? Hell if anything at Madonna prices it should count that's my thinking on it though for all that's worth.

Edit: I actually view it as purchasing into the Madonna experience, and it entitles you to a copy of the album, a tour pass, the ticket to the show. It's like you're buying into the Madonna brand, it's different but more like an inclusive package deal.

In the case of Lady GaGa what you said absolutely holds up, but in Madonna's case with them ticket prices is it really like giving the album away for free? Hell if anything at Madonna prices it should count that's my thinking on it though for all that's worth.

Edit: I actually view it as purchasing into the Madonna experience, and it entitles you to a copy of the album, a tour pass, the ticket to the show. It's like you're buying into the Madonna brand, it's different but more like an inclusive package deal.

I think it's an excuse to to ship albums that otherwise wouldn't have been bought at record stores or online for the most part. Even if Nielson omits those sales, RIAA won't.

Jay Z and Kanye got away with it.

She's tied with Janet and Britney.

When we start talking stats, Janet actually comes out in the top of them often, they said Madonna has her 41st club hit then they said only Janet comes second to that. Janet has this huge legacy she built it's just a question of how in the world will she get back to something resembling a hit

When we start talking stats, Janet actually comes out in the top of them often, they said Madonna has her 41st club hit then they said only Janet comes second to that. Janet has this huge legacy she built it's just a question of how in the world will she get back to something resembling a hit

What folks tend to forget is that Janet has less amount of albums and single releases compared to other legends. That alone speaks massive volume.
  • Upvote 3

The way she sounds like she's singing through clenched teeth for that part = :wub:This album really puts into perspective what a misstep Hard Candy was. -_-

RIGHT! I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. :lol:

I just know that I havent felt this strongly about an album in a loooong while...i absolutely love it. :wub:

• Upvote 1

What folks tend to forget is that Janet has less amount of albums and single releases compared to other legends. That alone speaks massive volume.

Exactly!!! :clapping:

I mean, MC had put out more albums than Janet by the year 2000, and Janet's career pre-dates Mariah's by a decade. Janet and Whitney released the least material, but still had some of the greatest impact.

• Upvote 2

Yes. The article stated that it didn't matter if your ticket cost an arm-and-a-leg or not - if it was an online purchase you were entitled to a free copy of her album. At the end of the day, that's not fair.

Only you're not truly purchasing into the Madonna experience, you're being given an entire element for free. If the album were discounted as part of a package deal I wouldn't see a problem because there's more onus on the consumer. As it stands it's just an obvious ploy to inflate the numbers. It's transparent at least, but I don't think it's right.

Yes. The article stated that it didn't matter if your ticket cost an arm-and-a-leg or not - if it was an online purchase you were entitled to a free copy of her album. At the end of the day, that's not fair.

Only you're not truly purchasing into the Madonna experience, you're being given an entire element for free. If the album were discounted as part of a package deal I wouldn't see a problem because there's more onus on the consumer. As it stands it's just an obvious ploy to inflate the numbers. It's transparent at least, but I don't think it's right.

so your perspective is not having the album being explicitly sold or stated as a portion thereof of the ticket purchase? I guess my point was kinda opening my mind to the idea that artists are going to have to be innovative to move albums now so the idea that she did that did it inflate her "sales" when they say the album is "free" with the ticket then I could see your side Matt, I was really giving the woman kudos for running game however she had to do it, especially for an artist that does like zero promo

I got you I reread it twice , the fact the album was not explicitly stated as being sold as part of the "experience" but rather a freebie that came along with the actual purchased "element" of the Madonna brand. okay :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

so your perspective is not having the album being explicitly sold or stated as a portion thereof of the ticket purchase? I guess my point was kinda opening my mind to the idea that artists are going to have to be innovative to move albums now so the idea that she did that did it inflate her "sales" when they say the album is "free" with the ticket then I could see your side Matt, I was really giving the woman kudos for running game however she had to do it, especially for an artist that does like zero promo

I got you I reread it twice , the fact the album was not explicitly stated as being sold as part of the "experience" but rather a freebie that came along with the actual purchased "element" of the Madonna brand. okay :thumbup:

That's exactly it. I'm all for artists being innovative when it comes to shifting units because so much of it is about the numbers, but this just felt a little underhanded to me.

MDNA tops the chart...thanks to Ticketmaster.MADGE’S TWO ON THE AISLE: Madonna’s Interscope album, MDNA, which debuted at #1, racking up a year-best 358k first-week sales, benefited from a Ticketmaster bundling with concert tour tickets that added up to almost half of the total, according to the N.Y. Post. Those additional “sales” were the difference in finishing ahead of Lionel Richie who scored his best first week of the SoundScan era with nearly 200k for his country collaboration, Tuskegee. While SoundScan had made an “opt-in” offer for an album when purchasing a concert ticket mandatory to count “sales” in the wake of a previous Prince promotion, insiders insist that the consumer choosing to use a supplied redemption code satisfied that requirement. Other sources claimed the consumer being offered the option of either a “digital” or “physical” copy was sufficient. An inside source told the Post: “While the public may view it as free, [the album is] actually bundled into the price of the ticket.” (4/4p)

----

:umm:

So what happens if you don't "choose" to use the redemption code? Do you get a refund of $10 since you didn't redeem the album? :umm:

Congrats to Madonna..but I still can't get into the album..

It's still okay to me, I'm a fan so I'm going to find something I enjoy if only "Gang Bang" but after looking at the track titles I said to myself, dropping the F bomb every five seconds "doesn't make you interesting nor cutting edge" :filenails:

Madonna eager to complete the Kiss of Death on Britney

Madonna MDNA Day ‏ @MadonnaMDNAday

@britneyspears please come on stage and kiss me again. I miss you!!

Britney Spears ‏ @britneyspears

@MadonnaMDNAday Tempting...

Britney Spears ‏ @britneyspears

@MadonnaMDNAday Why of course!

----

Leave the poor girl alone. -_- She has nothing left for you to snatch. -_-

MDNA tops the chart...thanks to Ticketmaster.MADGE’S TWO ON THE AISLE: Madonna’s Interscope album, MDNA, which debuted at #1, racking up a year-best 358k first-week sales, benefited from a Ticketmaster bundling with concert tour tickets that added up to almost half of the total, according to the N.Y. Post. Those additional “sales” were the difference in finishing ahead of Lionel Richie who scored his best first week of the SoundScan era with nearly 200k for his country collaboration, Tuskegee. While SoundScan had made an “opt-in” offer for an album when purchasing a concert ticket mandatory to count “sales” in the wake of a previous Prince promotion, insiders insist that the consumer choosing to use a supplied redemption code satisfied that requirement. Other sources claimed the consumer being offered the option of either a “digital” or “physical” copy was sufficient. An inside source told the Post: “While the public may view it as free, [the album is] actually bundled into the price of the ticket.” (4/4p)

----

:umm:

So what happens if you don't "choose" to use the redemption code? Do you get a refund of $10 since you didn't redeem the album? :umm:

The slam the phone down and call you a fucking sucker.. :filenails:

she should have used the same strategy in her actual biggest market ( sales/amount of people)

The album did debut at 1 but with just 56000 copies sold... That is really really low

in comparisment... Kylie's Aphrodite (her lesser hit album) sold 80000 copies first week...and that's one of her lowest selling albums

Chart Preview

Universal Music scores its third #1 in a row as Nicki Minaj's projection increases a little today. Here's how it looks headed into the Easter weekend:

*Nicki Minaj (Young Money/Cash Money/Universal Republic) 215-235k

Adele 21 (XL/Columbia) 155-165k

*Rascal Flatts (Big Machine) 110-120k

Lionel Richie (Mercury Nashville) 100-110k

One Direction (Syco/Columbia) 70-80k

The Hunger Games soundtrack (Universal Republic) 45-50k

*Marvin Sapp (Verity) 45-50k

*Of Monsters & Men (Universal Republic) 45-50k

Madonna (Interscope) 40-45k

----

399485726.jpg @ Madonna.

:lmao: @ Adele.