The Official Madonna Thread

TwistedElegance™

its becoming one of my favorites as well. love the play on words.

Yes! It's subtle but so effective. And I'm still stuck on 'Falling Free'.

And pure so sure I’d struck a vein

I wanted you to feel the same

So when you did ignite a spark

Rescue me from all this dark

The way she sounds like she's singing through clenched teeth for that part = :wub: This album really puts into perspective what a misstep Hard Candy was. -_-

LW TW artist / album label power index % change

-- 1 MADONNA INTERSCOPE 357,943 --

MDNA

-- 2 LIONEL RICHIE MERCURY NASHVILLE 200,095 --

TUSKEGEE

2 3 ADELE XL/COLUMBIA 124,090 -5%

:sigh: @ Adele. She'll be outselling MDNA 2 weeks. Maybe even next week. :lol:

Madonna‘s “MDNA” album is expected be the number 1 album in the country this week. Final numbers will come in later today. But in fact, Lionel Richie, with nearly 200,000 copies of his “Tuskegee” album sold–his best debut in 20 years or m0re–could post a valid complaint. It turns out that a hefty number of “MDNA” albums weren’t sold the usual way. Madonna’s label, Interscope, and Live Nation, which owns Ticketmaster, bundled the album with her ticket sales. For every ticket sold online to Madonna’s upcoming shows, purchasers automatically receive a copy of “MDNA.” They get a link to a free purchase on ITunes, or they can send in their mailing address for a physical CD. It doesn’t matter if the concert ticket is $52 or $350. It’s a smart marketing move for Interscope. It unnaturally inflates sales, and uses “MDNA” for what albums have become–souvenirs, or loss leaders.

The real money is in the live show anyway. No one knows yet how many of “MDNA” sales will be attributed to the Ticketmaster giveaway, but numbers will probably be broken out in the next couple of days.

Here’s the wording from Ticketmaster’s website: Get “MDNA” with your Ticket- Madonna is having a huge party and everyone’s invited. For every ticket purchased online, you’ll receive your choice of a digital or physical copy of Madonna’s new album MDNA. Prior to the album release on 3/26, you’ll receive an email from Ticketmaster with redemption instructions. If you purchase your tickets on or after 3/26, you’ll receive your email within 48 hours. Offer is valid for United States residents & events only. Please note: This offer is not valid for tickets purchased through Official Platinum Seats or TicketExchange.

This is not the first time this has been tried. In the past, both Bon Jovi and Tom Petty had “bundles” with CDs and tickets. They just weren’t as successful. One source tells me that their pick up rates weren’t necessarily that high. “Not everyone takes the CD,” says the source, although it seems unlikely that customers who want a ticket to see an artist don’t also want their new music– as it’s already included in the price of admission.

Billboard wrote about this not too long ago. “This sort of ticket/album promotion has been used in the recent past by such acts as Bon Jovi and Tom Petty. The latter’s “Mojo” album saw a No. 2 debut on July 3, 2010 — thanks to a fair number of customers who got the album via a ticket purchase. The same goes for Bon Jovi’s 2007 No. 1 album “Lost Highway.” The only sales that will count towards Billboard’s charts are those where the customer opted to receive the album.” http://www.billboard.com/news/madonn...06603552.story

Is it fair to artists on the chart who didn’t “bundle”? Last year, retailers and others objected when amazon.com did a 99 cent promotion with Lady Gaga for her “Born this Way” album. But Interscope (again Interscope) sold their bulk of CDs in first two weeks. The amazon promotion inflated Gaga’s sales by 440,000 copies to 1.1 million. And then sales tapered off. The Richie album, by the way, is “hot.” So the real test will be whether “MDNA” has legs beyond the promotion.

Source: FORBES

I don't think the idea of bundling is fair. Free albums shouldn't be eligible to chart - for anyone.

MDNA debuted at #1 in Australia. Legitimately.

I respectfully disagree, I actually think that in these times when it is tough to market and sell music in general if you can come up with a way to get your product out and it is purchased at a fair market price as was the case with Madonna if you factor in the costs of her shows I think the reality is people are hating on the player and not the game. If you can find a way to sell music in this digital age and that music reaches it's target audience that to me is still legitimate, no it is not like going into a record store and physically buying the album, neither is an Itunes download. So for me the issue is simple, did she sell the albums? did they get to the customer? If yes then okay that's a copy of my album moved.

If iTunes is any indication, this album is not going to have a long shelf life, unless a single picks things up.

I think if she can channel record sales through her tickets sales consistently, it might sell more than a million. Otherwise, I might stall between 600k-800k.

I have said it before the album is just okay to me with some good moments, better than her last but I must agree I don't see it having a long shelf life either, hell I spent more time on Rihanna's last album than this one and it aint been out that long for me to stop playing it.

I respectfully disagree, I actually think that in these times when it is tough to market and sell music in general if you can come up with a way to get your product out and it is purchased at a fair market price as was the case with Madonna if you factor in the costs of her shows I think the reality is people are hating on the player and not the game. If you can find a way to sell music in this digital age and that music reaches it's target audience that to me is still legitimate, no it is not like going into a record store and physically buying the album, neither is an Itunes download. So for me the issue is simple, did she sell the albums? did they get to the customer? If yes then okay that's a copy of my album moved.

I understand the intelligence behind it - but no matter how it's painted, giving your album away is not selling it. A reduced price with the purchase of a ticket, sure, but not for free.