Delusions of Grandeur: Nicki Minaj Says, ‘I Am Lyrically Better Than Most Male Rappers’

Escapade

NickiMinaj_BetterThanMostMaleRappers_MissJia-500x273.jpg

Controversial American Idol judge, Nicki Minaj, recently sat down with MTV First, where she opened up about her two guest appearances on Ciara’s forthcoming album, One Woman Army, Lil’ Wayne’s sex appeal, and how despite her lackluster Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded – The Re-Up album sales, she’s an underrated femcee who’s better than most male rappers…

I care less about the acceptance and more about me being the lyrical, ill b*tch that I am, knowing that I am lyrically better than most of the male rappers out there — Yes, I’m gonna say it… I don’t get the credit that I deserve.
Men run the hip hop game, let’s be honest.

On being an underrated femcee:

When I look at my verses and the wordplay and the metaphors and all that stuff, outside of a hot new artist or a hot new song,
I’ve put in my work lyrically, and people act like it doesn’t exist.
With all that said, there’s nothing to do but keep it moving. Before, I used to get upset about it but now it drives me. I’m gonna keep on playing, keep on having fun and keep on giving my fans what they expect from me, which is greatness. I’m not going to allow that to deter me. I’m super duper excited to get back into the studio.

On working with Ciara:

People are going to love [Ciara's] new album. I love it. I was supposed to only do one song for her album, and I think I’m going to end up doing two because I just love what she’s doing. I’m so proud and I’m really excited for people to hear it.

On Lil’ Wayne playing her love interest in ‘High School’:

We kept on laughing the whole time. He was like, ‘Stop laughing.’ And I was like, ‘Alright.’ And I would burst out laughing again… Wayne said that we had to kiss. He was like, ‘Yo, one thing that’s gonna sell it is that if we really kiss.’ And I was like, ‘ehhhh.’ Not only is he my boss, but he’s also my brother…
Wayne is still so sexy. I texted Wayne, I was like, ‘Yo, you gon’ have all the chicks back on your… when this video come out’. He looks like a piece of art because he’s all tatted up, and it’s just so sexy, black and beautiful.

…Post your thoughts!

When you consider the bulk of male rappers today sound like 2 chainz and Trinidad james, then she's telling the truth :coffee:

I'm not here for pop Nicki or the Nicki that thought it wise to come for Mariah at that AI auditions. For that she can never be forgiven. :umm: however I remember the mixtape Nicki and the Nicki who stole every song she was featured on in 2010, and yes the girl has mad flow.

When you consider the bulk of male rappers today sound like 2 chainz and Trinidad james, then she's telling the truth :coffee:

I'm not here for pop Nicki or the Nicki that thought it wise to come for Mariah at that AI auditions. For that she can never be forgiven. :umm: however I remember the mixtape Nicki and the Nicki who stole every song she was featured on in 2010, and yes the girl has mad flow.

I'm definitely not a fan but I agree

IMO, Nicki hasn't put out a good verse since 2010. Kendrick Lamar easily, J. Cole, Odd Future, and even Drake are far better lyrically (sure the latter had "Started from the Middle-Class," but I'll take that over "Stupid Høe" anyday lol). The established legends Nas, Big Boi, and André 3000 are spitting fire these days too. Sorry but she's not even close lol.

She wasn't including Drake in her statement

She was including everyone except:

Drake

jayZ

Kanye

Lil Wayne

Eminem

That's all I can think of.. No one of those other irrelevants you mention can outdo Nicki Minaj..

They definitely can though. Maybe if Nicki stopped trying to be Homie Da Clown she can put out a decent album. Her features>Her album songs. At least the ppl that RedSimba listed are consistently good.

• Upvote 4

She wasn't including Drake in her statement

She was including everyone except:

Drake

jayZ

Kanye

Lil Wayne

Eminem

That's all I can think of.. No one of those other irrelevants you mention can outdo Nicki Minaj..

Kendrick had the most critically-acclaimed rap album in recent years. I don't even particularly care for Odd Future, but they have a loyal following and are quite successful for an independent act. In any case, I was speaking purely on lyrical skill ~ not chart stats and cheap gimmicks :lol:

They definitely can though. Maybe if Nicki stopped trying to be Homie Da Clown she can put out a decent album. Her features>Her album songs. At least the ppl that RedSimba listed are consistently good.

:lmao:

Yeah I agree, the features was where she shined best ~ especially Kanye's "Monster," I still give that one props.

IMO, Nicki hasn't put out a good verse since 2010. Kendrick Lamar easily, J. Cole, Odd Future, and even Drake are far better lyrically (sure the latter had "Started from the Middle-Class," but I'll take that over "Stupid Høe" anyday lol). The established legends Nas, Big Boi, and André 3000 are spitting fire these days too. Sorry but she's not even close lol.

I remember when you would'nt even say a mean thing about the artist you didn't like. Now you throw shade like a pro :tear:

I'm so proud of you. :clapping::good:-_-

She aint lyin. Romans Revenge her verses were as sick as Em's maybe even sicker. She can definitely hold her own with the best males in the game which is why they all respect her as a mc and wanted to work with her. Anybody who says otherwise is a damn lie. Point. Blank.

And this is coming from someone who couldnt stand the bitch at first. But I will NEVER EVER be here for POP Nicki, even tho I understand that career move.

• Upvote 1

Jarryl has truly revolutionized the gif game LOL

I told him that! :lmao: These old school legends have me rolling! :lmao:

MariahWhoMe_zps51f775e4.gif

MariahIknow_zpsd255e3d7.gif

For real yall thanks LOL, and I got alot more coming lol

YouBettaSangitGirlDionneampChaka_zps8e5a9eae.gif

YesGirlPatti_zps573eed98.gif

• Upvote 3