'90s Survivor: 1990

TwistedElegance™

oTqosl3.png

Writer(s): Lisa Stansfield, Ian Devaney, Andy Morris

Producer(s): Ian Devaney, Andy Morris

Label: Arista

Lisa Stansfield's inclusion in our Top 10 might be a surprise to some but it was a goal of mine to get her there and I think it's a well-deserved spot. Reaching No. 1 in a dozen countries and Top 10 in several more, Stansfield became the first white female from the UK to achieve a US R&B No. 1 hit. The spoken-word intro came about when Stansfield's boyfriend (co-writer and producer Ian Devaney) and bandmate Andy Morris were sitting around the piano. Andy played some chords and Lisa began talking in a low voice, similar to the style of Barry White. They liked the way it sounded and put it on the record. Interestingly, she re-recorded the song in 1992 as a duet with White.

this song is a classic and it deserved to reach no.1 wherever it did. I still hear it on the radio station that plays the old hits. I think it's 100.1 fm and they play this song along with Alright and Escapade and other hits. I prefer the original than the one with Barry White.
  • Upvote 1

Vw8VeRy.jpg

Writer(s): Mariah Carey, Ben Margulies

Producer(s): Walter Afanasieff

Label: CBS

Landing at No. 8 in our Top 10 was Mariah Carey with the first of what will undoubtedly be MANY entries for the biggest artist of the decade. Originally intended for her sophomore album, the stunning 'Love Takes Time' made such an impact on her record company that they stopped presses of her debut album to include it, apparently despite resistance from Carey who wanted it for Emotions. Afanasieff recalls, "Tommy says 'We've got this Mariah Carey album done, but there's a song that she and Ben Margulies wrote that is phenomenal, and I want to try everything we can to put it on the album.' He said, 'You only have a couple of days, but are you ready to cut it?' I couldn't believe the opportunity that it was. I'd never produced anything by myself up until that time." 'Love Takes Time' reached No. 1 in its ninth week on the Hot 100 and spent three weeks at the top of the chart. It also topped every other Billboard chart for which it was eligible (including Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Adult Contemporary). However, 'Love Takes Time' failed to emulate its US success in any other market except Canada. It reached the Top 20 in Australia and Top 40 in the UK.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what you mean. I touched on all its glory. :unsure:

THAT WOULD BE SO FUNNY IF IT WAS TRUE :lmao: You touched on 1 part of it's glory sir

Excellent, well thought-out descriptions for #10 thru #8. ^_^ I understand Almighty's golden presence is so overwhelming, it's difficult to pull one's self together. :P

Basically

m3KXqua.jpg

Writer(s): Janet Jackson, James Harris III, Terry Lewis

Producer(s): Jam & Lewis

Label: A&M

Scratching and clawing its way to No. 7 in our Top 10 was the living legend Janet Jackson with 'Alright'. It has a great video.

tumblr_lstptzZEex1qax4ha.gif

Excellent, well thought-out descriptions for #10 thru #8. ^_^ rI understand Almighty's golden presence is so overwhelming, it's difficult to pull one's self together. :P

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

m3KXqua.jpg

Scratching and clawing its way to No. 7 in our Top 10 was the living legend Janet Jackson with 'Alright'. It has a great video.

Bye!!!

tumblr_mmxdwamgZe1qcvaxho1_500_zps80fb6539.gif

Still pressed about it are we? Need me to write the summary. :lmao:

Yes it slayed so many of their faves. Yes write the summary for "Al-Might" :lol:

m3KXqua_zpsf43980db.jpg

"Alright" samples Lyn Collins' 1972 song "Think (About It)". The song peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100, number two on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, and number one on the Hot Dance Club Play. While it was to become the only single of the seven released off the Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 album to not hit the top two on the Billboard Hot 100, it became the fourth consecutive single from the album to reach number one on the dance chart, helping Jackson break a record set by Madonna. (Madonna has since broke the record again with a string of eighteen consecutive number-one dance hits from 1999–2008.) "Alright" earned Jackson a 1991 Grammy Award nomination for Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female. The UK 7" single contains the Spanish version of "Come Back to Me", entitled "Vuelve a Mi", in various versions. The song was recorded again in January 1990 with Heavy D for the music video. Jackson has performed the song on all of her tours.

• Upvote 3

m3KXqua_zpsf43980db.jpg

"Alright" samples Lyn Collins' 1972 song "Think (About It)". The song peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100, number two on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, and number one on the Hot Dance Club Play. While it was to become the only single of the seven released off the Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 album to not hit the top two on the Billboard Hot 100, it became the fourth consecutive single from the album to reach number one on the dance chart, helping Jackson break a record set by Madonna. (Madonna has since broke the record again with a string of eighteen consecutive number-one dance hits from 1999–2008.) "Alright" earned Jackson a 1991 Grammy Award nomination for Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female. The UK 7" single contains the Spanish version of "Come Back to Me", entitled "Vuelve a Mi", in various versions. The song was recorded again in January 1990 with Heavy D for the music video. Jackson has performed the song on all of her tours.

Well done. :shifty::lol:

m3KXqua.jpg

PRESSED stans of a lesser irrelevant individual (who shall remain nameless), voted this iconic song off in hopes that a certain flop artist and her stolen gem will reach #1. Greater than most songs in the lesser girls' entire musical catalog, Alright is one of seven top five singles from the classic Rhythm Nation album by the Queen Of Pop, Janet Jackson.

Bask in the greatness that is Alright as others plot and scheme to secure a prehistoric flop an undeserved #1 spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgeAUejUZhg

Much better... :yep:

• Upvote 1