Madonna misses #1 for first time since 2000, "Empire" #1

Bailey

I'm all for discourse on race, but it needs to be intelligent and thoughtful as the topic itself will elicit emotional responses as each person speaks their truth. The manner that it happened in this thread is nothing but baiting, and I'm asking just once that we remain more thoughtful. This will be the last time I ask.

I apologize Angela, I really do.

I just LOST it when I was attacked for calling madonna a "white woman" and labeled as a racist 

but when that Neon character called me the N-Word and said it wasn't racist... I was just baffled and acted irrationally!!!

I hope this sentiment changes on the board, esp from the staff, because those attitudes are damaging to the mind. 

Thank you for even allowing this type of discussion on the board <3 

I'm liking Rebel Heart more than MDNA. She's so much better when she's vulnerable.

The song I keep coming back to on the Empire soundtrack is Conqueror. Arguably the most generic one on there but I love it.

Liking repel charts more than oldna should be the standard. They are both awful but repel is a bit less cringe worthy.

I think it was Matt who first predicted the drop, and baby did it DROP

Madonna “Rebel Heart” Drops 80% in Second Week– Second Biggest Chart Fall

Madonna didn’t beat herself this week. Her “Rebel Heart” dropped 80% in its second week on the charts, falling from number 2 to number 16. “Rebel Heart” sold 22,800 copies the week after its debut. When it launched, it sold around 120,00 copies. Her last album, “MDNA” had an 86% drop in its second week. So it’s a win-lose situation. This is the second biggest chart drop. On this week’s hitsdailydouble chart, Luke Bryan’s latest album dropped 63%

“Rebel Heart” suffers from the same problem as its recent predecessors– no hit single. The songs are good, and well produced. But no one’s looking for a hit. Madonna was once queen of the pop singles. But that’s when she had real tunesmiths writing for her. I heard her tell Howard Stern that she didn’t go back to songwriters like Billy Steinberg and Tom   Kelly, who wrote “Like a Virgin” because she didn’t like their other songs. How utterly ridiculous. They had a dozen other hits without Madonna.

But gone gone gone are Patrick Leonard, Steven Bray, William Orbit, and all the people who made hits for Madonna. In their place now are production teams who come and go, and have no vested interest in her success. They are also not radio friendly. After Daft Punk did so well with Nile Rodgers, who produced “Like a Virgin,” she should have asked him to come back. “Rebel Heart” has interesting lyrics, but you can’t sing along or dance to them.

Madonna’s total sales this week were 24,761. On the total chart, including all streaming etc, she finished at number 19.

Someone said this on another forum and I think it's 100% on point...

"She's 57 (right?), and most music buyers are teens. When I was a teen, in late 90s and early 00s, I wasn't interested in Tina Turner , Diana Ross or Elton John. I preferred Janet and Michael. The problem with Madonna is she's not appealing to young music buyers because of her age, and not appealing to her old fans because of her up-to-date music. Barbara Streisand, for instance, is making music for her fans. She's not trying to be "modern" and appealing to the youth, and it works. So in short, Madonna's music is too modern for older buyers, and she is too old for young buyers. It's as simple as that."

In September of last year, Buzzfeed ran an article about the demographic of music consumers. Instead of copying pasting the link, I will paraphrase. I am including independent research.

1. Who Buys CDs/Digital Music? 
    • ​61% of music consumers are 36 years old and older.
    • 63% of the digital download consumers are 26 and older. 
  2. What about those darn kids?
  • ​​13-17 year olds only cover 7% of CD purchasers
  • 13% with Digital downloads (down 12 percentage points from previous year)
  •  

3. So what about those darn kids?

• ​​49% of teens and college students (ages 16-20) spent $0 on music per month on music
    • Basically teens are illegally download or streaming their music

That being said.. The poster is right about Madonna trying to appeal to the youth instead of her brand.. The 50 year old gay men who thinks she's talented

In September of last year, Buzzfeed ran an article about the demographic of music consumers. Instead of copying pasting the link, I will paraphrase. I am including independent research.

1. Who Buys CDs/Digital Music? 
    • ​61% of music consumers are 36 years old and older.
    • 63% of the digital download consumers are 26 and older. 
  2. What about those darn kids?
  • ​​13-17 year olds only cover 7% of CD purchasers
  • 13% with Digital downloads (down 12 percentage points from previous year)
  •  

3. So what about those darn kids?

• ​​49% of teens and college students (ages 16-20) spent $0 on music per month on music
    • Basically teens are illegally download or streaming their music

I doubt the bolded, even if you were to post receipts. Unless, it's basically older buying for younger. lol 

Yes, it does. A 36 - mid 40's year old causal Madonna fan may not care/be turned off by what's she doing now, but is buying music for their younger relatives, which supports what I posted...

Even if that was a factor, which it isn't, anyone can purchase music nowadays... It doesn't always have to be gifted.

Don't you dare ruin my argument by putting it under a microscope.

If you read #3 you would see more teens are turning to free streaming services instead of pay-to-own formats compared to adults with cash flow who usually purchases their music. 

To deny my argument based on something you can't prove... "like gifting" or "taking a rifle and shooting" or "crazed stans purchasing multiple copies" is silly talk and I will not have it

Even if that was a factor, which is isn't since anyone can purchase music nowadays, It doesn't always have to be gifted. Don't you dare ruin my argument by putting it under a microscope. If you read #3 you would know more teens are turning to free streaming services instead of pay-to-own formats 

It needs to put under the microscope, because those older buyers might not be necessarily spending money on artists from their generation. :coffee:

Either way, she made music that isn't connecting with buyers. Are you happy now? :umm:  :sigh:  

It needs to put under the microscope, because those older buyers might not be necessarily spending money on artists from their generation. :coffee:

Either way, she made music that isn't connecting with buyers. Are you happy now? :umm:  :sigh:  

It doesn't matter which generation the music comes from or how they correlate with the artist. The point is, teens aren't swiping their cards or spending their own money on music and adults 36+ are.. 

No.. bc music buyers are anyone from the age of 13-60+.. I cannot judge Madonna's music bc I don't listen to it but based on the Living for Love song, it just isn't really what her base wants (compared to Hung Up from 1903 or whenever).

The point is she made music that her everyone hated

why does the discussion have to be so complicated? Why can't the reasoning be just simple as it appears to be, Madonna has had a great run, I cannot think of any artist, esp. female, that after decades in the game is still slaying the charts up and down, talent or not..Barbara may be an exception but she's talented :)

"you can't stay up up up forever" Janet

It doesn't matter which generation the music comes from or how they correlate with the artist. The point is, teens aren't swiping their cards or spending their own money on music and adults 36+ are.. 

Teens aren't spending their money, because the 36+ year olds are buying it for them.  :yep:  :w00t:  :coffee:

No.. bc music buyers are anyone from the age of 13-60+.. I cannot judge Madonna's music bc I don't listen to it but based on the Living for Love song, it just isn't really what her base wants (compared to Hung Up from 1903 or whenever).

The point is she made music that her everyone hated

Isn't that basically what I said?  :sigh:  :umm:

why does the discussion have to be so complicated? Why can't the reasoning be just simple as it appears to be, Madonna has had a great run, I cannot think of any artist, esp. female, that after decades in the game is still slaying the charts up and down, talent or not..Barbara may be an exception but she's talented :)

"you can't stay up up up forever" Janet

That is true. I just was sharing a comment that resonated with me about this particular project. 

Game just had to make it complicated, though.  :sigh: