Uh... "Nina" Trailer debuts...

Aquaria

They ain't playing with Zoe

1. "I'll tell you what freedom is to me- No Fear... I mean really, no fear." #NinaSimone

695 retweets612 likes

Retweet

More

.@zoesaldana Cool story but please take Nina's name out your mouth. For the rest of your life.

5:26 PM - 2 Mar 2016

When the idea of Zoe playing her was in motion..the public reacted in an unpleased way then. So to move forward with it was not a good move at all. She shoulda bell'd like Zendaya did with the Aaliyah movie 

exactly! I think her and the producers thought if she'd darken her skin for the role, which what most people were complaining about her being too light, would ease the tension but it looks like it didn't.

Zoe has the TALENT to pull this off. Regardless of her ethnicity.

But I'm surprised they couldn't find an African American woman to portray her.

Yeah that's the issue, the makeup and prosthetics are giving me Klump teas. :umm:  I mean let's face it this is black face. -_- 

• Upvote 1

This article was interesting.  Apparently the whole storyline in the movie is some bs.  The relationship portrayed in the movie between Nina and her manager is made to be a love type thing.  But hes supposedly gay in real life and that never happened.

This is sad really that they have a biopic that could have been so much more they mess up like this. 

Nina Simone's Daughter: "It's Unfortunate Zoe Saldana Is Being Attacked So Viciously"

Lisa Simone Kelly, the singer's only child, talked to Time about the recent tweet slamming Saldana that was sent out from the verified Twitter account representing her mother's estate. Kelly said she was unaware of the tweet. Simone's family said they hired a family friend to manage the official website and Facebook page years ago but when Time contacted the friend, Aaron Overfield, he did not return requests for comment.

"It's unfortunate that Zoe Saldana is being attacked so viciously when she is someone who is part of a larger picture," said Kelly. "It's clear she brought her best to this project, but unfortunately she's being attacked when she's not responsible for any of the writing or the lies."

Simone's family has been clear about their disapproval with the controversial Nina biopic, which they say falsely depicts the relationship between Simone and her manager Clifton Henderson, played by David Oyelowo.

"The movie is about a relationship between my mother and Clifton which never took place. They never had an amorous relationship," Simone's daughter said, adding that Henderson is gay. "The project has been tainted from the very beginning. Clearly, it is not the truth about my mother's life and everyone now knows that. This is not how you want your loved ones remembered."

Kelly said after watching the trailer for the film, which premieres on April 22, she "really didn't feel much of anything except for poor Zoe."

Saldana has been criticized for having paler skin than Simone - the actress wore a prosthetic nose and dark makeup for her role in the film. Kelly told Time her family is "not upset with Zoe" but they don't think she was the right choice appearance-wise.

"There are many superb actresses of color who could more adequately represent my mother and could bring her to the screen with the proper script, the proper team and a sense of wanting to bring the truth of my mother's journey to the masses," said Kelly. "And Nina, in my opinion, doesn't do any of that."

This article was interesting.  Apparently the whole storyline in the movie is some bs.  The relationship portrayed in the movie between Nina and her manager is made to be a love type thing.  But hes supposedly gay in real life and that never happened.

This is sad really that they have a biopic that could have been so much more they mess up like this. 

Her longtime manager was her husband. Watch What Happened, Miss Simone. 

"It's unfortunate that Zoe Saldana is being attacked so viciously when she is someone who is part of a larger picture," said Kelly. "It's clear she brought her best to this project, but unfortunately she's being attacked when she's not responsible for any of the writing or the lies."

!!!! I'm saying. I've seen this too much with biopics. People blaming the actor/actress when there's many people behind the scenes to point the finger at too.  

Anyway - buying Nina's Greatest Hits was one of the best decisions I made at 16 

!!!! I'm saying. I've seen this too much with biopics. People blaming the actor/actress when there's many people behind the scenes to point the finger at too.  

Anyway - buying Nina's Greatest Hits was one of the best decisions I made at 16 

which is why she shouldn't of even did a biopic that had lies. I think she maybe just wanted to be nominated for an award like an emmy or something for doing this.

• 2 weeks later...

She could've turned down the role out of respect. I have no sympathy for her. 

Exactly. She wanted the coins and Hollywood WOWZ ACCLAIMZzs!!! so bad that she didn't even think about it for a second. 

How is she going to avoid the obvious black face make up? How is she ok with it after looking in the mirror? She didn't care so she gets 0 sympathy votes from me. 

And this just proves that she knows nothing about Nina's legacy. She and the whole team can say that they are fans etc but they just showed their true colors with this mess.

• Upvote 1

I watched the trailer, and the story is complete bull. How do I know? Because I watched the documentary on her life on Netflix.

Zoe's accent goes in and out in the trailer, and she does not act like her at all. There is going to be huge backlash from the black community over the colorism going on.

Nina's story is a sad story, and they decided to Hollywood her story. It was bad enough that her amazing documentary did not win the Oscar, but Hollywood "pays" tribute to her via this trash.

Don't get me wrong, the cinematography looks amazing, and you can tell that they put money into this. I wonder who has the rights to her music? I don't think it's the family, because I heard some of her music in the trailer. Clearly, they didn't have the rights to use Nina's real singing voice.