NY TIMES Give a Riveting Review of the Tour

By NYTimes.com | Music | MUSIC REVIEW At a certain point in the middle of their lives it is good for pop stars to go away for a while — not just for a year, but even for 5 or 10. They come to understand what they’ve done in the world. They can frame it all better. The river of one’s work is over here, and the task of mapping it over there; generally you have to abandon one to attend to the other. That’s not quite Janet Jackson’s story.

For 15 years or so she has been looking over the contours of her career semi-regularly, so that the map and the river are one. She’s on tour now, promoting her second greatest-hits album, “Number Ones” — released in 2009 — and she played over the weekend at Radio City Music Hall. Friday’s show, the first of three, seemed just about the realest, most clear-minded retrospective she could do.

Not that Ms. Jackson has been away from music for long. In the past few years she’s gone deeper into the film business, as an actor and producer. But she was on the road as recently as the end of 2008 — her “Rock Witchu” tour, bedeviled by migraines and canceled dates — and headlined the Essence Music Festival last year in New Orleans. Nevertheless, Friday’s concert was unusually self-knowing, as if she’d returned from a long silence and felt ready to give the truly boiled-down version of her career.

No need now for Madison Square Garden; pyro, fantasy-circusy sequences; and narratives of revenge, healing or the freeing of the libido. This is the story of numbers, the real story.

The content of the “Number Ones: Up Close and Personal” tour is her No. 1 singles, in various markets. So: 35 cities, 30-some songs drawn from the 34 on “Number Ones” and a reasonable duration (a little under two hours). Much of the rest was fitting it all in via medleys and elisions, simple stage blocking, and costume changes.

The concert worked through five phases, not strictly chronological but drawn from the mood of the songs and the choreography of their videos. 1. Cold and domineering, with robot dancers. 2. Sentimental and courtly, in a pale purple dress. 3. Relaxed and athletic, in black street clothes. 4. Aggressive and dramatic. And then the encore, when she wore white and received love. (She included video clips and a slide show; she dedicates particular songs to each city, and on Friday New York got “The Best Things in Life Are Free,” her 1992 duet with Luther Vandross, and the 1989 “Rhythm Nation.”)

She worked hard and appeared not to be lip-syncing. The metallic-stretchy suit in Phase 1, creating the impression of longer legs, looked torturous; so did her furrowed brow. And the stylized choreography then and in Phase 4, with limbs making constructivist right angles and index fingers pointing to the ground, came adapted from music videos that are in some cases 25 years old. The worked-out motions feel necessary to her concerts, and she has never abandoned them.

Despite the anxiety involved in being a Jackson, she finds her greatest power when implying that her music is no big thing, just serene happiness. This was why Phase 3 felt like the strongest section by far. Ms. Jackson has cast a lot of baleful looks in her filmed life. But her well-rested smile remains the best of her natural attributes, way above her vaporous voice and her neutral body language. (Unlike most great stage performers Ms. Jackson has no music in her walk.)

Here, in black jeans and tank top, she sang “Doesn’t Really Matter,” “Escapade,” “Love Will Never Do (Without You),” “When I Think of You,” “All For You”: medium-cardio love songs, not so much ecstatic as tension free, and less tied to her brother Michael’s vocal mannerisms. All of that works for Ms. Jackson. It’s the closest she gets to representing life as lived rather than as performed.

Janet Jackson’s “Number Ones: Up Close and Personal” tour continues on Monday at Radio City Music Hall, then moves to Constitution Hall in Washington on Tuesday; janetjackson.com.

wtgn54.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have one... :coffee: let's stay real... i'm not here for stan-delusion

Then you obviously don't want to see Janet get back on top and see her succeeed.

Don't you get, 'stan-delusion' is exactly what makes a star a 'star'.

What is wrong with you just going 'with the flow', acting like she's live even if you don't believe it will only create positive energy and will in turn translate to further good press and new fans.

Do you really think gaga would be as big as she appears if it wasn't for her deluded 'little monsters'?

Delusion is all part of the illusion of gradeur. Don't be a party popper and just join it while things are going well for Janet.

I'm glad I didn't go some friends told me she wasn't dancing hard. I became a fan of Janet during the VR era so if she not performing on that level.. I would have been let down. I gave my ticket up to a friend they enjoyed it but said she did alot of walking back and forth around the stage and didn't dance as hard... I don't know why Janet or even usher think thats ok...

I'm glad I didn't go some friends told me she wasn't dancing hard. I became a fan of Janet during the VR era so if she not performing on that level.. I would have been let down. I gave my ticket up to a friend they enjoyed it but said she did alot of walking back and forth around the stage and didn't dance as hard... I don't know why Janet or even usher think thats ok...

That's great. :wave:

If she's tricking muthafukaz ..whats the problem? :mellow:

Sounds like Janets the WINNER and you're the LOSER for even putting a magnifying glass on this as a so called "stan".

The master of lippin is to come of as being believable, if not..then whats the point?

If she's tricking muthafukaz ..whats the problem? :mellow:

Sounds like Janets the WINNER and you're the LOSER for even putting a magnifying glass on this as a so called "stan".

The master of lippin is to come of as being believable, if not..then whats the point?

Pretty much. :filenails:

u lost out my friend

Then you obviously don't want to see Janet get back on top and see her succeeed.

Don't you get, 'stan-delusion' is exactly what makes a star a 'star'.

What is wrong with you just going 'with the flow', acting like she's live even if you don't believe it will only create positive energy and will in turn translate to further good press and new fans.

Do you really think gaga would be as big as she appears if it wasn't for her deluded 'little monsters'?

What does lip syncing have to do with "staying on top"... and why would i care if she stayed on top or not.... i dont care if she's on top or in the middle or on the left... she's still my fav

that's callled being DELUSIONAL - ignorance is bliss for you... but stupidity to me...

No you don't :filenails: ....Let's keep it cute...I'm not here for tired share being thrown at the queen.

i wasn't throwing shade at Janet... i was speaking the truth...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Her pre-recorded vocals on this tour are the best she's ever done.

Thank you Fanka... Thank you

You crazy...It was a phenomenal show.

I was @ fridaynights show in ny janet came on late and still killed it from the first eye blink untill the last wave @ the crowd.. that bitch gave us everything she had and nothing less...

the energy level was thru the roof not a dull moment even when the sound people fucked up her head mic she kept it going... And there were live singing vocals so unless you were there pay it and push ^_^

Archived