Fighting at Burger King over a damn double whopper

JoeJoe

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:mellow: Time to be another race :umm:

Only black people tend to feel this way.

When one black person in America does something bad, we somehow believe that it reflects on the other 30 million black people in the country. When one white person in America does something bad, we somehow believe that it's just about that one individuals bad behavior.

That's a psychotic way to approach and live in the world.

I would never, EVER be ashamed to be black (not when I'm in the company of people like James Baldwin, Toni Morrison, Shirley Chisholm, Jay Smooth, Cornel West, etc, etc, etc) just because a few people in some videos posted to the web wild out.

White people wild out on video, too. I don't hear white people saying they're ashamed to be white.

Only black people tend to feel this way.

When one black person in America does something bad, we somehow believe that it reflects on the other 30 million black people in the country. When one white person in America does something bad, we somehow believe that it's just about that one individuals bad behavior.

That's a psychotic way to approach and live in the world.

I would never, EVER be ashamed to be black (not when I'm in the company of people like James Baldwin, Toni Morrison, Shirley Chisholm, Jay Smooth, Cornel West, etc, etc, etc) just because a few people in some videos posted to the web wild out.

White people wild out on video, too. I don't hear white people saying they're ashamed to be white.

It's much more than that. When you're the token Black, you represent/are a reflection of the entire race.

It's much more than that. When you're the token Black, you represent/are a reflection of the entire race.

That's white supremacist thinking right there. We've been conditioned to believe that. And the whole of society has bought into it. But I reject it. I'm an individual and a human being. I'm no more likely to do good or bad than any other human being, regardless of their color.

That's white supremacist thinking right there. We've been conditioned to believe that. And the whole of society has bought into it. But I reject it. I'm an individual and a human being. I'm no more likely to do good or bad than any other human being, regardless of their color.

Are you gonna sit there with your tears, all alone with your fears, and tell me you've never been in a situation where another race has put you on a pedestal as the representation of the entire Black race? :umm: Being that I go to a Black school, I hear this all the time during class (given the topic is brought up in a discussion). It's not a supremacist mindset. It's "factual".

Are you gonna sit there with your tears, all alone with your fears, and tell me you've never been in a situation where another race has put you on a pedestal as the representation of the entire Black race? :umm: Being that I go to a Black school, I hear this all the time during class (given the topic is brought up in a discussion). It's not a supremacist mindset. It's "factual".

Where does the mindset come from though? It comes from the racist beginnings of America--also known as white supremacy. I have over two dozen books on my shelf by expert political scientists, anthropologists, psychologists, sociologists, and historians (who are black AND white) to prove it. That is to say, when I say this, I'm not speaking of anecdotal asides. I'm not using my personal, subjective experience. I'm dealing with real FACTS. And I happen to believe proven facts even when they contradict my personal opinion.

I have OFTEN been the only black person in the room and have had white people say to me: "Oh, but you're so smart." "You're so articulate." "You're not like THEM."

I regard those things--as I regard the idea that one bad black person represents the whole race--as insulting and racist.

Yes, I do.

Ugh, why is it always black people.............

Look deeper. It's NOT always black people. It's ALSO white people. It's just that when things are presented through a skewed lens, like they are in Western civilizations, it only looks like it's ALWAYS black people.

Where does the mindset come from though? It comes from the racist beginnings of America--also known as white supremacy. I have over two dozen books on my shelf by expert political scientists, anthropologists, psychologists, sociologists, and historians (who are black AND white) to prove it. That is to say, when I say this, I'm not speaking of anecdotal asides. I'm not using my personal, subjective experience. I'm dealing with real FACTS. And I happen to believe proven facts even when they contradict my personal opinion.

I have OFTEN been the only black person in the room and have had white people say to me: "Oh, but you're so smart." "You're so articulate." "You're not like THEM."

I regard those things--as I regard the idea that one bad black person represents the whole race--as insulting and racist.

Yes, I do.

The contrary invalidates your entire argument. If you weren't so articulate and educated, those same White ppl would group you with the rest of their preconceived notions about the race. Consequently, you'd represent the race.

The contrary invalidates your entire argument. If you weren't so articulate and educated, those same White ppl would group you with the rest of their preconceived notions about the race. Consequently, you'd represent the race.

No. You misunderstand. It only works with BAD stuff. I'm an individual who's "not like the rest of the race" when I achieve something. But if I were to do something bad? Then I'm "just like the rest of the ******s."

Why don't I represent the race when I do something good, but I DO when I do something bad? Because they want to believe that the race as whole is bad.

THAT'S racism.

What I'm saying to you is that I don't believe white people when they disapprove of my behavior and I don't believe them when they approve of my behavior. I don't trust their judgment because it's tainted by a warped racial lens. Their gaze is defective and I reject it whether they view me positively or negatively.

And I also reject that my good or bad behavior reflects on the entire race. I guess what I'm saying is that I reject the conditioning of white supremacy. But you don't have to reject it if you feel comfortable embracing it.

Look deeper. It's NOT always black people. It's ALSO white people. It's just that when things are presented through a skewed lens, like they are in Western civilizations, it only looks like it's ALWAYS black people.

I have grown up around white people and black people, and yes white people do stuff like this too. Not as much though.

Get on a train and the inpector gets on, why is it the person without a ticket or pass is the only black person on the carriage - Ive seen it time and again.

Sitting in a restaurant and everyone is being normal, then you suddenly hear yelling and screeching - yep you bet, its black people.

Lets be honest, too many black people behave as if they just escaped from a damn zoo.

There are negative things associated with black people which are sterotypes which come with a certain amount of truth. Of course MOST black people don't behave that way, but comparitively too many do.

The above video is typical.

If you want to talk about white sterotypes we can too.......walking past a pub at night and people are fighting - usually white people! Someone being sick in the gutter with her skirt around her waist, yep a white chick....works both ways, A big problem with black society is that it has too many apologists and people who seem in denial.

No. You misunderstand. It only works with BAD stuff. I'm an individual who's "not like the rest of the race" when I achieve something. But if I were to do something bad? Then I'm "just like the rest of the ******s."

Why don't I represent the race when I do something good, but I DO when I do something bad? Because they want to believe that the race as whole is bad.

THAT'S racism.

I'm not sure why that's so difficult to grasp.

That's not racism, I believe that's called prejudice.

And it works both ways in reality. Black ppl are expected to be exceptional in the fields of literature, arts, music, sports, etc. Whereas White ppl are expected to excel at things like business, education, etc. It's all about association. We associate disorderly conduct with Blacks, just like we associate trailer parks with Whites.

I have grown up around white people and black people, and yes white people do stuff like this too. Not as much though.

Get on a train and the inpector gets on, why is it the person without a ticket or pass is the only black person on the carriage - Ive seen it time and again.

Sitting in a restaurant and everyone is being normal, then you suddenly hear yelling and screeching - yep you bet, its black people.

Lets be honest, too many black people behave as if they just escaped from a damn zoo.

There are negative things associated with black people which are sterotypes which come with a certain amount of truth. Of course MOST black people don't behave that way, but comparitively too many do.

The above video is typical.

If you want to talk about white sterotypes we can too.......walking past a pub at night and people are fighting - usually white people! Someone being sick in the gutter with her skirt around her waist, yep a white chick....works both ways, A big problem with black society is that it has too many apologists and people who seem in denial.

Paul, I love you. But you cannot use anecdotal evidence to prove your point. You have to look at the sociological, governmental and psychological data. In other words, you need scientific evidence to prove your point and what you've provided is unscientific.

What's anecdotal evidence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

(1) Evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay is called anecdotal if there is doubt about its veracity; the evidence itself is considered untrustworthy.

(2) Evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalizing from an insufficient amount of evidence. For example "my grandfather smoked like a chimney and died healthy in a car crash at the age of 99" does not disprove the proposition that "smoking markedly increases the probability of cancer and heart disease at a relatively early age". In this case, the evidence may itself be true, but does not warrant the conclusion.

In both cases the conclusion is unreliable; it may not be untrue, but it doesn't follow from the "evidence".

Evidence can be anecdotal in both senses: "Goat yogurt prolongs life: I heard that a man in a mountain village who ate only yogurt lived to 120."

The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, such as evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts. Some anecdotal evidence does not qualify as scientific evidence because its nature prevents it from being investigated using the scientific method. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy and is sometimes informally referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc. Compare with hasty generalization). Anecdotal evidence is not necessarily representative of a "typical" experience; statistical evidence can more accurately determine how typical something is.

Too many essays going on here...i cant read all that

Austintina got it right....Unfortunately, thats how people view things

It happens in other things too...Muslims, Christians etc

That's not racism, I believe that's called prejudice.

And it works both ways in reality. Black ppl are expected to be exceptional in the fields of literature, arts, music, sports, etc. Whereas White ppl are expected to excel at things like business, education, etc. It's all about association. We associate disorderly conduct with Blacks, just like we associate trailer parks with Whites.

Prejudice is a generic term which means, essentially, to prejudge.

Now if you've prejudged someone based on that person's race, that's a specific type of prejudice called RACISM.

You don't have to believe me. But if you want proof for the experts in their fields, read:

THE NEW JIM CROW: MASS INCARCERATION IN THE AGE OF COLORBLINDNESS by Michelle Alexander

BLACKS AND THE LAW by Derrick Bell

THE HISTORY OF WHITE PEOPLE by Nell Irvin Painter

POST TRAUMATIC SLAVE SYNDROME by Dr. Joy DeGruy-Leary

TOWARD THE ABOLITION OF WHITENESS by David R. Roediger

Those authors are white and black.

There are 27 other books I could list for you, but I think you should start there.

Paul, I love you. But you cannot use anecdotal evidence to prove your point. You have to look at the sociological, governmental and psychological data. In other words, you need scientific evidence to prove your point and what you've provided is unscientific.

What's anecdotal evidence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

(1) Evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay is called anecdotal if there is doubt about its veracity; the evidence itself is considered untrustworthy.

(2) Evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalizing from an insufficient amount of evidence. For example "my grandfather smoked like a chimney and died healthy in a car crash at the age of 99" does not disprove the proposition that "smoking markedly increases the probability of cancer and heart disease at a relatively early age". In this case, the evidence may itself be true, but does not warrant the conclusion.

In both cases the conclusion is unreliable; it may not be untrue, but it doesn't follow from the "evidence".

Evidence can be anecdotal in both senses: "Goat yogurt prolongs life: I heard that a man in a mountain village who ate only yogurt lived to 120."

The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, such as evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts. Some anecdotal evidence does not qualify as scientific evidence because its nature prevents it from being investigated using the scientific method. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy and is sometimes informally referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc. Compare with hasty generalization). Anecdotal evidence is not necessarily representative of a "typical" experience; statistical evidence can more accurately determine how typical something is.

We are both using anecdotal evidence to support our claims.....I am claiming that these sterotypes based on black people do have grains of truth in them, you seem to be claiming that the sterotypes are completely false. We are both basing this on our obsevations.

Obviously it is difficult to use "factual" data with reference to the above types of behaviour unless criminal charges were brought and we can get the info on who was charged.

Obviously there are historical, economic and social factors that impact the black experience and therefore the behaviour is an expression of that experience, but I am looking purely on the surface level with regards to what I see around me.

ANother example is deadbeat dads with kids from numerous women, it is the stereotype that black men cant be faithful and have kids all over the place that they don't take care of......now this is not true in MOST cases, but it IS true in comparison to other races in the USA and in the UK. That one is easy to prove by looking at the stats on the amount of children born out of wedlock.......

Stereotypes often do have grains of truth to them.

Too many essays going on here...i cant read all that

Austintina got it right....Unfortunately, thats how people view things

It happens in other things too...Muslims, Christians etc

See, but you, just like Austin, are missing my point.

I don't deny that this is "just how things are." But unlike the two of you, I've never been satisfied with the surface of things. My mind instinctively wants to know WHY things are the way they are. So I studied that in undergrad and I studied that in grad and I'm studying it in my Ph.D. program.

The "why" is racism, no matter how much people want to deny it. And the black people who feel they have to perform a certain way--or not perform a certain way--because of how it reflects on the entire race, are subjects of internalized racism. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of research on all of this for anyone who cares to read it--as opposed to respnding from personal experience without any facts at hand.

Archived