Fighting at Burger King over a damn double whopper

JoeJoe

Prejudice is a generic term which means, essentially, to prejudge.

Now if you've prejudged someone based on that person's race, that's a specific type of prejudice called RACISM.

You don't have to believe me. But if you want proof for the experts in their fields, read:

THE NEW JIM CROW: MASS INCARCERATION IN THE AGE OF COLORBLINDNESS by Michelle Alexander

BLACKS AND THE LAW by Derrick Bell

THE HISTORY OF WHITE PEOPLE by Nell Irvin Painter

POST TRAUMATIC SLAVE SYNDROME by Dr. Joy DeGruy-Leary

TOWARD THE ABOLITION OF WHITENESS by David R. Roediger

Those authors are white and black.

There are 27 other books I could list for you, but I think you should start there.

I believe racism is defined as the belief that one's race is superior to the others, just based on what I've learned. Passing judgment on a group of persons (which is generalizing anyway) is defined as prejudice. And judging by the definition of prejudice, I would say it's prejudice, not racism.

But you can't use scientific evidence and research to prove that it's based on supremacy. Because supremacy in itself is not a measurable variable. Can you measure racism? Can you measure discrimination? No you can't. It's inconsistent. The best way to determine it is using personal accounts of the situation. I've been hearing stories since I was in high school about how White ppl are shocked when a Black person speaks eloquently, or when they exhibit a level of class and professionalism on a day to day basis. We just had a discussion about this in Victimology yesterday. When you don't reinforce the stereotypes of a Black person, then for some reason, you aren't grouped with those who do. Somehow you're different.

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're saying that in that it's based on a concept that we instill in ourselves. But when that same concept manifests itself in a number of situations, it can only lead one to believe that the concept is true.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only black people tend to feel this way.

When one black person in America does something bad, we somehow believe that it reflects on the other 30 million black people in the country. When one white person in America does something bad, we somehow believe that it's just about that one individuals bad behavior.

That's a psychotic way to approach and live in the world.

I would never, EVER be ashamed to be black (not when I'm in the company of people like James Baldwin, Toni Morrison, Shirley Chisholm, Jay Smooth, Cornel West, etc, etc, etc) just because a few people in some videos posted to the web wild out.

White people wild out on video, too. I don't hear white people saying they're ashamed to be white.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

When a white kid shoots up a school you don't hear other white people saying "time to be another race"

See, but you, just like Austin, are missing my point.

I don't deny that this is "just how things are." But unlike the two of you, I've never been satisfied with the surface of things. My mind instinctively wants to know WHY things are the way they are. So I studied that in undergrad and I studied that in grad and I'm studying it in my Ph.D. program.

The "why" is racism, no matter how much people want to deny it. And the black people who feel they have to perform a certain way--or not perform a certain way--because of how it reflects on the entire race, are subjects of internalized racism. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of research on all of this for anyone who cares to read it--as opposed to respnding from personal experience without any facts at hand.

Thats good for you, but

Untitled-1.gif

It's probably because somewhere along the line we have associated thuggery with black people...

Some of you are reading way too much into Hendrika's comment

It was an offhand remark (pretty funny one too), and obviously noting the fact that people assoociate thuggery with black people. It doesnt mean he is ashamed of his race

Geez, get a grip, people

It was an offhand remark (pretty funny one too), and obviously noting the fact that people assoociate thuggery with black people. It doesnt mean he is ashamed of his race

Geez, get a grip, people

It was a dumb thing to say..

Geez, get a grip, people

Exactly...even JoeJoe got it and just recently he and jbailey got into it about putting down one's race :sigh:

It was a dumb thing to say..

Get a sense of humor :filenails:

As for whites, there are so many different types of white people that people dont associate like they do with black..i know there are different strands of black, but there are more types of white

if u broke down the "white" race, ud get the same associations

eg italians...people associate mafia

Geez, get a grip, people

Most people (me) agree with Henri........

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

When a white kid shoots up a school you don't hear other white people saying "time to be another race"

You're doing the exact same thing that u accuse other people doing to black people

associate heroin use with white people

We are both using anecdotal evidence to support our claims.....I am claiming that these sterotypes based on black people do have grains of truth in them, you seem to be claiming that the sterotypes are completely false. We are both basing this on our obsevations.

Wrong. I'm not saying ANYTHING of the sort.

Read my replies again. I never said black people don't engage in stereotypical behavior. Show me where I said that.

What I actually said was that the EVIDENCE SHOWS that black people are no more likely to engage in undesirable behavior than white people. That's not my opinion. That's not my experience. Those are THE FACTS.

Obviously it is difficult to use "factual" data with reference to the above types of behaviour unless criminal charges were brought and we can get the info on who was charged.

No it isn't. If you've read any of the dozens of books by experts both black and white that I've read, some of which I've listed for Austin, you'd see what that's completely, emphatically incorrect.

You're doing the exact same thing that u accuse other people doing to black people

associate heroin use with white people

He is talking about the school shootings........

But now you mention it, Meth and Heroin are dirty white peoples drugs, and the dirty blacks prefer crack.

tanisha1347.gif

Who know a lil simple joke would be a big deal.

Well you should know by now that certain black people **blatin** can't seem to think critically or broadly about other black people. They just get all defensive and deny deny deny. Then they attack white people. LOL

He is talking about the school shootings........

But now you mention it, Meth and Heroin are dirty white peoples drugs, and the dirty blacks prefer crack.

Oh, thats how much credit I give to your post...couldnt even bothered reading it properly

i saw shooting, and thought of drugs

Wrong. I'm not saying ANYTHING of the sort.

Read my replies again. I never said black people don't engage in stereotypical behavior. Show me where I said that.

What I actually said was that the EVIDENCE SHOWS that black people are no more likely to engage in undesirable behavior than white people. That's not my opinion. That's not my experience. Those are THE FACTS.

No it isn't. If you've read any of the dozens of books by experts both black and white that I've read, some of which I've listed for Austin, you'd see what that's completely, emphatically incorrect.

But you don't acknowledge how limited your experience of "what [you] see around [you]" is. Or how it's influenced by outside forces. In short, you're not acknowledging how un-anthropological your observations are and therefore, you're unable, or unwilling, to admit or recognize how flawed your conclusion are. I don't know how to argue with unscientific data precisely because it's unscientific and therefore flawed and therefore not worth arguing.

Show your data. Point me to the study or government statistics or sociological/psychological/anthropological research that proves what you're saying is true.

Yes, they do. But that's not what the topic of this conversation is about. At least, not to me.

Of course black people are not more or less likely to engage in undesirable behaviour than white people. I never said that. I said they types of undesirable behaviour they engage in are DIFFERENT.

With regards to the stats on marriage in the USA you can look it up. Its all out there.

Being as knowledgable as you are on this subject you should also realise that the books you read and the statistics used will also be biased. There are just as many studies and books out there which show the opposite. Thats why sometimes drawing from our own experiences for the sake of discussion in a thread like this can be equally valid in my opinion.

Archived