Fighting at Burger King over a damn double whopper

JoeJoe

No, that's what YOU believe. The data I posted was to illustrate that if Blacks have the highest rates of drug use/arrests, then it should be self-evident that cops would stop those who are Black.

Similarly, if I read a report that showed that Asians excel in mathematics, then naturally I would go to an Asian for assistance with math related questions.

Similarly, if I were a cop, and I read a report that men are usually the perpetrators in domestic disputes, when I go to a home that got a police call about domestic violence, naturally I'm going to think the man was the aggressor.

Get the point? Good.

I tried to explain it to you Austin, but clearly you're not interested or convinced. I agree to disagree.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, see Henri.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, the respect entitled to any human being for no reason other than the fact you exist. Then you reverted to type.

It's a good thing, then, that your opinion of me has no bearing, whatsoever, on my actual life. My success doesn't require or desire your approval.

But could have at least been a more civil relationship between us had you remained, as difficult as it might have been, civil.

Ah, well. Such is life.

:cheers:

That post was submitted almost 10 minutes before your first "apology" post :mellow: I replied to your "apology" post and said we're done speaking about, so how did I revert back to anything?

Ah, see Henri.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, the respect entitled to any human being for no reason other than the fact you exist. Then you reverted to type.

It's a good thing, then, that your opinion of me has no bearing, whatsoever, on my actual life. My success doesn't require or desire your approval.

But could have at least been a more civil relationship between us had you remained, as difficult as it might have been, civil.

Ah, well. Such is life.

:cheers:

YASSSSSSSSSS

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Did I? I know that I said earlier that if I called anyone out of their names, I apologize. But I'm not sure that I actually called anyone out of their names.

If I did, show me where and I will apologize again.

Yes, there were plenty, particularly about people's intelligence levels

And I don't even care if you have pulled a King Game on us. Those who were here saw them (or better yet, we can look @ the quoted comments)

That post was submitted almost 10 minutes before your first "apology" post :mellow: I replied to your "apology" post and said we're done speaking about, so how did I revert back to anything?

You responded to an apology by being rude:

And as I said you don't have to be educated to have common sense. I even told you it wasn't that serious right after you replied to me, but you carried on. That should have been where common sense kicked in and told you that you were seeing something that wasn't there. I see if I replied to JoeJoe and told him I was dead serious about my post, but it wasn't anything serious at all. We're done speaking about it.

When you simply could have been the gentleman I know you're capable of being and said, "No worries. Apology accepted." Unless, of course, I misjudged you. :unsure:

Yes, there were plenty, particularly about people's intelligence levels

And I don't even care if you have pulled a King Game on us. Those who were here saw them (or better yet, we can look @ the quoted comments)

Not about people's intelligence levels, about their SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTISE. Two different things.

That's why I asked not only for whether or not one had a college degree, but WHERE they received it and in WHAT subject.

You responded to an apology by being rude:

When you simply could have been the gentleman I know you're capable of being and said, "No worries. Apology accepted." Unless, of course, I misjudged you. :unsure:

I can be a gentleman, but not accept your apology :blush: Can you be a gentleman and accept that? Not being rude...#JustTheWayItIs

I tried to explain it to you Austin, but clearly you're not interested or convinced. I agree to disagree.

You didn't explain anything. You just tried to use statistical data to measure an immeasurable concept such as racism and prejudice. You just can't do it because there are so many variables that play into data as Paul pointed out.

I can be a gentleman, but not accept your apology :blush: Can you be a gentleman and accept that? Not being rude...#JustTheWayItIs

Oh, most certainly! But I think the gentlemanly thing to do, in that case, would have been to say, "Apology not accepted," or "Thank you for the gesture, but no thank you." Which isn't what you did.

But if your goal wasn't to accept the apology, why bring up that you dissed me previously because I didn't apologize until afterward? Either my apology has meaning or it doesn't....

Oh, most certainly! But I think the gentlemanly thing to do, in that case, would have been to say, "Apology not accepted," or "Thank you for the gesture, but no thank you." Which isn't what you did.

But if your goal wasn't to accept the apology, why bring up that you dissed me previously because I didn't apologize until afterward? Either my apology has meaning or it doesn't....

Umm what I basically was saying that you replied to a response that was way before your apology, so there was no way I could have reverted back to anything. Honestly, (once again, not being rude) to me your apology doesn't have meaning.

You didn't explain anything. You just tried to use statistical data to measure an immeasurable concept such as racism and prejudice. You just can't do it because there are so many variables that play into data as Paul pointed out.

Instead of constantly repeating yourself, and me constantly repeating myself, why don't you review the evidence first-hand and then let's re-approach the subject after you've had the benefit of reading it? If you remain unconvinced, then we'll agree to disagree. What do you say?

http://www.amazon.com/New-Jim-Crow-Incarceration-Colorblindness/dp/1595581030

Umm what I basically was saying that you replied to a response that was way before your apology, so there was no way I could have reverted back to anything. Honestly, (once again, not being rude) but to me your apology doesn't have meaning.

Fair enough.

And the FICO score isn't good enough to cosign.

See, Austin. I don't want to be "board enemies" just because we disagree on this. I was hoping that we could disagree and still remain cool, mature, without all the club-kid jabs and vogue dramatics.

I think it's silly to become hostile over this. Do you agree?

Instead of constantly repeating yourself, and me constantly repeating myself, why don't you review the evidence first hand and then let's re-approach the subject after you've had the benefit of reading it? If you remain unconvinced, then we

ll agree to disagree? What do you say?

http://www.amazon.com/New-Jim-Crow-Incarceration-Colorblindness/dp/1595581030

No thanks to your book. I've already read Race To Incarcerate, taken classes in Criminal Justice, Corrections, Juvenile Delinquency, and Victimology, so I would know a thing or two about the inconsistencies of gathered statistics. If you have to formulate your opinions based on novels written by others, rather than going out into the world and experiencing life, I will keep in my prayers that xenophobia doesn't consume a great deal of your adult life. I just hope that one day we as Black people can rise above the stereotypes that are associated with us, and move into a more progressive society rid of color lines and social injustice. :)

See, Austin. I don't want to be "board enemies" just because we disagree on this. I was hoping that we could disagree and still remain cool, mature, without all the club-kid jabs and vogue dramatics.

I think it's silly to become hostile over this. Do you agree?

No one is becoming hostile. I see no name calling. No personal attacks. None of that. So as far as I'm concerned, we are having a civil mature discussion. B)

That is really ignorant of you.........I have a university degree and a masters degree, and if you want to discuss Globalization and Development (my masters), or the myriad of social and political as well as environmental topics that came under my Geography degree we can.

I did whole essays on statistical analysis and skewed data and variables which is why I can claim that the books that you seem to be basing your arguments on contain as many biases and skewed facts as you claim are in my head.

In your books do you look at who wrote them, where did they collate the data, why those areas, which methods of sampling did they use.........all of which and more effect the outcome and "facts" in a particular case.

Want to look at your NY police study? Most academics would not accept that study to be valid unless there was another city to compare the results with. using 10 or more USA cities would establish a pattern that could be uses, not just one city. Why then did they (or you) just present us with the NY numbers, what about NJ, SF, LA etc etc.......

Get the point. You shouldnt be so ignorant.

ANd I love you too, but im disappointed with you right now :hmph:

I'm writing my dissertation on Development and Globalization ... help me bitch ! lol

No thanks to your book. I've already read Race To Incarcerate, taken classes in Criminal Justice, Corrections, Juvenile Delinquency, and Victimology, so I would know a thing or two about the inconsistencies of gathered statistics. If you have to formulate your opinions based on novels written by others, rather than going out into the world and experiencing life, I will keep in my prayers that xenophobia doesn't consume a great deal of your adult life. I just hope that one day we as Black people can rise above the stereotypes that are associated with us, and move into a more progressive society rid of color lines and social injustice. :)

I don't mind you rejecting reading the book (it's not a novel, by the way). But I'm going to have to correct you on a few things in regard to my character.

I am a card-carrying member of the Southern Poverty Law Center. My partner (who is an attorney) and I, along with the NYC charter, just met with Mayor Bloomberg's administration as well as the brass of the NYPD in regard to the incarceration of young men of color.

Along with the Macaulay Honors College and the Mellon Minority Fellowship, I put together a well-attended conference entitled "Standing and Understanding Together for Change: A Black History Month Celebration" at Brooklyn College, where a group of experts and intellectuals took a hard look at the ills of the black community and brainstormed about solutions.

I'm a mentor/big brother/part-time teacher/advocate to young black men in Geoffrey Canada's Harlem Children's Zone.

And lastly, I was an invited speaker, last year, at Columbia University's conference on race relations in NYC.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not at all xenophobic, but smart enough to know that I can't rely on my experiences alone to guide me in regard to sociopolitical matters. I also learn a great deal from scholars and others who are experts in their fields, as well as the people I hope to help.

Archived