Fighting at Burger King over a damn double whopper

JoeJoe

That might have been what you've been saying this entire time, but it's not what you said in that post I was referring to.

When you've actually looked at my data, which you said you wouldn't, then you can comment it whether or not its baseless. Until then, you're only relying on what you believe is common sense, with no real context for it.

Does that include the data that you and Paul posted, or just the data that I post? Because when I said that your data was flawed in that it didn't indicate several factors, you said that I was wrong.

That's what you keep saying as you simultaneously refuse to look at data that might contradict that assumption simply because you find it counterintuitive.

And as I've said many times, I'm not arguing that stereotypes don't exist. I've never been arguing that. All I've ever argued is about how stereotypes are formed and what imaginations/medium guide them.

If you've ever taken an advanced anthropology or statistics course, you'd realize how absolutely incorrect that assertion is.

Im of the understanding that other cultures are taught to believe the worst about African Americans so when they come to America they look down on us tough

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might have been what you've been saying this entire time, but it's not what you said in that post I was referring to.

When you've actually looked at my data, which you said you wouldn't, then you can comment it whether or not its baseless. Until then, you're only relying on what you believe is common sense, with no real context for it.

Does that include the data that you and Paul posted, or just the data that I post? Because when I said that your data was flawed in that it didn't indicate several factors, you said that I was wrong.

That's what you keep saying as you simultaneously refuse to look at data that might contradict that assumption simply because you find it counterintuitive.

And as I've said many times, I'm not arguing that stereotypes don't exist. I've never been arguing that. All I've ever argued is about how stereotypes are formed and what imaginations/medium guide them.

If you've ever taken an advanced anthropology or statistics course, you'd realize how absolutely incorrect that assertion is.

I did not read all of Paul's posts, but he did make a point about the NY article you used saying that you'd have to do the same experiment with 10 other cities for the test to be reliable/valid. That was what I was referring to. And yes, I read the whole NY Times article, and that's why I said you can't rely on stats because they don't always tell the whole story.

Find the post where I'm relying on common sense. Until then, that argument doesn't hold a glass of water. And stereotypes are also based on general association and personal experience - tall people play basketball, Asians can't drive, Blacks are loud, Mexicans are blue-collar workers, etc.

I edited. ^_^

There's more of an explanation that what's be presented. But it's whatever. -_-

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Im so with Diane :blink:

1 They tow that muthafucka up it aint even a Burger King no more its Burger Prince now

2 Why the white girl in the video split like all hell when they started fighting she was gone bitch :lmao:

3 What is wrong with our people we ain't gotta get like this

4 Would it have been that hard to push that bitch back off the counter? she would have fell str8 back

1. It was a hot mess. They didn't have to get out of control like that. Hell if they were civil they could have gotten another one for free.

2. I didn't even notice her :lmao:

3. Please don't get them started :sigh:

4. You know I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw it :asham:

Dear GAWD! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

What I've been saying this entire time is every thing that everyone has been posting! First off, you took Henri's comment literally. It was a joke that he makes all the time. Of course he's never serious about it. Only ppl who don't get it, take it seriously. Sorry to single you out. And I even said I see your point, but like I and Paul said, the data you used to support your argument is nearly baseless for a number of reasons that both of us pointed out. You can't rely on data because they don't tell the whole story. Paul even gave you an example with his use of the prison system. There is no way to accurately measure racism and prejudice because like I said a number of times - they're immeasurable.

As we've been saying, whether if you want to accept it or not, when you're the token race is a crowd, you represent that race as a whole. It's general association and stereotypes. We expect Blacks to be good at sports and music. We expect Whites to be good with business. We expect Asians to be good at math. That's the way love goes. It's similar to typecasting in movies. Like I said, in high school I heard stories about how ppl are surprised when Blacks speak eloquently. I heard the same thing when I came to college, and heard stories from ppl who come from different parts of the nation. If it's resonating in many parts of the nation, then it's safe to assume that it's partly true.

Im not so sure race in and of itself is the issue, I think classicism is at work and that adds another component not viewed, it's almost to say you can be any race or gender as long as you come from a certain background, this video clearly shows hood rats, and the same could be seen on an episode of "Cops" trailer white folks acting like wild ass beasts only to get tasered

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

1. It was a hot mess. They didn't have to get out of control like that. Hell if they were civil they could have gotten another one for free.

2. I didn't even notice her :lmao:

3. Please don't get them started :sigh:

4. You know I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw it :asham:

I did she was humped down at the table probably praying it was gone be alright by the time they got back to her table she was gone baby gone

I didn't post any data.

And the point we are making is ALL DATA IS BIASED AND FLAWED. EVEN IN THE BOOKS YOU READ. Unless every single person is either interviewed or measured or questioned etc depending on the type of research you are doing, and every single variable is considered then the data is flawed! Therefore the facts are skewed. Most of the time when someone publishes something they already know what they are trying to prove.

As and example If I wanted to prove that Black people in America are more upwardly mobile than Mexicans I could choose to take my samples from e.g Atlanta LA and NY to prove my point. If however I wanted to skew it the other way I could use Texas, Vegas and SF as an example.

Peoples experiences in dealing with people in their daily lives if valid, and in my opinion just as valid as what some guy with a doctorate in Antropolgy says.

Jbailey,

You're actually getting at something here when you say "taught."

baring in mind I can actually have a civil convo with you please expand, if your referring to my use of the word "taught" as if to say they sit in class rooms soaking up shit about Blacks then no, but in a lot of other ways it is worst than that

Im not so sure race in and of itself is the issue, I think classicism is at work and that adds another component not viewed, it's almost to say you can be any race or gender as long as you come from a certain background, this video clearly shows hood rats, and the same could be seen on an episode of "Cops" trailer white folks acting like wild ass beasts only to get tasered

Classicism, imo, may or may not be a factor. When I worked at McDonalds like 9 or 10 years ago, I worked with some ppl who were "less than privileged" and they never acted like coons whenever confronted with irate customers regardless of race. However this does not included my friend Brittany who almost got into a fight with a customer one morning. I have a friend who worked at Nordstrom in VA's more affluent mall, and he said a well-to-do woman spat on him. This doesn't include that fact that he told me he, "tried to kill her", and almost got charged with terrorism, and was banned from all Nordstrom stores for a year. But I can agree with you that classicism does play a factor. It's usually the "hood rats" that don't know how to conduct themselves in public, and are usually the ones causing scenes in public.

I didn't post any data.

And the point we are making is ALL DATA IS BIASED AND FLAWED. EVEN IN THE BOOKS YOU READ. Unless every single person is either interviewed or measured or questioned etc depending on the type of research you are doing, and every single variable is considered then the data is flawed! Therefore the facts are skewed. Most of the time when someone publishes something they already know what they are trying to prove.

As and example If I wanted to prove that Black people in America are more upwardly mobile than Mexicans I could choose to take my samples from e.g Atlanta LA and NY to prove my point. If however I wanted to skew it the other way I could use Texas, Vegas and SF as an example.

Peoples experiences in dealing with people in their daily lives is valid, and in my opinion just as valid as what some guy with a doctorate in Antropolgy says.

Who is probably basing their opinions on the findings of inconsistent data.

Classicism, imo, may or may not be a factor. When I worked at McDonalds like 9 or 10 years ago, I worked with some ppl who were "less than privileged" and they never acted like coons whenever confronted with irate customers regardless of race. However this does not included my friend Brittany who almost got into a fight with a customer one morning. I have a friend who worked at Nordstrom in VA's more affluent mall, and he said a well-to-do woman spat on him. This doesn't include that fact that he told me he, "tried to kill her", and almost got charged with terrorism, and was banned from all Nordstrom stores for a year. But I can agree with you that classicism does play a factor. It's usually the "hood rats" that don't know how to conduct themselves in public, and are usually the ones causing scenes in public.

It seems to me it's getting worst, without a middle class we have two groups those you have and those that don't and I even notice in school the bar for performing seems to be low to me, it's easy to get all A's in most of my courses, the ones that don't do not because they don't even try, like my Psychology class, all you had to do was show up to every class not to take the final you would get 100%, in ten weeks we have 20 sessions right, well we also had two snow days, and our professor was absent himself from class twice thus canceling class, so why they fuck did so many people HAVE to take the final?

I didn't post any data.

And the point we are making is ALL DATA IS BIASED AND FLAWED. EVEN IN THE BOOKS YOU READ.

Unless every single person is either interviewed or measured or questioned etc depending on the type of research you are doing, and every single variable is considered then the data is flawed! Therefore the facts are skewed. Most of the time when someone publishes something they already know what they are trying to prove.

See, but as a social scientist, or as a scientist period, you realize that biases have to be

1. accounted for, and

2. overcome

That's why the scientific method exists. Other social scientists have to be able to verify and replicate your results before your study can be considered valid. Thus, "peer-reviewed." Sometimes, the scientific method reveals a study is flawed. And sometimes it reveals that the data is logical and accurate.

The book that I keep referencing has only peer-reviewed studies whose conclusions have been deemed valid. But I don't want anyone to take my word for it. I want people to read it for themselves and come to their own conclusions about the validity of the data.

Im not entirely sure you can learn everything there is about society in a book, books can be inaccurate and biased, real life in some instances is the only way we can gather real time data and this method is used in psychology often. I get where Paul is coming from, and I have had friends tell me for all the book smarts you have in the world Johnie, you have a lot to learn about people, and when I started seeing that I knew the book part was only half the formula for success

I think that's a bit of an unscientific stretch.

I don't think the everyday person isn't basing how they behave with other groups on any studies. I think they're basing it on their personal interactions or how others in their own community interact with particular groups.

Exactly. Some things are true, and some things are not true, but truth and fact do not necessarily go hand in hand. Research, books, journals etc are super important but I don't base my opinions on what other people tell me to think, probably because I have a good brain and I don't have an inferiority complex like some academics who are unable to remove their heads from a book and actually look at what is happening around them. I read a veriaty of sources, see what connects with me and then I live my life.

Wasn't is just a few decades ago that science said that black people were less evolved than white people? This was all published in books and journals. It was all backed up by research. It was all intellectually argued. But any white person that lived, loved and saw black people as equal would tell you that wasn't true based on their experiences. Yet according to SOB personal experience counts for very little.

Im not entirely sure you can learn everything there is about society in a book, books can be inaccurate and biased, real life in some instances is the only way we can gather real time data and this method is used in psychology often. I get where Paul is coming from, and I have had friends tell me for all the book smarts you have in the world Johnie, you have a lot to learn about people, and when I started seeing that I knew the book part was only half the formula for success

my Sociology professor once told us that as soon as our finals were over, throw away the book and forget half of what was in it

See, but as a social scientist, or as a scientist period, you realize that biases have to be

1. accounted for, and

2. overcome

That's why the scientific method exists. Other social scientists have to be able to verify and replicate your results before your study can be considered valid. Thus, "peer-reviewed." Sometimes, the scientific method reveals a study is flawed. And sometimes it reveals that the data is logical and accurate.

The book that I keep referencing has only peer-reviewed studies whose conclusions have been deemed valid. But I don't want anyone to take my word for it. I want people to read it for themselves and come to their own conclusions about the validity of the data.

yes "peer-reviewed" articles that summarize the methods, data, conclusions and hypothesis tested are considered valid when they can be replicated, but even in the high echelons of education there have been cases where published studies were out right falsified, the famous case I can think of was the cloning Asia, the scientist that did that study made his shit up RECEIPT:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4554422.stm

Archived