Whitney Paved The Way For Janet

Idrag4mj

So i traveled a little and so i had checked in on CW for a while ..and when i went there to. today i seemed to have pissed of the "Big guns" here are somethings they posted

And they came to "dispel" all i said there and provide "receipts"

YOU WERE WARNED TO STOP WHILE AS YOU WERE BEING SPANKED BUT YOU DIDN'T HEED THE WARNING SO TAKE NOTE:

Whitney Houston's grand entrance into the music industry is considered one of the 25 musical milestones of the last 25 years, according to USA Today.

JANET OUGHT TO THANK WHITNEY FOR THIS:

Following Houston's breakthrough, other African-American female artists such as Janet Jackson and Anita Baker were able to find notable success in popular music.

Following the release of the album, Houston embarked on the Moment of Truth World Tour which was one of the ten highest grossing concert tours of 1987. The success of the tour and Houston's albums helped make her one of the top 10 highest earning entertainers according to Forbes Magazine. She was the highest earning African-American woman and the second highest entertainer after Bill Cosby. The list included her concert grosses during 1986 and 1987.

Houston was a supporter of Nelson Mandela and the anti-apartheid movement. During her modeling days, the singer refused to work with any agencies who did business with a then apartheid South Africa. In June 1988, during the European leg of her tour, Houston joined other musicians to perform a set at Wembley Stadium in London to celebrate a then imprisoned Nelson Mandela's 70th birthday. Over 72,000 people filled Wembley Stadium, and over a billion people tuned in worldwide as the rock concert raised over $1 million for charities while bringing awareness to apartheid. Houston then flew back to the US for a concert at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The show was a benefit concert that helped raise over $300 million to the United Negro College Fund.

With her current world tour continuing overseas, Houston was still one of the top 10 highest earning entertainers for 1988-1989 according to Forbes.

With America at war, Houston performed "The Star Spangled Banner" at Super Bowl XXV in January 1991. VH1 listed the performance as the 12th greatest moment that rocked TV. Her recording of the song was released as a commercial single, reaching the Top 20 on the US Hot 100 making her the only act to turn the national anthem into a pop hit of that magnitude (Jose Feliciano's version reached #50 in November 1968). Houston donated her share of the proceeds to the Red Cross. As a result, the singer was named to the Red Cross Board of Governors for her efforts

Later that year, Houston put together her Welcome Home Heroes concert with HBO for the soldiers fighting in the Gulf War and their families. The free concert took place at the Norfolk Air Force Base in Norfolk, Virginia in front of 3,500 serviceman and women. HBO descrambled the concert so that it was free for everyone to watch. Houston's concert gave HBO its highest ratings ever. She then embarked on the I'm Your Baby Tonight World Tour

AND MORE RECEIPTS!!

The Bodyguard: The film was hugely successful at the box office, grossing more than $121 million in the U.S. and $410 million worldwide. USA Today listed it as one of the 25 most memorable movie moments of the last 25 years.

IWALY single peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for a then-record-breaking 14 weeks, number one on the R&B chart for a then-record-breaking 11 weeks, and number one on the Adult Contemporary charts for five weeks, thus becoming the first single to top those three charts simultaneously for five weeks.

At one point the soundtrack sold over a million copies within a week, becoming the first album to do so. With the follow-up singles "I'm Every Woman", a Chaka Khan cover, and "I Have Nothing" both peaking in the top five, Houston became the first female artist to ever have three singles in the Top 20 simultaneously

Following the success of the project (The Bodyguard)t Houston embarked on another expansive global tour in 1993 and 1994. Her concerts, movie, and recording grosses made her the third highest earning female entertainer of 1993-1994, just behind Oprah Winfrey and Barbra Streisand according to Forbes. Houston placed in the top five of Entertainment Weekly's annual "Entertainer of the Year" ranking and was labeled by Premier Magazine as one of the 100 most powerful people in Hollywood.

n October 1994, Houston was invited to perform at a state dinner at the White House honoring newly elected South African president Nelson Mandela. At the end of her world tour, Houston performed three concerts in South Africa to honor President Mandela, playing to over 200,000 people. This would make the singer the first major musician to visit the newly unified and apartheid free nation following Mandela's winning election. The event was considered the nation's "biggest media event since the inauguration of Nelson Mandela". (SEE HOW WHITNEY'S IMPACT AND INFLUENCE REALLY MATTER AND MEAN SOMETHING )

AND EVEN MORE RECEIPTS; JANET REALLY OUGHT TO THANK WHITNEY FOR DOING EXHALE AS THAT ALLOWED TYLER TO CAST HER IN HIS 3 MOVIES

Waiting to Exhale grossed $67 million in the US at the box office and $81 million worldwide, it proved that a movie primarily targeting a black audience can cross over to success, while paving the way for other all-black movies such as How Stella Got Her Groove Back and the Tyler Perry movies that have become popular in the 2000s.

Like Houston's previous project, the film's accompanying soundtrack was also a huge hit. Houston co-produced, with Babyface, the soundtrack, Waiting to Exhale: Original Soundtrack Album. Though Babyface originally wanted Houston to record the entire album, she declined. Instead, she "wanted it to be an album of women with vocal distinction", and thus gathered several African-American female artists for the soundtrack, to go along with the film's strong women message. (Whitney not only executive produced this soundtrack, we know from Babyface that she personally picked or / and approved every singer that was on that cd)

The soundtrack received strong reviews. Entertainment Weekly said "the album goes down easy, just as you'd expect from a package framed by Whitney Houston tracks....the soundtrack waits to exhale, hovering in sensuous suspense" and has since ranked it as one of the 100 Best Movie Soundtracks. Newsday called it "the most significant R&B record of the decade." Later that year, Houston's children's charity organization was awarded a VH1 Honor for all the charitable work

Whitney Houston earned $10 million for the role in The Preacher's Wife, making her one of the highest paid actress in Hollywood at the time and the highest earning African American actress in Hollywood.

An estimated 60 million viewers tuned into the special (Cinderella) giving ABC its highest TV ratings in 16 years. The movie received seven Emmy nominations including Outstanding Variety, Musical or Comedy, while winning Outstanding Art Direction in a Variety, Musical or Comedy Special. Whitney executive produced this movie and starred.

In 1997 Houston paid tribute to her idols such as Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, and Billie Holliday by performing their hits during the three night HBO Concert Classic Whitney, live from Washington, D.C.. The special raised over $300,000 for the Children's Defense Fund.

In 1999, Houston hit the road with her 70 date My Love Is Your Love worldwide tour. The European leg was Europe's highest grossing arena tour of the year.

In August 2001, Houston signed the biggest record deal in music history with Arista/BMG. She renewed her contract for $100 million to deliver six new albums, on which she would also earn royalties. (WORTH MORE THAN JANET OR MARIAH'S CONTRACT)

In 2001 Houston's rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" would be re-released after the terrorist attacks of September 11. The song peaked at #6 this time on the US Hot 100. Houston donated her portion of the proceeds. (making her the only artist to have charted the SSB 2xs and to have it go platinum

She came in third on MTV's 22 Greatest Voices , sixth on COVE's list of the 100 Best Pop Vocalists with a score of 48.5/50, and thirty-fourth on Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Singers list.

AND SEEING THAT YOU ARE EITHER UNAWARE OR IN DENIAL ABOUT WHITNEY ELIZABETH HOUTON'S INFLUENCE AND IMPACT, CHEERS TO YOU AND HAPPY READING:

Houston's vocal stylings have had a significant impact on the music industry. According to The New York Times, Houston had "revitalized the tradition of strong gospel-oriented pop-soul singing". A number of artists have acknowledged Houston as an influence. Mariah Carey, who was often compared to Houston, said, "Houston has been a big influence on me." She later told USA Today that "none of us would sound the same if Aretha Franklin hadn't ever put out a record, or Whitney Houston hadn't". Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson cites Houston as her biggest musical influence. She told Newsday that she learned from Houston the "difference between being able to sing and knowing how to sing". Leona Lewis, who also has been compared to Houston, cites her as an influence. Lewis has stated that she idolized Houston as a little girl. Beyonc? Knowles told the Globe and Mail that Houston "inspired to get up there and do what did." Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Alicia Keys, P!nk, Robin Thicke, Jennifer Hudson and Destiny's Child have all cited Houston as a musical inspiration. In 2009, Rolling Stone listed Houston as one of the 100 greatest singers of the rock era.

Houston's debut is currently listed as one of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time by Rolling Stonemagazine and is on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Definitive 200 list. Houston's entrance into the music industry is considered one of the 25 musical milestones of the last 25 years, according to USA Today. In 1997, the Franklin School in East Orange, New Jersey was renamed to The Whitney E. Houston Academy School of Creative and Performing Arts. In 2001, Houston was awarded the first annual Lifetime Achievement Award by BET.

And ON WHITNEY'S LEGACY:

During the 1980s, MTV was just coming into its own and received harsh criticism for not playing enough videos by black artists. With Michael Jackson breaking down the color barrier for black male artists, Houston did the same for black female artists. She became one of the few black female artists to receive heavy rotation on the network following the success of the "How Will I Know" video. Following Houston's breakthrough, other African-American female artists, such as Janet Jackson and Anita Baker, were successful in popular music. Baker commented that "Because of what Whitney did, there was an opening for me... For radio stations, black women singers aren't taboo anymore". Mary J. Blige commented that Houston's inviting her onstage during VH1's Divas Live show in 1999 "opened doors for all over the world".

THEN this

ND FOR SH*TS AND GIGGLES ANOTHER HELPING OF RECEIPTS:

You said that whitney isn't cited in songs. That's a negative, she's cited in lots of songs but my favorite citation is The Game's 'Dreams'

at 1 :09 We're the future, Whitney HOuston told me that!

Whitney Houston was the best-selling album in Canada by a female artist in 1980s, beating the previous best-seller, Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual, sold more than 900,000 copies in the country. Houston's debut became the first album by a female artist to earn the-10-times platinum mark―diamond level―for sales of 1,000,000 units by the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) on March 31, 1987

Whitney Houston holds the record for the highest one-week single sales by a female artist, with 632,000 copies sold of "I Will Always Love You" in the week ended December 27, 1992ㅡthe Billboard magazine issue date of January 9, 1993

In the United Kingdom, "I Will Always Love You" was the best-selling single of all-time by a female solo artist with 1.361 million copies sold in 1992/93, but the sales record was later broken by Cher's "Believe," sold 1.673 million units in 1998/99.[9] In Japan, the single was also the best-selling single of all-time by a foreign female artist at the time, selling 810,000 copies in 1992-93.[10][11] Worldwide, It sold over 12 million copies and became the best-selling single of all-time by a female artist

Whitney Houston hit the 10 million mark by the RIAA on January 25, 1994, and made it the first album and the first debut album by a female artist to attain the certification.[2] As a result, she also became the first female artist to have two 10× platinum albums with the album and The Bodyguard Soundtrack, earned the same certification peak in November 1993.[

In 1994, Houston received an award from the World Music Awards, for being the "Best-selling Female Artist of the Era

On March 16, 1999, when the RIAA launched the Diamond Awards, honoring sales of 10 million copies or more of an album or single, Houston received two diamond awards with her self-titled debut and The Bodyguard Soundtrack, becoming the first female artist to achieve that feat WHERE'S JANET! OH!!

In November 1999, Houston and The Bodyguard Soundtrack, were named the "Top-selling R&B Female Artist of the Century" and "Top-selling Soundtrack Album of the Century" by the RIAA, respectively

The Bodyguard Soundtrack is the first pop album to sell over one million copies by a foreign artist in South Korea. To date, its sales exceeded 1.2 million in that country.[28][29] The album sold over 1.1 million in Brazil, becoming the best-selling album by a foreign female artist.[30] In Japan, it was certified 2× million by the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ) in 1994, for the first time to achieve that feat by a foreign artist in Japanese music history, and became the best-selling foreign album with 2.8 million copies sold.[31][32] The record was later broken by Mariah Carey's #1's, certified 3× million in 1998

The Preacher's Wife Original Soundtrack Album is the best-selling Gospel album of all time, with sales of over three million copies in the United States and six million copies worldwide.[33]

Houston's rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner," performed by her at Super Bowl XXV in 1991, is the only version to be certified platinum, and it raised millions for the victims of 9/11.

Houston's recording of "The Star Spangled Banner" reached the number twenty on the Hot 100 Singles chart in March 1991, making her the only act to turn the national anthem into a pop hit. The single was re-released in September 2001 and peaked at number six on the chart, becoming the first and the only version of the national anthem to achieve that feat in music history

The fourteen-week domination of "I Will Always Love You" kept Houston in the pole position of the chart for all of January and February, marking the first time in history where Billboard didn't receive a new number one song until March.

Since 1991, when the Hot 100 using Broadcast Data System and SoundScan data, Houston has become the first artist to place three songs inside the top 11 in the same week with "I Will Always Love You," "I'm Every Woman," and "I Have Nothing" for three weeks in March 1993

In 1980s, Houston had seven number one hits on the Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary chart, setting a record for the most number one singles by a female artist in the decade―"Saving All My Love for You" for three weeks (October 1985),[50] "How Will I Know" for one week (February 1986),[51] "Greatest Love of All" for five weeks (May 1986),[52] "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" for three weeks (July 1987),[53] "Didn't We Almost Have It All" for three weeks (September 1987),[54] "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" for three weeks (April 1988),[55] and "One Moment in Time" for two weeks (October 1988).

Houston's self-titled debut, Whitney Houston, spent 14 weeks at the top on the Billboard 200 chart (formerlay Top Pop Albums) in 1986, setting a record for the longest runs at number one by a female newcomer of all-time and the second overall behind Men at Work's Business as Usual, which had 15 weeks on the summit.[57][58] In addition, the album was the longest running number one album by a female artist during 1980s and one week shy of the all-time record for Carole King's Tapestry.

Whitney's 11-straight-week reign on the chart from June 27 to September 5, 1987, made Houston to hold two decade records by a woman: the most consecutive chart-topping streaks and the most cumulative weeks at number one in 1980s

Whitney Houston and Whitney are the only albums by a female artist to occupy number one position of the chart for 10 weeks or more in 1980s, which made Houston the only artist to have two double-digit run at the top of the chart in the decade of the 80s

Houston's four No. 1 albums have spent a total of 46 weeks at the summit of the chart, a record for the most cumulative weeks at number one by a female artist.[67]

Whitney Houston (14 weeks): March 8 - April 19, 1986 (first run, 7 weeks), May 17 - June 28, 1986 (second run, 7 weeks)

Whitney (11 weeks): June 27 - September 5, 1987

The Bodyguard Soundtrack (20 weeks): December 12, 1992 - March 6, 1993 (first run, 13 weeks), April 3, 1993 (second run, 1 week), April 17 - May 1, 1993 (third run, 3 weeks), May 15–29, 1993 (fourth run, 3 weeks)

I Look to You (1 week): September 19, 2009

Whitney has the longest stay at number one on the Billboard Top Gospel Albums Chart, when The Preacher's Wife remained at number one for twenty-six weeks.[68]

Houston's debut, Whitney Houston, was the "No. 1 Album of the Year" (Top Pop Album) on the 1986 Billboard magazine year-end charts, making Houston the first female artist to earn that distinction.[69] The album was also the "No. 1 Black Album of the Year" (later Top R&B/Hip-Hop Album), becoming the first album by a female solo artist and the first debut album, topped both pop and black album year-end charts simultaneously in a single year.[70]

AND THE RECEIPTS KEEP RAINING DOWN!

Houston was named "Top Pop Artist of the Year" in 1986, which made her the first black female artist and overall the second female artist behind Madonna in the previous year to achieve that feat.[71]

With The Bodyguard Soundtrack and "I Will Always Love You" single in 1993, Houston became the first and only artist to grab the top spots of "Billboard 200 Albums," "Top R&B Albums," "Hot 100 Singles," and "Hot R&B Singles" year-end charts at the same time in music history.[72]

Houston has won "No. 1 R&B Album of the Year" three times for Whitney Houston in 1986, I'm Your Baby Tonight in 1991 and The Bodyguard Soundtrack in 1993, setting a record for the most year-end number one albums by any artist in R&B category. In addition, Houston is the only female artist to top the Billboard 200 year-end chart two times; her debut and The Bodyguard Soundtrack.

Houston holds the record for the most triple-crown hits by a female artist, topped all of three Billboard charts; Hot 100, R&B, and Adult Contemporary chart, with four singles―"Saving All My Love for You," "How Will I Know," "All the Man That I Need," and "I Will Always Love You." (the all-time record belongs to Lionel Richie who achieved that feat with five chart-toppers including a number one hit, "Three Times a Lady," during his career as a member of the Commodores, but the record for a solo artist has been shared by Houston.)[73][74]

"I Will Always Love You" ruled Billboard charts in three categories for the fifth week in a row from December 19, 1992 to January 16, 1993: the Hot 100, R&B, and Adult Contemporary chart, setting a record for the most weeks at number one on the charts simultaneously.

With The Bodyguard Soundtrack and "I Will Always Love You," Houston dominated a record thirteen Billboard charts at the same time in January 1993: Billboard 200, Top R&B Albums, Hot 100 Singles, Hot R&B Singles, Hot Adult Contemporary, Top Singles Sales, Top 40 Radio Monitor, Top 40 Airplay/Mainstream, Top 40 Airplay/Rhythm-crossover, R&B Singles Sales, R&B Radio Monitor, Eurochart Hot 100 Singles, and Eurochart Albums.

OH U'RE GETTING A SPANKING NOW, HOW'S THAT BUTT FEELING! WWW.BENGAY.COM

Houston received total thirteen AMA nominations with materials from her debut album, six in 1986; also the all-time record as a newcomer and seven in 1987, which made her to hold the record for the most nominations from one album in AMA history.[76][77]

Houston garnered more American Music Awards than any other female artist at its 14th ceremony of 1987, pulling in five wins, the all-time record by a female artist at the time,ㅡFavorite Pop/Rock Female Artist, Favorite Pop/Rock Album for Whitney Houston, Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist, Favorite Soul/R&B Female Album for Whitney Houston and Favorite Soul/R&B Video for "Greatest Love of All."[78]

At the 21st American Music Awards of 1994, Houston's eight wins; Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist, Favorite Pop/Rock Album, Favorite Pop/Rock Single, Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist, Favorite Soul/R&B Album, Favorite Soul/R&B Single, Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist and Award of Merit as a special award, set a record for the most AMAs ever won by a female artist in a single year, tying Michael Jackson's all-time mark at the 1984 11th American Music Awards.[79][80]

Houston's AMA records in each category:

The most won for Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist ㅡ 4 (1987, 1988, 1989 and 1994, tied with Olivia Newton-John)[81]

The most won by a female artist for Favorite Pop/Rock Album ㅡ 2 (Whitney Houston in 1987 and The Bodyguard Soundtrack in 1994)[82]

The most won by a female artist for Favorite Pop/Rock Single ㅡ 2 ("I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me) in 1987 and "I Will Always Love You" in 1994)[83]

The most won by a female artist for Favorite Soul/R&B Album ㅡ 2 (Whitney Houston in 1987 and The Bodyguard Soundtrack in 1994, tied with Mary J. Blige)[84]

The most won by a female artist for Favorite Sou/R&B Single ㅡ 2 ("You Give Good Love" in 1986 and "I Will Always Love You" in 1994, tied with Diana Ross and Janet Jackson).[85]

At its 4th ceremony on December 8, 1993, Houston won a record eleven Billboard Music Awards for The Bodyguard Soundtrack and "I Will Always Love You"; #1 Album of the Year, The Album Most Weeks at #1, #1 Hot 100 Singles Artist, #1 Hot 100 Single of the Year, The Single Most Weeks at #1, #1 R&B Album of the Year, #1 R&B Singles Artist, #1 R&B Single of the Year, #1 Soundtrack Album, #1 World Artist and #1 World Single.[80][86][87]

Houston received five awards at the 6th World Music Awards in 1994, setting a record for the most WMAs won in a single year―World's Best Selling Overall Recording Artist, World's Best Selling Pop Artist of the Year, World's Best Selling R&B Artist of the Year, World's Best Selling American Recording Artist of the Year, and World's Best Selling Female Recording Artist of the Era.[20][88] (the record was shared by Michael Jackson in 1996, 50 Cent in 2003, and Lady GaGa in 2010)

As of 2007, Houston is the most performing female artist at Wembley Arena in London with 29 appearances during her career

Houston became the first black female artist to top the Australian Albums Chart (from Kent Music Report) with her 1985 debut, Whitney Houston. In 1986, the album stayed at the summit of the chart for 11 non-consecutive weeks, a record for the longest-stay by a woman during 1980s. (see the list of number-one albums of 1980s in Australia)

Whitney is the first album to debut at number one on the albums charts in the United States and the United Kingdom both

"I Will Always Love You" topped the UK Singles Chart for ten consecutive weeks from December 5, 1992 to February 6, 1993, breaking a previous record for the longest-running number one single by a solo female artist in history of the chart; 9-week reign by Doris Day with "Secret Love" in 1954.[92][93][94](the record was shared by Rihanna with "Umbrella" in 2007)

Houston has the longest concurrent topping of the U.S., the U.K., and Australian singles charts when "I Will Always Love You" spent eight-straight-weeks simultaneously topping the charts.[95] In addition, "I Will Always Love You" is the only song to have a double-digit run at the pole position of all the singles chart in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

In the British music history, Houston is the only artist to be placed in the top 10 of the UK Year-End Singles Chart for two consecutive years with one single, "I Will Always Love You," ranked number one in 1992, and number ten in 1993.

"I Will Always Love You" was named the Top Australian Single of the 1990s by a female artist.

NOW @IDRAG4MJKELLYCLARKSON DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO COME FOR NIPPY'S WIGS AGAIN BECAUSE I GOTS MORE RECEIPTS WHERE THEY CAME FROM! LIKE SOMEONE SAID, THE BODYGUARD RECORDS ALONE WILL SLAY CAREERS LET ALONE ALBUM TO ALBUM PERFORMANCE!

NOW GO ON OFF SOMEWHERE WITH YOUR MESS!

**It is my belieft that most of these records still stand and where they have been shared or broken, it's been noted but they still remained firsts done by Whitney

and now other comments

LOL WHAT A TRIP. Every comment, in attempts to make Janet appear better than Whitney was a big fail and could be re-upped by rattling off other stats from Whitney.

Whitney has also had 4 #1's on a single album, the WHITNEY album!

Yes, MTV gave Janet an ICON award. Whitney has more awards than any other female singer.

You ask the question who had a #1 single in the last 10 years? Who had a #1 album in the last 2? I wouldn't bring record sales into the picture, especially worldwide because that will be a landslide. Not to mention Whitney has one film that grossed more than all of Janet's.

Janet was the first black woman to be nominated for best song. I don't think there is enough time to list all of the things Whitney was the first black woman to do, although Tib tried.

Whitney's legacy is in tact. She is the one people stand up for when she walks on a stage. She is the one who has the definitive version of our national album. And the accolades go on and on.

I won't dog Janet Jackson because she is one of my favorite artists of all time. But to pretend she has had a more successful or bigger career than Whitney Houston is a joke. And actually PROVEN otherwise. Janet has never generated the buzz around her that Whitney Houston has. Whitney draws attention, hence the most watched television interviews, the highest rated tv movie of all time and yada yada yada. Hope you had fun here, lol.

AS WAS STATED WHITNEY IS PRIMARILY AN ALBUMS SELLER: BILLBOARD 200 STATS

Most cumulative weeks at number one

The Beatles (132)

Elvis Presley (67)

Michael Jackson (51) (tie)

Garth Brooks (51) (tie)

Whitney Houston (46) (tie)

The Kingston Trio (46) (tie)

Album milestones

Most weeks at number one

(54 weeks) West Side Story – Soundtrack (1962–63)

(37 weeks) Thriller – Michael Jackson (1983–84)

(31 weeks) Calypso – Harry Belafonte (1956–57)

(31 weeks) South Pacific – Soundtrack (1958–59)

(31 weeks) Rumours – Fleetwood Mac (1977–78)

(24 weeks) Saturday Night Fever – Bee Gees/Soundtrack (1978)

(24 weeks) Purple Rain – Prince and the Revolution (1984–85)

(21 weeks) Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em – MC Hammer (1990)

(20 weeks) The Bodyguard – Whitney Houston/Soundtrack (1992–93)

(20 weeks) Blue Hawaii – Elvis Presley (1961–62)

DON'T SEE JANET ANYWHERE ON THOSE LISTS

LIKE PUFFY SAYS, ...CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP! LET THIS BE A LESSON FOR ALL THE RIFF RAFF THAT DARE SHOW THEIR FACE AND TRY TO DISMISS MS. WHITNEY ELIZABETH HOUSTON! CLASS DISMISSED!

Most #1 songs from a single album (female): 4 (Mariah Carey's Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston's Whitney, Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814, and Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl)

Most #1 covers: 4 (Whitney Houston)

Artist with the Best Selling version of The Star Spangled Banner: Whitney Houston (Platinum)

Female artist with the most albums to sell over 9 million units: Tie: Shania Twain, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey

Best Selling Gospel album: The Preacher's Wife (Whitney Houston)

Houston's former grammar school was renamed The Whitney E. Houston Academy For Creative And Performing Arts.

The 1st Women's World Awards[185][186][AC] — World Arts Award for Lifetime Achievement Won

The New Jersey Walk of Fame[188] Inductee Walk of Fame[AD] Won

Guinness World Records — The Most Awarded/Popular Female Artist of All Time[189] Won

In Japan, it was certified 2× million by the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ) in 1994, the first time a foreign artist achieved that feat in Japanese music history, and eventually became the best-selling foreign album with 2.8 million copies sold.[43][44] The record was later broken by Mariah Carey's #1's, certified 3× million in 1998

In Mexico, the soundtrack sold more than 500,000 copies, making it the best-selling English-language record ever in 1994.[53]

It has sold 1.1 million in Brazil, becoming the best-selling international album by a female artist,[49] and set a record for the best-selling foreign album with the sales of 1.2 million over in South Korea.[50][51] In Australia, it became the best selling album of 1993

With the next two Top 5 singles[71] "I'm Every Woman" (a Chaka Khan cover) and "I Have Nothing", following on the heels of "I Will Always Love You", Houston became the first female act to have three songs in the Top 20 simultaneously.

Two songs, "Run To You" and "I Have Nothing", were each nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song,

The BG was #1 in 19 countries

Grammy Awards

Houston won her third "Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female" award, which is the second record behind Ella Fitzgerald and Barbra Streisand, both received the award 5 times.

World Music Awards

Houston holds the record for the most World Music Awards (5 Awards) won in a single year (tied with Michael Jackson).

1992 The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album Whitney Houston 3x Platinum 1.5 million Best selling album in Germany

The BG is the 3rd best selling cd by a female of all times after Shania Twain’s ‘Come on Over’ and Alannis Morrisette’s ‘jagged Little Pill’

The Bodyguard is the 3rd best selling cd of all times worldwide after MJ, AC/DC and Pink FLoyd and the best selling cd worldwide by a female

STAR SPANGLED BANNER

JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR WHAT HER IMPACT WAS IN RECORDING THIS SONG, SINGING THIS SONG, THEN RELEASING IT TO FUND CHARITY AND THE SALES OF A CHARITY SINGLE AT THAT TIME OF THE NON DIGITIAL ERA, PHENOMENAL IMPACT! JANET TITTIES WISHES IT COULD BE THAT IMPACTFUL!

In 2001, Houston and Arista Records agreed to re-release her version of the Star Spangled Banner to benefit the families of police officers and firefighters killed during the tragic events of September 11, 2001. It sold more than 300,000 copies, raised more than $1 million, and earned Whitney yet another Top 10 single as it

Producer

1997 'Cinderella' Tv Movie

2001 'The Princess Diaries' (108.2 million US, 165.3 million worldwide)

2003 'The Cheetah Girls' Tv Movie

2004 'The Princess Diaries 2' (94.6 million US, 125.0 million worldwide

WHERE IS JANET'S SUCESSFUL MOVIE PRODUCTION CREDITS?

WHITNEY WAS ONE OF THE FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN MODELS TO BE FEATURED ON SEVENTEEN MAGAZINE! OH! U DIDN'T KNOW THAT AND YET SHE HAS NEVER HAD TO USE HER BODY TO PROPEL HER MUSIC! ANOTHER OH!

Her recording of the title track to the 1988 Olympics tribute, 'One Moment In Time', restored her to US Top 5 prominence and topped the UK singles chart.

Her appearance on BET’s Celebration of Gospel helped to give the show it’s highest ratings ever

WHEN JANET CAN HAVE ONE OF HER ALBUMS DO THIS GLOBALLY THEN WE CAN TALK!

The album reached the number one in almost all countries. It topped the albums chart in Australia for five weeks,[28] Austria for nine weeks,[29] Canada for twelve weeks,[30] France for eight weeks, Germany for eleven weeks,[31] Hungary for two weeks,[32] Italy for two weeks, Japan for two weeks,[33] Netherlands for six weeks,[34] New Zealand for eight weeks,[35] Norway for six weeks,[36] Sweden for four weeks,[37] Switzerland for nine weeks.[38] In the United Kingdom, the album didn't chart on the main albums chart because compilation albums were excluded from the main albums chart from January 1989.[39] Instead, the album reached the top on the official compilation albums chart and stayed there for eleven weeks, spending sixty non-consecutive weeks in the top 10 and for a total of 107 weeks on the chart. Through its massive success across Europe, it topped the European Top 100 Albums chart for fifteen non-consecutive weeks.[40] In the U.K., the album was certified 7× platinum by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) on January 1, 1994,[41] and has sold 2,138,030 copies, landing at number fifty-three on the list of UK's 100 best-selling albums of all time, announced by The Official UK Charts Company in November, 2006.[42]

In addition, the album was the first in Nielsen SoundScan history to rank among the top three albums in two consecutive years (#3 for 1992, #1 for 1993), and the best-selling soundtrack by the National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) in 1993-1994

Industry Association of America(RIAA)[162] Whitney Houston (herself) Top-selling R&B Female Artist of the Century Won

The Bodyguard Soundtrack Top-selling Soundtrack Album of the Century Won

Whitney has more 1mil+selling albums in the UK than Janet, and Mariah. Of all the Divas, Madonna has the most and Whitney is the only African American with 4 1+mil selling CDs.

1+mil Solo Album Sales for Females in the UK

11 . Whitney Houston -- Whitney :: 2,240,000

29 . Whitney Houston -- Greatest Hits :: 1,660

51 . Whitney Houston -- Whitney Houston :: 1,255,000

The Bodyguard reportedly has sold more than 2.1 million in the UK- so, that would place it in the top 15, giving Whitney four albums in the top 100. With six of 13 tracks, that's enough to classify it as a Whitney Houston album (in the USA, the RIAA and Billboard both credit her- BB didn't when it was on the chart, but has for some time now when talking about stats).

OK, I'LL STOP SPANKING YOUR BUTT NOW BEFORE I GET ARRESTED FOR CHILD ABUSE! ##BYEGURL##FLYGURL!!

LIKE BEYONCE SUNG, '...U MUST NOT KNOW BOUT ME, U MUST NOT KNOW BOUT ME..." I SPECIALIZE IN RECEIPTS!

NOW RUN GO TELL DAT!!!!

t's Funny Because He Actually Made Quite A Few Mistakes About Janet Jackson Records And Even Tried Adding Things Like "Janet is the first female artist to receive a BMA for best selling album of the year." You Can Add Those Little Things In All You Want But Whitney Has Made A Wide Majority Of Impact Than Janet....

None Of Us Would Be Defending Whitney Like This If You Hadn't Say Things Like "Snatch That Wig, She Punch This And That" But Let Me Tell You Something, Each Successfull Artist Has Made An Impact And Made Achievements That Has Not Been Broken Or Has Been Broken. Basically I Am Trying To Say That Each Successful Artist Are Bigg In Their Own Way. Some Of The Things That You Listed That Janet Has Achieved Are Correct, But Some Of Them Are Not Or Does Not Matter Because Whitney Has Made A Greater Accomplishment...Again I Wish I Didn't Have To Make Whitney Sound Like The Best Artist In The World Comparing It To Janet....But In This Case...I'm Gonna Have To.....

First Of All How Many Albums Does Janet Jackson Have? How Much Did She Sell? Why Aren't All Of Janet's Studio Albums Certified By R.I.A.A.?

Now How Many Album Does Whitney Have? How Much Has She Sold? And Why Are All Of Her Studio Albums Certifried By R.I.A.A.?

A User Said That "Whitney was the first solo female artist to have 3 number one singles from one album." Which Is True! Then You Replied "And Ms. Janet punched that shit down by having 4 #1s from one album, and having 3 of them in three separate calendar years." If I Am Not Mistaken Didn't Miss Whitney Houston Achieved FOUR Number One Hits From Her Second Album That Was Released In 1987? And Janet Achieved That Feat After Whitney, So Janet Did Not Punch Down Nothing Because She Couldn't Whitney Houston Was Already One Step Ahead Of Her.

I Don't Know Why You Used Those Yellow Faces Things To Laugh When The User Said "Whitney has the most number-one covers. She`s covered the songs "Saving All My Love For You", "Greatest Love Of All", "All The Man That I Need" and "I Will Always Love You" Because Its True!

And This Comment "Whitney is the only artist to have charted from 1984 to 2009. Other artists such as Elvis Presley have had longer streaks, but not during this time" And You Said "Really? Because the 2000s said -----> MARIAH"

What Does Mariah Carey Have To Do With This, Mariah Started Charting In 1990 Not 1984.

Those Other Comments I Don't Understand.................Anyways...

You Said "Janet is the first female artist to receive a BMA for best selling album of the year." But Whitney became the only artist to grab the top spots of Top Billboard 200 Album, Top R&B Album, Hot 100 Single and Hot R&B Single simultaneously in the history of the charts. She is the only artist to win Top R&B Album three times in the history of Billboard Year-End Charts to date, after Whitney Houston in 1986 and I'm Your Baby Tonight in 1991. In addition, Houston is the second artist behind Elton John and the only female artist to have two number-one Top Billboard 200 Album awards (formerly "Top Pop Album") on Billboard magazine year-end charts.

You Said "Janet is the first Black female artist to be nominated for Best Original Song at the Academy Awards." No She Is Not....Lol! Irene Cara Is For Her Song Flashdance....What A Feeling...LMAO!

You Said "Whitney only has 7 platinum singles. You stans need to stop. Janet has 6 platinum singles, btw". Janet Only Has 5 Platinum Singles Not 6....And What About The Gold Singles? Don't They Count?

Janet Jackson Has 5 Platinum Singles And 17 Gold Singles...Whitney Has 15 Gold Singles, 6 Platinum Singles And One Multi-platinum Single.

You Said "Janets the 1st to have a #1 on any chart in the 80's, 90's, 00's, & 010's"...But She Was Not...I Really Don't Know Where You Got That From...!

You Said "Which of the 2 have had a entire show dedicated to them being a icon?...That May Be True That Janet Has A Show Dedicated To Her....But How Many Times Has Whitney Been Honored?

And The Whole Tour Thing Was Quite Harsh....!

Yes We Do Like To Say Whitney Has More Number Ones Which Is 11 And Janet Has 10...Yes Each Of Janet's Number Ones Stay At Number One The Longer Than Whitney's, But Overall Janet Jackson's Spent 32 Weeks At Number One And Whitney's Spent 31 Weeks.....Either Way....And Yes Janet May Have More 1's On R&B,Dance, And Probably Airplay Charts Than Whitney....But Are We Forgetting That Janet Jackson Released 78 Singles And Whitney Released 53...Lets Not Forget That....And According To The Facts That You Listed About Janet, When Some Of Them Are Not True, I Higly Doubt Janet Has Made More Achievements On The Billboard Pop Charts Than Whitney...I Can Believe The R&B Charts But Not Pop Charts!

And I Don't Get When You Said This "If Whitney was gonna focus on films in the 90s, why did she only do two films after the TBG? Spare me." Because Whitney Did Focused On Films In The Ninties, Even Though She Came Out With An Album At The Starting Of The Ninties She Was Also Supposed To Make Another Album But Then She Started To Focusing On Films During The Ninties TBG (1992), WTE(1995), TPW(1996) Which Each Took Around A Year To Film And Producing Cinderella(1997)! So Yes She Did Focus More On Films In The 90's!!

You Said "Whitney is NOT more successful, nor has she made the biggest impact. If Whitney is more successful, why is she the ONLY one of the 80s/90s gals to not make Forbes Richest Women in Entertainment back in 2007?" First Of All, Rich And Being Successful Maybe Related But They Are Two Different Things...And The Reason Why She Did Not Make The List Is Because She Was Rarley Active For 2000 - 2007...She Released Two Albums And Two Movies That Were Released For Theatres And They Were All Don Back To Back.! Where As Each And Every One Of Those Female Artist Made The List Because They Were 100 Miles More Active Than Whitney!

You Said "Keep showing that you know nothing about MJ outside of his record sales. "Thriller" was more than just a popular album/video. And those albums are CLASSIC and WIDELY considered among the greatest ever released. The Bodyguard is NOT." Because A User Said "IWALY is a thriller,purple rain moment for whitney"....The User Never Said Anything About The Bodyguard Soundtrack, They Said The Single Was The Thriller/Purple Rain Moment For Whitney...Which By The Way It Was, Just Like Mariah's Thriller/Purple Rain Moment Was We Belong Together, And Janet Jackson Was...I Guess That's The Way Love Goes!

You Said "And nothing Whitney related has trended in the past couple of months. I know, I'm on twitter every damn day."....You Clearly Are Blind!

Poetic Just Is A Classic, But Whitney's Film Are More Favoured....

You Said "You ignoring 1989/1990 when Janet collected Whitney, Mariah, Madonna, AND Celine's wig with RN1814."....RN1814 Has Been Certified 6x Platinum And Sold 14 Millions Worldwide, Madonna's Like A Prayer Was Certified 4x Platinum And Sold 13 Millions Same Goes For Whitney I'm Your Baby Tonight, And Mariah's Debut Album (Which Was Released In 1990) Was Certified 9x Platinum And Sold 15 Millions...So Basically Janet Did Not Snatch Nothing But Her Own Wig Or Weave Because Each Of These Artist Held Their Own During That Time...Except Celine Dion!

You Said "all of those other artists outselling Whitney during that time in the late 90s/early 00s too"...The Person Wasn't Talking About Whitney, But Janet...

You Said "You ignoring 2001 when Janet outsold both Just Whitney and Glitter. And mind you TVR outsold MLIYL both stateside and worldwide, as did Madonna and Celine during that time." Just Whitney Was Rleased In Late 2002 December...And TVR Did Not Outsell MLIYL.....TVR Was Certified 3xplatinum And 10 Million Worldwide, While MLIYL Was Cerified 4xplatinum And Sold 10 Millions Worldwide.

I'm Not Done...But...I Am Tired...I Need To Go To My Bad...At The End Of The Day I Dont Care For Comparisons Because I Love Them Both...I May Not Love Them Equally....But They Deserve Standing Ovations For Their Accomplishments, But When People Compare Two Artist Like The Way You Did....It Makes Me Want To Jump Right In And Snatch YOUR WIG!.....LOL!

@Tibby: your receipts has killed this Idrag4flops person in a grave. I actually started taking her/him as a joke when they stated Janet's videos being more impactful than the man who made music video history: Michael Jackson! I remember when FOX and ABC use to premiere his videos in PRIMETIME! They were basically EVENTS!

Then his/her lie about Janet winning 14 Billboard awards in one night was another LIE! It was 8! Proof @ the 5:06 mark in the 1st video: Sit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9vdv79Txw&feature=player_embedded

And in thie 2nd vid @Idrag4lies starting @ the 4:03 mark, Quincy Jones says Whitney's 11 BBMA in one night was the most won by any other artist in a single night, debunking your LIE that Janet won 14 in one night unless she won more after 1993 after Whitney wiped her a$$ and tool a break, which DID NOT happen!...RECEIPTS:

I've listed lots of her records for Whitney and Whitney Houston cds, not all but many of them. I've also listed some notations about Whitney on Forbes:

Following the release of the album, Houston embarked on the Moment of Truth World Tour which was one of the ten highest grossing concert tours of 1987. The success of the tour and Houston's albums helped make her one of the top 10 highest earning entertainers according to Forbes Magazine. She was the highest earning African-American woman and the second highest entertainer after Bill Cosby. The list included her concert grosses during 1986 and 1987.

With her current world tour continuing overseas, Houston was still one of the top 10 highest earning entertainers for 1988-1989 according to Forbes.

I believe that she was also on Forbes after her Bodyguard tour.

Whitney also did significant philantrophic/charity work on behalf ot the United Negro College Fund, Red Cross, Children's Defense Fund, Firemen/Policemen and numerous other causes including South Africa.

In my posts above are her considerable achievements including being the first artist to get Diamon certifications etc

I also listed that Whitney has 4 million selling cds in the UK, Janet has none and I belive Mariah has 2. The Bodyguard sold over 2mil copies in the UK alone along with her debut cd! Whitney: The greatest hits with little to no promo has sold well in excess of 1mil copies as well confirming that whitney is truly the last of an international artist.

11 . Whitney Houston -- Whitney :: 2,240,000

29 . Whitney Houston -- Greatest Hits :: 1,660

51 . Whitney Houston -- Whitney Houston :: 1,255,000

The Bodyguard reportedly has sold more than 2.1 million in the UK- so, that would place it in the top 15, giving Whitney four albums in the top 100. With six of 13 tracks, that's enough to classify it as a Whitney Houston album (in the USA, the RIAA and Billboard both credit her- BB didn't when it was on the chart, but has for some time now when talking about stats).

but I think Whitney just has more. Part of that is because she came first of course.

Someone was talking about Whitney not being on Forbes in 2007. Whitney's net worth is not really known and she wasn't doing anything in 2007. But she made Forbes in the 80s and 90s and in some years was the only black woman on the list, or the highest black woman on the list.

TBG was huge, but the Whitney album has plenty of records too. We always hear about it debuting at #1 (and who really knows how much it sold first week since soundscan didn't exist, some people think it could have been a million), and the 4 #1s, but it was also the first album by a black female artist to reach #1 in many countries around the world. Its one of the biggest albums in UK history.

IWALY was huge, but IWDWS also hit #1 in practically every country around the world and stayed there for multiple weeks. I don't think Janet even has one song that had that much GLOBAL impact, let alone two. I guess Together Again and All For You come close, but still did not achieve the global impact that IWDWS did.

And why are you bringing up the wardrobe malfunction? Why are you reminding us that the only thing Janet is known for this decade is something like that? That actually hurts your argument. Its like Whitney fans mentioning that "crack is whack" becoming a pop culture catchphrase to show how big Whtiney is. Its embarassing.

Also, Whitney's SSB in placed in a Washington DC war museum. That is huge. I don't think any of the other divas have something that culturally significant and important to that.

http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic/7991/Who-has-made-the-greater-impact-Mariah-or-Janet?page=18#.ToYhMuuate5

I dont knw why i can't let it go..its like i feel if i don't respond its mean.i have conceded and agreed with everything they have said

sigh, I know the feeling all to well.

But Whitney didnt pave shit for Janet, How the hell did she when she only started attempting to dance after Janet blew up?

Michael broke down the door for both them hoes. Janet and Whitney both got steady rotation on MTV in late winter of 1986, per MTV exec from Billboard 1986.

Janet was already a triple threat before the world even knew who the hell, or what the hell a Whitney Houston was. Janet is also the reason why artists today try to branch into acting. Just goes to show who had more impact on the making of a pop star.

Plus, it's because of Janet that female entertainers aren't "complete" unless they can dance. Something Whitney picked up in 1991. Plus, Whitney has Janet to thank for IYBT because Janet was the pioneer of blending pop with New Jack Swing, when Whitney was trying to be "Black" again.

There's also the fact that Janet was among the first to massively sell R&B overseas. No one before Janet was selling R&B at her level until Janet came long. Now you have a bulk of artists selling R&B internationally. That was because Janet broke down the door. So Whitney, along with a bevy of today's acts, has Janet to thank for that as well.

I would even argue that Janet is truly the first Black female icon. Donna and all them were big, but Janet was bigger than them internationally. Whitney was never iconic. Hence why Janet's iconography outweighs Whitney's.

Leave the Whitney stans to their delusions. Janet's impact is prevalent in all of today's acts. Nobody uses Whitney anymore. Hell look at the Youtube videos of her most recent tours and her stans saying "The voice is still there!", when in fact that voice checked out over a decade ago.

But who's more relevant now? All them receipts don't prove shit. I love Whitney for her influence. But Janet was the alternative to Whitney and Anita, and began snatching wigs. I grew up around that time and I can say that Janet made a name for herself in pop music.

398718729.jpg

seriously.

they are contemporaries. just because whitney was on mtv b4 janet does not mean that she paved the way for janet. i guess whitney paved the way for all african american females because there were absolutely no popular african american females before her :mellow:

michael broke the color barrier for everyone. michael didnt break the barrier for just black males. wtf.

seriously.

they are contemporaries. just because whitney was on mtv b4 janet does not mean that she paved the way for janet. i guess whitney paved the way for all african american females because there were absolutely no popular african american females before her :mellow:

michael broke the color barrier for everyone. michael didnt break the barrier for just black males. wtf.

Exactly. Just forget about Aretha, Diana, Tina and Donna.

I dont knw why i can't let it go..its like i feel if i don't respond its mean.i have conceded and agreed with everything they have said

copy and paste what a few others have said in this thread and take it to their asses

seriously.

Not to mention, Tina Turner, Donna Summer, Prince, and Musical Youth are just some of the Black acts that were getting rotation on MTV before Michael even came along. And per Les Garland, the senior vice president of programming at MTV said it was because her last name was "Jackson" was the reason why MTV started playing her videos in the first place, NOT Whitney.

As for films, they tried it. Whitney's films didn't help Tyler Perry at all. The Bodyguard was NOT targeted to the Black audience. If it was, it would have made the same amount as Boyz N The Hood, Jason's Lyric, Poetic Justice, and other popular Black films during that time. Whitney didn't cross over into Black cinema until The Preacher's Wife and Waiting To Exhale, AFTER Poetic Justice. So who REALLY broke down the door for Whitney in that aspect?

And I'm still :lmao: @ 90% of those stats coming from The Bodyguard. So glad Janet was popular enough to have more than one album that set/broke a lot of records. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And if you post there again, PLEASE ask them why Janet is being featured in the R&R Hall of Fame this year and Whitney is not? :lmao:

So let me get this straight, "Whitney Houston" sold 25 million copies worldwide, making it the biggest debut album for a female artist at that time. Went on a successful tour in 1986. Her second album "Whitney" is a first for a female artist to debut #1 in the US, and breaks other records worldwide. She scores three #1's in the UK between 1985-1988. Her second album sells around 19 million worldwide and yet JANET is the first black female icon. And yet Janet was popular enough to have more than one album set/break records?

That makes absolutely no sense, i'm trying to give you a chance but some of the stuff you are saying is flat out stupid, like for real. Whitney made and broke records between 1985-1988 with her first two albums. Let me ask you a question, I really want to see just how bold you are. Do you honestly believe Janet was bigger than Whitney worldwide and in US with "Control and Rhythm Nation" than Whitney was with "Whitney Houston and Whitney"? And if Janet was such a triple threat before Whitney came out, how is it that her first two albums flopped massively. She didn't get big until Whitney blew up, and Control and Rhythm Nation still didn't make her bigger than "Whitney Houston" and "Whitney". To be honest, the most frightening statement you made was that Whitney was never iconic, like that alone is a reason to be banned. I mean even the people who were banned here at least knew her place in music history. You don't even deserve to be called a fan or a member on this site to make such a stupid statement.

"Whitney Houston

"Whitney"

"I'm Your Baby Tonight"

"The Bodyguard"

Waiting to Exhale"

"The Preachers Wife"

"Cinderella"

"My Love is Your Love"

"The Greatest Hits"

"I Look to You"

count her tours, HBO specials, Star Spangled Banner and you have yourself an iconic singer. And what's even worse is that, I think you may actually believe Janet is still bigger than Whitney. I hate to burst your bubble but Janet is not even relevant anymore. "I Look to You" was a bigger success than "Discipline" stateside and worldwide. Hell, Whitney's Ultimate Collection that came out in 07 did better than Janet's Number Ones.Take away IWALY Whitney would still be tied with Janet for #1's, take away TBG Whitney would still have sold more albums US and worldwide lol.

Janet flops with 20yo, flops with Discipline, Damita Jo was basically a flop, Number Ones was a flop, Rock With You tour was a flop, she hasn't won a single award since I don't know when, she's not getting honored by any of the big award shows and yet she's more iconic than Whitney. She's on a freaking small venue tour, reconnecting with her fans and she is supposed to be on top of Whitney? There's no guarantee in life, but I would put some money that Whitney will continue to be more successful than Janet from here on out. I think Whitney's next few movies, soundtracks, cd's will out perform Ms. Jackson. Because unlike Janet, people actually care about Whitney.

They're still grasping for straws from an empty box. :lol:

Again, why isn't Whitney being featured in the R&R Hall of Fame like Janet?

What is her impact outside of her voice?

Furthermore, why did Janet's theatre tour gross half of Whitney's arena tour with only 16 reported dates?

Janet doesn't need to win any awards. She's won all the ones that matter.

What are some examples of Whitney's iconography?

There was never a discussion on who was bigger, the discussion was impact. I see they're on a tangent, and an irrelevant one too.

"Number Ones was a flop, Rock With You tour was a flop..... but I would put some money that Whitney will continue to be more successful than Janet from here on out. I think Whitney's next few movies, soundtracks, cd's will out perform Ms. Jackson."

This person is an idiot and doesn't deserve to be on the internet.

Whitney and Janet hit the scene kinda simultaneously. So really whitney couldn't have opened the door for Janet. They were walking through that door at the same time.

And as hotboy already pointed out, Janet was the alternative to Whitney. And as quiet as its kept, Anita Baker was too. Janet had a more urban/street vibe to her sound, and Anita was considered more jazzy/soulful. Whitney was the pop girl, and she was kinda corny to be honest. They all occupied a different lane, which is why they have distinct fans to this day. But whitney didn't open the door for black women on mainstream radio. If anybody did that it was Donna Summers in the 70s.

So i traveled a little and so i had checked in on CW for a while ..and when i went there to. today i seemed to have pissed of the "Big guns" here are somethings they posted

And they came to "dispel" all i said there and provide "receipts"

THEN this

and now other comments

http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic/7991/Who-has-made-the-greater-impact-Mariah-or-Janet?page=18#.ToYhMuuate5

Lawd.

I'm sorry honey but...

dh4xab.gif

Stan wars are played out.

Archived