Who was more versatile with their music and dancing?

Xtraordinary Xternal

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael is a LEGEND

but when it came to variety as far as choreography Janet>>>>

When you compare all of her routines and videos they were all so different and gave different vibes.

When I watched an MJ video or performance I already kind of knew what to expect dancewise. A militant, robotic, and clean routine (You rock my world, Dangerous live, half of the History Tour). OR some type of freestyle because we all know MJ will freestyle circles around Janet. That was never her element.

But In all fairness Mj didn't really do a lot of choreographed routines after the Dangerous Era so there isn't much to go off if you want to compare music videos. Plus Janet was throwing out video after video from 89-09 and dance and choreography really evloved in those 20 years. (Rhythm Nation vs Doesn't Really Matter) She was able to keep up. MJ would put one out here and there but he was kind of doing his own thing for most of the 90's up until his passing

Michael is a LEGEND

but when it came to variety as far as choreography Janet>>>>

When you compare all of her routines and videos they were all so different and gave different vibes.

When I watched an MJ video or performance I already kind of knew what to expect dancewise. A militant, robotic, and clean routine (You rock my world, Dangerous live, half of the History Tour). OR some type of freestyle because we all know MJ will freestyle circles around Janet. That was never her element.

But In all fairness Mj didn't really do a lot of choreographed routines after the Dangerous Era so there isn't much to go off if you want to compare music videos. Plus Janet was throwing out video after video from 89-09 and dance and choreography really evloved in those 20 years. (Rhythm Nation vs Doesn't Really Matter) She was able to keep up. MJ would put one out here and there but he was kind of doing his own thing for most of the 90's up until his passing

Take all of Janet's dancers aways from the Icon "You Ain't Right" performance and that was freestyle all on its own and beats Mike...sorry but it does. Janet does freestyle but she always has her dancers with her but sometimes I wish she would do it alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPcj5IIvLCY

The You aint Right clip is choreographed. All of her Freestyles/solo bits are choreographed... even her staging is choreographed when she walks from one end of the stage to the other

the break downs on Throb and So Much Betta were also choreographed.

Not everyone can freestyle on the spot. Janet has always been someone who is very rehearsed

Have you seen all of his videos/short films? I don't see why Michael gets so much slack around here, but again, to each his own. We all differ. *shrugs*

Janet has touched MORE different styles of dancing than Mike has. Hey,Im only "trained" dancer ...what do I know but you're right...everyone can have their own opinion,I suppose.

This thread will not end will...so i won't say my honest opinion ...because 80% of the people on this board will not take it well..

I will say however that On this forum ..Janet will win both hands down ..but anywhere else :whistle:

With that said

My answer so as not to start anything is Janet and michael ..Janet and michael end of!

Because Michael Jackson will always get "extra credit" because he's MICHAEL JACKSON and is known as the dancing "GOD". Your normal person would feel obligated to hand it to Mike because of this. I swear you Mike fans act like its always fair game when Mike is present..it WILL never be because its like a sin to vote against Mike,lets stop playing,MY GOD. Any REAL dancer will tell you who is more versatile if they were to study their work over the years.

Janet has touched MORE different styles of dancing than Mike has. Hey,Im only "trained" dancer ...what do I know but you're right...everyone can have their own opinion,I suppose.

But they are always choreographed for her. Even if much of Michael's had some of the same moves each time, 95-98% of the time he freestyled it. That just gets a little more with me. I dance, too, babe. I know her horizons have expanded more, but in the end after a long weighing process, Mike gets my vote. Not by alot, but enough for it to go to him mainly because of the free-style. But again, to each his own.

The You aint Right clip is choreographed. All of her Freestyles/solo bits are choreographed... even her staging is choreographed when she walks from one end of the stage to the other

the break downs on Throb and So Much Betta were also choreographed.

Not everyone can freestyle on the spot. Janet has always been someone who is very rehearsed

Its still freestyle period and like I said...take away the dancers and that's Janet freestyling. Freestlye is learned just like any other form of dancing. Let's say if Janet was on the street watching b-boys and other street dancers dancing like that and she picked it up it's still freestyle. Just cause she had a alot of dancers with her don't mean it ain't freestlye :coffee:

Because Michael Jackson will always get "extra credit" because he's MICHAEL JACKSON and is known as the dancing "GOD". Your normal person would feel obligated to hand it to Mike because of this. I swear you Mike fans act like its always fair game when Mike is present..it WILL never be because its like a sin to vote against Mike,lets stop playing,MY GOD. Any REAL dancer will tell you who is more versatile if they were to study their work over the years.

These two do not belong in this paragraph in the slightest. I don't vote for him because of his name and what's "associated" with him. I have my free choice and I use it based on how I feel.

She has hit more bases, indeed. She owns choreography and reigns as queen. But why I give my dance votes to Michael is because of his free-style. He saw Tap and Jazz, standard dance-types, and formatted them to him and also took it beyond that. She has done more choreography and is more versatile that way, but Michael made his own style. That is why he is my choice.

But they are always choreographed for her. Even if much of Michael's had some of the same moves each time, 95-98% of the time he freestyled it. That just gets a little more with me. I dance, too, babe. I know her horizons have expanded more, but in the end after a long weighing process, Mike gets my vote. Not by alot, but enough for it to go to him mainly because of the free-style. But again, to each his own.

Freestyling has nothing to do with versatility. Just because he freestyled means he was more versatile than Janet dancewise? Now its one thing if you think Mike is a BETTER dancer because he freestyled but thats NOT what this is about. Its about versatility they've displayed in their body of "dance work". Thats a whole nother thing.

Freestyling has nothing to do with versatility. Just because he freestyled means he was more versatile than Janet dancewise? Now its one thing if you think Mike is a BETTER dancer because he freestyled but thats NOT what this is about. Its about versatility they've displayed in their body of "dance work". Thats a whole nother thing.

See above post. I think I gave a little more there.

See above post. I think I gave a little more there.

Im still not seeing how that makes Mike more versatile. The question posed to us is very DIRECT and clear. Whether something is choreographed or freestyle has nothing to do with the their body of work dancewise. When you look compare all of their videos and performances...Janet has showcased alot more different styles of dancing than Mike EVER has. If anything Mike stuck to his own template and didnt venture off to far beyond his "base". Janet DID. Her body of work overall shows more versatility than Mikes work. DRM alone displays many different styles (ie street,jazz,hip hop,etc) ..When has Mike ever? You can claim a better dancer but versatility? ...No.

Its still freestyle period and like I said...take away the dancers and that's Janet freestyling. Freestlye is learned just like any other form of dancing. Let's say if Janet was on the street watching b-boys and other street dancers dancing like that and she picked it up it's still freestyle. Just cause she had a alot of dancers with her don't mean it ain't freestlye :coffee:

No. :lol:

Im still not seeing how that makes Mike more versatile. The question posed to us is very DIRECT and clear. Whether something is choreographed or freestyle has nothing to do with the their body of work dancewise. When you look compare all of their videos and performances...Janet has showcased alot more different styles of dancing than Mike EVER has. If anything Mike stuck to his own template and didnt venture off to far beyond his "base". Janet DID. Her body of work overall shows more versatility than Mikes work. DRM alone displays many different styles (ie street,jazz,hip hop,etc) ..When has Mike ever? You can claim a better dancer but versatility? ...No.

Alright then. That makes sense.

gotta say janet on both accounts peole will say all day that mike danced better than janet and in freestyle obv yes but u cant rely solely on freestyle ur whole career, from control to her make me video there are a vast array of diff dance styles and she executes all the styles very well, mike if you go from thriller to invincible there isnt much variety in his dancing, yes janet couldnt do what he did but as much as i love michael im not here for the same dancing style for 20 years

:umm:

Archived