NY Times on the truth behind why Janet is with Nutrisystem

jarrylf

THIS holiday season, three of the country’s biggest diet companies are turning to three well-known divas to deliver public-minded messages about obesity and its opposite, hunger, along with the customary exhortations for people to begin shedding pounds as soon as the year’s festivities end.

The singers Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson and Jennifer Hudson are showing off newly slender bodies to entice tubbier folks to follow their example. “Get On It,” says Ms. Jackson, in the “Success” program being introduced on Friday by Nutrisystem Inc.

Even with the stellar lineup, major weight-loss brands are going beyond usual diet offerings like new or tastier food to add their voices to public nutritional concerns.

Jenny, which also dropped the surname Craig, brought Ms. Carey aboard last month to show off the loss of 30 postpregnancy pounds she credited to the program, and to be the public face of a new effort to raise awareness of the health consequences of overeating.

Nutrisystem and Ms. Jackson are creating Nutribank to distribute meals to the hungry, beginning with $10 million in company food contributions for 2012. The company has pledged one dollar’s worth of company food for every pound lost by Nutrisystem customers next year.

Ms. Hudson continues as Weight Watchers International’s spokeswoman, introducing its “Believe Because It Works” campaign on Dec. 22. The basketball great Charles Barkley will begin the brand’s effort to target pudgy men the day after Christmas.

Weight Watchers, which is the largest player in the estimated $60 billion industry, also is pairing with the talk show host Dr. Mehmet Oz for his Transformation Nation challenge, where people weigh-in at a Weight Watchers center, consult with their doctor, begin exercising and have a chance at winning $1 million.

Jenny’s new effort, “My Heart. My Life.,” is a collaboration with the American Heart Association featuring Ms. Carey, with public service announcements urging people to eat healthy and exercise. The program also will include community and education programs, and have a link on its Web site, jennycraig.com, to the heart association’s My Life Check questionnaire that evaluates heart health and risk for heart disease.

Nutrisystem adopted the approach of combating hunger at the behest of Ms. Jackson, who said in an interview that “It’s so heartbreaking to see people hungry. This should not happen at all.”

Although she did not lose her initial weight on Nutrisystem, she is adhering to its plan now, and signed up with the brand, she said, because “weight is something I’ve dealt with it all my life.” She wrote about her body image issues in “True You,” her 2011 book.

“You can get people’s attention when you are famous,” she said, “but hunger is not something you can solve alone, which is why I wanted this partnership. I’m not getting paid. This is from my heart.

Food will be given to the nonprofit Nutribank and be distributed by hunger relief agencies like Save the Children, according to Joseph M. Redling, Nutrisystem’s chief executive. He said the company would donate food in the United States and financial support abroad to fight hunger.

Ms. Jackson is appearing in two 60-second Nutrisystem ads, which weave a more casual persona together with her preparations for a concert. The spots will be officially broadcast starting Dec. 26.“You see her different facets — her in jeans, as authentic and natural, and you see the performance side,” said Mark Dowley, a principal at DDCD & Partners, an independently owned New York agency that handled the campaign.

The spot promotes Nutrisystem’s offerings, which, Mr. Redling said, now have more protein and fiber. Some are sold in bags that can be steamed for convenience. He said the company would spend this year “at least equal to last year’s spend,” on advertising, which was $319 million, according to figures from Kantar Media. Jenny’s outlays were about $50 million and Weight Watchers’ were nearly $134 million in 2010, Kantar said.

Even so, Weight Watchers dominates the industry, with revenue last year of $1.45 billion, according to Marketdata Enterprises, an industry tracking firm in Tampa, Fla.. Nutrisystem was No. 2, with sales of $509 million, down from $776 million before the recession. Jenny tallied $462 million, which is an estimate because it is a division of Nestlé and does not disclose the exact figures, according to Marketdata.

Jenny’s multimedia campaign, done in conjunction with PMK-BNC, an Interpublic Group company, continues to be celebrity-centric, but takes a different approach.

The 30-second ad features Ms. Carey peeling back her glittery black covering, slowly revealing her toned body. There are no words, only “Jenny Set Go” at the end, to highlight the brand’s 28-day jump-start program.

For Weight Watchers, Mr. Barkley is expected to capture overweight males, who typically avoid weight-loss programs. But, said John S. LaRosa, of dietbusinesswatch.com, men are a growing segment because of the anonymity and flexibility of dieting sites on the Web like Weight Watchers, which has 1.7 million paid online subscribers.

Still, Weight Watchers’ success this year “has been in no small part due to the power of Jennifer Hudson,” he said — plus the flexibility and low cost of the program.

Stars “are here to stay because they draw the attention to losing weight,” said Ellen Granberg, a Clemson University sociology professor who studies long-term weight loss. “The companies are changing the way they are perceived, and how they influence the public.” The reason? “They may be transitioning from being seen as diet companies,” she said, “to preventive health providers.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/business/media/weight-loss-with-divas-and-public-service-angles.html?_r=2

(shot of Janet filming her commercial)

390717_344087312272639_100000141207175_1620125_2145113375_n.jpg

(more from the campaign)

376486_344053608942676_100000141207175_1619976_1965050387_n.jpg

383065_344058898942147_100000141207175_1620004_1412738953_n.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS JUST MADE MA DAY, I dont know why, its like I was happy when I thought she was getting paid, but its soooo much sweeter to see that she's not and that she came up with this idea

Said she wants to help people more, and got the nerve to actually do it, you betta go on girl, Who else but....al42rr.gif

WE ARE NOT WORTHY...............for real not even playin lol. We in here and all on the fourms beggin for a new album wonderin about this movie, and this women tryin to make the world a better place. TRULY a goddess

(sidenote, wouldnt it be great if she used the commercials to promote a new single?)

^ I know right and I hope some of them correct themselves, lol there was already this dumbass on the xone calling her shawllow for doing endursemets

I don't think it was ever shallow but the prospect of Janet doing a paid campaign for a weight-loss program is a little demeaning to her name. I know it made a lot of us uneasy. This, however, is amazing.

New pic

2m5ml5f.jpg

I do wish she'd pick a different outfit, but she does look damn good in that black T, but hell how bout the black tank top, I mean she looked way better in that in my opinion). BUT we must remember this aint about her & how she looks, its about how awsome she is for doing this, clock that humanitarian status babe

Archived