Is the music industry dying with the Greats?

bu.

"There are mixed views on the death of Whitney Houston. To me and many others she was a great inspiration in the music industry (most of my faves were inspired by her). Taking her personal life out of the equation I'm yet to hear anyone deny that the music she produced was anything but good.

It's obvious that the type of music that is produced today is very different from the type of music that was produced up until the 90's (at a push) We have all these newage pop artists that seem to have taken over. They have such immense popularity but (to me) they don't seem like they will be long lasting.

On twitter I saw a trending topic that said "Who is Paul McCartney" I was shocked by this but it left me thinking if this is a question that people (younger generations) are asking today what will be left when all the other legendary members of the music industry pass on? Will their legacy be able to carry one or are we all screwed?"

EDIT:

Saw that on another forum and thought it'd make an interesting dicussion.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No because the greats are generational. Those who are greats to us aren't necessarily to the younger generation. To them the Rihanna's and gagas of the world are. We don't consider them to be greats, just like out parents generation didn't consider MJ Janet and Madonna. They had their greats like the Beatles, Elvis, aretha etc

I'm sure my mother and father generation said the same thing when Elvis, beetles, and all the other greats died in the 60s & 70s and prior

Get off ur high horses people... MJ and Whitney haven't made quality music since the 90s..

Whitney made music? I thought she she sung it like Britney Spears :umm:

No because the greats are generational. Those who are greats to us aren't necessarily to the younger generation. To them the Rihanna's and gagas of the world are. We don't consider them to be greats, just like out parents generation didn't consider MJ Janet and Madonna. They had their greats like the Beatles, Elvis, aretha etc

I love this response.

I'm sure my mother and father generation said the same thing when Elvis, beetles, and all the other greats died in the 60s & 70s and prior

Get off ur high horses people... MJ and Whitney haven't made quality music since the 90s..

Oh I should have put that whole post in a quote as I didn't write it. I just copied it from a Sony forum and thought it'd make a good discussion :lol:.

All though Whitney didn't write any music she was involved in the vocal arrangement of her songs.. She was also one of the best to convey emotion in her songs.

Here's is one example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-4mEuObQT8

Good music is good music. The general public under 21 may not know the name "Paul McCartney," but they know who the Beatles are and enjoy their music. I, at age 30, do not by ANY means consider myself a fan of McCartney or the Beatles, but I can name their music and respect them for the good music they made and their accomplishments. The kids may not have been checking for what Whitney and Michael were doing next, but they can name at least 5 songs and know they were the hawt, great ones at some point. It really has more to do with exposure. My parents never force fed Patti, Dionne, Aretha, the Temptations, Otis Redding, etc to me, but they played it in the car. The watched concerts on tv. My sister and mom saw Chaka Khan together with their sorority. It's more about exposing the next gen to the music you grew up on while checking on what's going on now. It wouldn't hurt for a mom to play "Love Child" for her daughter and go look Janet must've liked this. She used the beat for "YWT." There's a reason why so many white kids don't know not to be calling people "nigga." Nobody trying to educate, just bitch.

All though Whitney didn't write any music she was involved in the vocal arrangement of her songs.. She was also one of the best to convey emotion in her songs.

Here's is one example]

Chile... I hope y'all celebrate Britney Spears when she passes like y'all are Whitney.

Vocal arrangement? Psh..

You ought to be punched in the throat 10 times for comparing what Whitney has to that non talent having trick..

Why? They are both talented in their own ways and neither of them had much of an input into the creation of their music. Yes Whitney had an amazing voice, but britney has her lane, and just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make her or her contribution to music any less valuable. They are both huge stars with minimal creative input, just like celine.

Why? They are both talented in their own ways and neither of them had much of an input into the creation of their music. Yes Whitney had an amazing voice, but britney has her lane, and just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make her or her contribution to music any less valuable. They are both huge stars with minimal creative input, just like celine.

ok pauly

tumblr_lts0alJrD01qk2irb.gif

I'm not even a Whitney fan at all but what Whitney was to singers..Mike was to entertainers. I mean..to even put Whitney in the same sentence as Britney is a complete insult. I seen an article the other day that said.."Whitney Houston is your favorite singers favorite singer" ..which is TRUE. Again,singers aspire to sing like Whitney. Entertainers aspire to be like MJ.

Chile... I hope y'all celebrate Britney Spears when she passes like y'all are Whitney.

Vocal arrangement? Psh..

TBH, I'd be shocked, but I wouldn't be extremely sad over it.

However, I wouldn't be an asshole, I wouldn't be mad or roll my eyes because there were other people that cared about her.

It's called moderation. Having your feelings but being considerate of the feelings of others. Learn it.

I'm not even going to comment on some of the mess here, we know who. Every generation will have their #1s. I feel this generation, the mainstream, has close to none as far as potential lifetime greats go. They will have to work to almost nothing and/or change up rules to even threaten the current holders of records in the books. But, I digress. With the last generation before this and those prior there will always be those to speak up for their talent to help it live on(Fans, stans, etc.). People die, legacies don't; and with the way music and dance have always touched people, musicians/entertainers are the very last of those who need to worry about surviving beyond their work.

"And when melodies are gone, in you I hear a song."

"I keep dancing until there is only...the dance."

Id have to strongly disagree. The greats of the 80s/90s took it up levels. Parents, granparents appreciated them too. My grandpa used to love whitneys ballads, nobody could deny her talent. My mum loves some janet.

Its not generational. Its about the artist and the music.

And the issue today is, most of the artists are brash people with 'loud' music. They have taken it down.

These kids that think britney, gaga etc are legend greats are not for real, they just havent heard a janet record.

Vocal arrangement? Psh..

You are nothing but a snob. So damned blinded like the right winged assholes in politics today. There is a big difference between the way Whitney and Britney SANG. SINGING was Whitney's forte...Britney just moves her lips and lets out puke. So please come here with a REAL comparison.

Vocal arrangement? Psh..

You are nothing but a snob. So damned blinded like the right winged assholes in politics today. There is a big difference between the way Whitney and Britney SANG. SINGING was Whitney's forte...Britney just moves her lips and lets out puke. So please come here with a REAL comparison.

I disagree .. I think our parents do consider Janet, MJ, Madonna to b quality artist. I know my parents and their peers love them. I listened to them because my parents listened to them. Today, the calibre of music has been shot to shit. I won't even pick up a Rihanna CD. My brother is 10.. he just doesn't have the same passion for music like we did at that age and I notice this amongst his friends also. At 10, I couldne't get enough of the music because it was damn good.

no paul, no. :mellow:

Did you just put Britney in the same category as Whitney and Celine? :mellow:

I can't deny that Britney has some catchy tunes and she's a pretty girl. But that is ALL she has...Celine and Whitney had VOICES and their songs were beyond just catchy tunes. Lets not compare oranges to a pile of shit here paul.

Alot of truth in that. You could say their best musical years were behind them even when they were alive. Whitney clearly couldnt sing or perform near her musical peak anymore. And every performance was ruining her legacy and a further example of a star fallen from grace.

MJ though who knows really he was about to go on a huge tour that he said would be his last big one. Maybe he would have been amazing a last hurrah. Maybe it would have been a disappointing look at a star past his performing peak as well. Either way it is safe to say their best stuff was behind them, out of the 2 I would have given MJ more credit for doing something more if he had lived. Just because he is more creative and more hands on musically in more ways than Whitney was. Maybe he would have written songs for other people that would have been great.

As for Britney Spears i have no clue what some people are smoking in here but seriously. that girl is a pure manufactured, marketed puppet. She cannot sing and never could. Whitney may not have written her own music but having a voice that was at one point more valuable than anything is an actual gift. A one of a kind voice is just as musically relevant as a great musician. A amazing guitarist, or piano player, or concert violinist. Whitneys voice was an instrument. And she was masterful with it. Yes she destroyed it with drug abuse just like a guitarist could have smashed his guitar on a bender but she HAD it. Britney never had it.

Alot of truth in that. You could say their best musical years were behind them even when they were alive. Whitney clearly couldnt sing or perform near her musical peak anymore. And every performance was ruining her legacy and a further example of a star fallen from grace.

MJ though who knows really he was about to go on a huge tour that he said would be his last big one. Maybe he would have been amazing a last hurrah. Maybe it would have been a disappointing look at a star past his performing peak as well. Either way it is safe to say their best stuff was behind them, out of the 2 I would have given MJ more credit for doing something more if he had lived. Just because he is more creative and more hands on musically in more ways than Whitney was. Maybe he would have written songs for other people that would have been great.

As for Britney Spears i have no clue what some people are smoking in here but seriously. that girl is a pure manufactured, marketed puppet. She cannot sing and never could. Whitney may not have written her own music but having a voice that was at one point more valuable than anything is an actual gift. A one of a kind voice is just as musically relevant as a great musician. A amazing guitarist, or piano player, or concert violinist. Whitneys voice was an instrument. And she was masterful with it. Yes she destroyed it with drug abuse just like a guitarist could have smashed his guitar on a bender but she HAD it. Britney never had it.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Archived