Is the music industry dying with the Greats?

bu.

Alot of truth in that. You could say their best musical years were behind them even when they were alive. Whitney clearly couldnt sing or perform near her musical peak anymore. And every performance was ruining her legacy and a further example of a star fallen from grace.

MJ though who knows really he was about to go on a huge tour that he said would be his last big one. Maybe he would have been amazing a last hurrah. Maybe it would have been a disappointing look at a star past his performing peak as well. Either way it is safe to say their best stuff was behind them, out of the 2 I would have given MJ more credit for doing something more if he had lived. Just because he is more creative and more hands on musically in more ways than Whitney was. Maybe he would have written songs for other people that would have been great.

As for Britney Spears i have no clue what some people are smoking in here but seriously. that girl is a pure manufactured, marketed puppet. She cannot sing and never could. Whitney may not have written her own music but having a voice that was at one point more valuable than anything is an actual gift. A one of a kind voice is just as musically relevant as a great musician. A amazing guitarist, or piano player, or concert violinist. Whitneys voice was an instrument. And she was masterful with it. Yes she destroyed it with drug abuse just like a guitarist could have smashed his guitar on a bender but she HAD it. Britney never had it.

I don't think Whitney's voice deteriorated because of drug abuse. I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I remember interviews from the 90's where she discussed her doctors advising her to rest and not to keep such a hectic touring schedule because it wasn't good for her voice. Of course, the drugs didn't help, but I think it just deteriorated with age. Whitney was also a smoker too, which didn't help at all.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Whitney's voice deteriorated because of drug abuse. I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I remember interviews from the 90's where she discussed her doctors advising her to rest and not to keep such a hectic touring schedule because it wasn't good for her voice. Of course, the drugs didn't help, but I think it just deteriorated with age. Whitney was also a smoker too, which didn't help at all.

Yeah I am not a doctor so I obviously cant say with certainty what happened to her voice but she clearly abused it. Whether it was drugs, smoking, just not taking care of it properly she fucked up

I disagree .. I think our parents do consider Janet, MJ, Madonna to b quality artist. I know my parents and their peers love them. I listened to them because my parents listened to them. Today, the calibre of music has been shot to shit. I won't even pick up a Rihanna CD. My brother is 10.. he just doesn't have the same passion for music like we did at that age and I notice this amongst his friends also. At 10, I couldne't get enough of the music because it was damn good.

of course they do..ESPECIALLY MJ! :blink:

Smoking and drugs...Especially anything with cocaine...Plus straining your voice definitely deteriorates your voice more than aging. Your voice does change with age, but Whitney was only 48...If it weren't for the drugs and smoking. She would have still had a voice. Plus, she also had emphysema...Which affects your breathing. That is also a factor. Whithey definitely ruined herself. It's a damned shame.

Some of you are utterly ridiculous into thinking that Britney hasn't made a mark in pop culture. She's influenced artists, credited for reviving teen pop in the late 90s, her "Blackout" album was praised by critics, and she is directly responsible for creating a rave of anti-Britney artists in the early to mid 2000s. And like it or not, but she is the biggest pop icon of this generation. She has written a notable amount of her catalog, and she is involved in her career more than what people give her credit for. Regardless of whether YOU think Britney, and her music, she is a force for the generation of fans of today.

My mum is 70 and loves MJ - not the way I do but she likes his music and was upset when he died. She recognises that he's a great artist.

My grandmother is 72 and her favorite artist of ALL TIME is PRINCE! She is a Prince STAN :mellow: She loved MJ too and she never misses a Janet Jackson tour. The ONLY one she missed was the janet tour due to Janet playing at an outdoor venue....so yeah..Paul's comment about older ppl not looking at 80s/90s icons as great artist is flawed completely.

Some of you are utterly ridiculous into thinking that Britney hasn't made a mark in pop culture. She's influenced artists, credited for reviving teen pop in the late 90s, her "Blackout" album was praised by critics, and she is directly responsible for creating a rave of anti-Britney artists in the early to mid 2000s. And like it or not, but she is the biggest pop icon of this generation. She has written a notable amount of her catalog, and she is involved in her career more than what people give her credit for. Regardless of whether YOU think Britney, and her music, she is a force for the generation of fans of today.

Palease, who has she influenced, that they dont get from

Janet already!?

Janet was ahead of the pop era with 'together again', released a year b4 B1MT.

All britney had was the image. White pretty innocent teen virgin girl. Thats what made her and nothing else. So she wore a school uniform in a music video for boys to gawk at. Doesnt make her an icon.

Blackout? U for real? Oh wow one album was critically acclaimed! Big whoop.

Everything in her music down to the song titles are a joke.

Never know writing a song called 'if you seek amy' could make u an icon.

Palease, who has she influenced, that they dont get from

Janet already!?

And that somehow diminishes Britney's influence? Please.

Janet was ahead of the pop era with 'together again', released a year b4 B1MT.

BOMT was the bigger hit.

All britney had was the image. White pretty innocent teen virgin girl. Thats what made her and nothing else. So she wore a school uniform in a music video for boys to gawk at. Doesnt make her an icon.

Actually, it does. :lmao:

Blackout? U for real? Oh wow one album was critically acclaimed! Big whoop.

That critics have argued was responsible for the rise of electro/pop in 2008-2011.

Everything in her music down to the song titles are a joke.

To YOU.

Never know writing a song called 'if you seek amy' could make u an icon.

You should get out more.

I have NEVER heared anyone refer to Britney as influential ... I don't know any artist who says that. I think you're giving her more credit than she's due. Britney is no major innovator. She did have potential at one point, but her attitude towards her whole career in the last 5-6 years, no one is taking britney seriously. Alot of people forget how media driven Britneys career was. She's a pop icon, but it stops about there. Influence and innovation. No

I'm not even a Whitney fan at all but what Whitney was to singers..Mike was to entertainers. I mean..to even put Whitney in the same sentence as Britney is a complete insult. I seen an article the other day that said.."Whitney Houston is your favorite singers favorite singer" ..which is TRUE. Again,singers aspire to sing like Whitney. Entertainers aspire to be like MJ.

:lmao: a complete insult? Whitney was to singers what Britney Spears is to dancers... they're all in the same industry seeking the same awards and goals... the only difference is Whitney had a voice and Britney had.. something else.. either way they both have hit songs... and both were mere dolls of the industry...

JIVE uses Brit-Brit to sing

Clive used Whitney to sing

You are nothing but a snob. So damned blinded like the right winged assholes in politics today. There is a big difference between the way Whitney and Britney SANG. SINGING was Whitney's forte...Britney just moves her lips and lets out puke. So please come here with a REAL comparison.

I wasn't talking about vocal ability tool... i was referring to career. they both were dolls of the industry

So Janet was a HORRIBLE dancer because she didn't choreograph any of her material. :rolleyes:

Janet is the most talented female of the industry... she wrote, produced, and had CONTROL of her career... Whitney was given music from talented writers and was told to sing it a certain way.

everyone has a choreographer... so u can sit down

i agree.

Alot of truth in that. You could say their best musical years were behind them even when they were alive. Whitney clearly couldnt sing or perform near her musical peak anymore. And every performance was ruining her legacy and a further example of a star fallen from grace.

MJ though who knows really he was about to go on a huge tour that he said would be his last big one. Maybe he would have been amazing a last hurrah. Maybe it would have been a disappointing look at a star past his performing peak as well. Either way it is safe to say their best stuff was behind them, out of the 2 I would have given MJ more credit for doing something more if he had lived. Just because he is more creative and more hands on musically in more ways than Whitney was. Maybe he would have written songs for other people that would have been great.

As for Britney Spears i have no clue what some people are smoking in here but seriously. that girl is a pure manufactured, marketed puppet. She cannot sing and never could. Whitney may not have written her own music but having a voice that was at one point more valuable than anything is an actual gift. A one of a kind voice is just as musically relevant as a great musician. A amazing guitarist, or piano player, or concert violinist. Whitneys voice was an instrument. And she was masterful with it. Yes she destroyed it with drug abuse just like a guitarist could have smashed his guitar on a bender but she HAD it. Britney never had it.

i was focusing more on Whitney... MJ's Invincible album was on point (IMO) and MJ knew his era was over.. which is why he wanted to tour one more time

Whitney wasn't manufactured or marketed? :lmao: really??? really? just because someone had these powerful, loud vocals doesn't mean they can't be manufactured :blink:

One of a kind voice makes a great musician? much like a wonderfully tuned piano makes a great music... both are manufactured

because of the poster(s) age, they refuses to think you're right

Her producers made Blackout what it was. She cannot sing we ALL know this, she was barely present for Blackout, they had to make videos without her, she was at the height of her crazy. Any white girl coulda been put in that studio and read the lyrics off lyric sheets.

Her father had to manage her life, her producers had to manage her career. No ones arguing she wasnt successful and I think some of the Blackout songs are hot. But that is because of the production. I give the credit where it is due. It had hot producers doing hot things. And she should thank god everyday between pills that her family and producers kept her rolling in cash while she was crazy as hell or she coulda died early cause it sure seemed like she was on that path.

Her producers made Blackout what it was. She cannot sing we ALL know this, she was barely present for Blackout, they had to make videos without her, she was at the height of her crazy. Any white girl coulda been put in that studio and read the lyrics off lyric sheets.

Her father had to manage her life, her producers had to manage her career. No ones arguing she wasnt successful and I think some of the Blackout songs are hot. But that is because of the production. I give the credit where it is due. It had hot producers doing hot things. And she should thank god everyday between pills that her family and producers kept her rolling in cash while she was crazy as hell or she coulda died early cause it sure seemed like she was on that path.

It was britney who CHOOSE the producers and CHOOSE the sound that SHE wanted. Her label didnt want her going into that direction of music and didnt support it, and britney herself funded the whole project. Yes the producers did a lot of work, but britney had A LOT of imput in that album and even the PRODUCERS have said that.

It was britney who CHOOSE the producers and CHOOSE the sound that SHE wanted. Her label didnt want her going into that direction of music and didnt support it, and britney herself funded the whole project. Yes the producers did a lot of work, but britney had A LOT of imput in that album and even the PRODUCERS have said that.

She has Money dahling , Money ... Anyone with alot of money can make an album, and when you're Britney Spears, you can hire the best

I have NEVER heared anyone refer to Britney as influential ... I don't know any artist who says that. I think you're giving her more credit than she's due. Britney is no major innovator. She did have potential at one point, but her attitude towards her whole career in the last 5-6 years, no one is taking britney seriously. Alot of people forget how media driven Britneys career was. She's a pop icon, but it stops about there. Influence and innovation. No

Exactly. Janet was going strong in britneys prime and is still performance and image wise still doing better.

How can one consider britney influencial when the real original is still slaying. It would different if janet had retired.

Big whooptiddy muthafucking doo

:lmao: a complete insult? Whitney was to singers what Britney Spears is to dancers... they're all in the same industry seeking the same awards and goals... the only difference is Whitney had a voice and Britney had.. something else.. either way they both have hit songs... and both were mere dolls of the industry...

JIVE uses Brit-Brit to sing

Clive used Whitney to sing

I wasn't talking about vocal ability tool... i was referring to career. they both were dolls of the industry

Janet is the most talented female of the industry... she wrote, produced, and had CONTROL of her career... Whitney was given music from talented writers and was told to sing it a certain way.

everyone has a choreographer... so u can sit down

Janet also had song written for he.... And like Whitney, she delivered and made it her own. There's NOBODY like her. You can't say the same about Britney. You see Britney, and she's done NOTHING you haven't seen before but amaze people who are ok with mediocre copycats.

I'm sure my mother and father generation said the same thing when Elvis, beetles, and all the other greats died in the 60s & 70s and prior

Get off ur high horses people... MJ and Whitney haven't made quality music since the 90s..

Whitney made music? I thought she she sung it like Britney Spears :umm:

For once, and I know this may be hard for you, but STFU.

You didn't like her, we get it, but at the very least, show some respect or get out. It's the same bullshit you did with Michael and it's the same stupid bullshit you did with Amy Winehouse. Just STFU before you make me do something I may or may not regret. But to be frank, I don't have much tolerance for your antagonism right now.

Archived