Iggy Azalea....

Bailey

I love the album.....I can't stop playing it...."Just Askin" "Work" "Fancy" "Fuck Love" "Bounce" "Change Your Life" "Black Widow"

:w00t:

Of course I love those, but "Goddess", "New Bitch", "Walk The Line", "100" and "Don't Need Yall" are my bops!! "Lady Patra" makes me wanna drop it low and pick it up!!

:w00t:

Of course I love those, but "Goddess", "New Bitch", "Walk The Line", "100" and "Don't Need Yall" are my bops!! "Lady Patra" makes me wanna drop it low and pick it up!!

i only named 4 songs I have to get off those to really hear the rest

I much prefer her mixtape stuff, but there are some really good hooks on her album.

I don't take issue with her accent because I can't stand Australian hip-hop. It sounds ridiculous and it's hard to tell one Aussie rapper from the next over here. Singers nearly always sing in American dialect no matter where they're from because it sounds better. I don't have a problem with rappers doing the same. Iggy might sound cartoonish, but trust me, you don't want the alternative.

In saying that, she sounds too forced. Like a non-English-speaking outsider's imitation of rap or something. And her lyrics could stand to be a lot wittier.

• Upvote 1

The production is what I find so strong about it, the hooks are hard and they work. I question whether or not this same "act" would have worked with someone of color, let's face it she's a female Eminem in some ways, and I do catch his rapping sound style in some of her verses. I don't like the lyrical content based on the ideas of fuck it and party but it's kinda fun in a juvenile way, but in the end the music is what really got me, the production on "Bounce" is out there, it reminds me of "Throb" just updated.

what I do find at issue here though, is I cannot recall a White female MC at this level of success and we're not talking about singers, so much as we are examining rappers, it's more akin to how they live, it doesn't sound very sophisticated, nothing reflective, it's well, in a word, ratchet. To some degree I believe it is vocal blackface, and if they don't get her ready for talking to the media, she's gonna be at least a disappointment, Nicki crazy ass lived up to the stage image in interviews.

Doesn't make a case for him. Iggy could have grown up dirt poor, you'd still have the same opinion because she's white and from Australia. It's because he's black that it's accepted for him to act like a "rapper." Marshall Mathers grew up under much more volatile conditions in Detroit yet he faced an uphill battle to be taken seriously.

I'm not comparing him to Iggy and I'm not really speaking on Iggy's talent at all. But if Iggy was black this topic would not even be mentioned.

If she was black do you think she would be as successful in the time frame that it took? I'm not arguing just asking. Do you think being the token white girl helped or hindered?

IGGY:

"We get so caught up, especially in rap, with what's authentic, and I wish people would think more about what the f- that even means," says
Azalea, 24.

One critic asked "Why didn't you talk about more Australian things?"-  "I don't understand why I'm supposed to write a song
about living in the outback and riding a kangaroo to be authentic."

She basically dissed her own country.

One critic asked "Why didn't you talk about more Australian things?"-  "I don't understand why I'm supposed to write a song

about living in the outback and riding a kangaroo to be authentic."

I absolutely agree with her. Most of "The New Classic" is about her working towards her career, progressing in life, relationships, independence, and having a good time - things people around the world can relate to, especially those who listen to mainstream music. She doesn't need to be the cultural ambassador of Australia or include native Australian music to be authentic.

She's white. And she raps with a Southern accent. That rubs some of you the wrong way. I get it. 

• Upvote 1

I much prefer her mixtape stuff, but there are some really good hooks on her album.

I don't take issue with her accent because I can't stand Australian hip-hop. It sounds ridiculous and it's hard to tell one Aussie rapper from the next over here. Singers nearly always sing in American dialect no matter where they're from because it sounds better. I don't have a problem with rappers doing the same. Iggy might sound cartoonish, but trust me, you don't want the alternative.

In saying that, she sounds too forced. Like a non-English-speaking outsider's imitation of rap or something. And her lyrics could stand to be a lot wittier.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with wrestling but she's the John Cena of rap