#NoSl333p (video + making of on 1st page)

janet.1814

As the old saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. And so it is in pop, a world where the balancing act between capitalising on a hot streak and taking some time away to rebuild your legacy is a difficult one to execute. It’s been seven years since Janet Jackson’s 2008 album Discipline failed to set the world alight, an album that followed two more relative flops blighted by the now infamous Super Bowl ‘wardrobe malfunction’ that essentially ended her love affair with US radio (many stations refused to playlist her singles). A 2009 greatest hits collection briefly saw her step back into the limelight but it was generally assumed that she had all but retired from a music industry that had snubbed her. So while rumours constantly percolated regarding a comeback, it was made official on 16 May when a short video of a studio set-up narrated by Janet’s soft purr appeared online announcing “new music; new world tour; a new movement”. Cue a social media meltdown.

So why the continued excitement? Well, regardless of sales figures and radio plays, Janet Jackson is very much still Janet Jackson. The woman who – alongside producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis - crafted at least four incredible albums in the 80s and 90s and who helped reshape the performance of pop music for the last three decades. It also helps that elements of her back catalogue – the futuristic R&B of The Velvet Rope’s Empty and the slowburn sex jams of 1993’s Janet – have helped nurture a new wave of modern R&B singers ranging from How To Dress Well to Kelela to FKA twigs to Solange to Blood Orange. It also helped that from the start it was made clear that a new Janet Jackson album also meant the return of Jam and Lewis whose presence was missed on Discipline and who’s inclusion is a definite sign that this comeback isn’t just to facilitate a money-making tour (although one has been announced already).

Which brings us to No Sleeep. While the general consensus among pop stars nowadays is that all singles must be at least 124 BPM, Janet’s always done things slightly differently. In 1993 the Janet album was launched with the laid-back That’s The Way Love Goes, while follow up The Velvet Rope was ushered in by the relatively low-key Got ‘Til It’s Gone. As it is with this new album. Opening with a sample of pouring rain and distant thunder, the first word you hear is “plush” which is the perfect word to describe the sort of low-slung, slowly unfurling jam Janet was always able to perfect but that had more recently got pushed aside for almost embarrassingly graphic elongated moans. On first listen it seems to be missing any discernible hooks, but slowly the chorus starts to dig its claws in, while the sudden vocal shift from soft coo to full-bodied yearning in the middle eight is a hairs on the back of the neck moment. Plus any song that manages to incorporate the phrase “fait accompli” into its chorus is on to something. As a grand return it’s one that seems to want to slink in almost unannounced, but that also simultaneously leaves it open for a big banger to follow.

What do you make of her return? Take a listen and let us know in the comments.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/22/janet-jackson-new-single-no-sleeep

• Upvote 1

I just woke up automatically only 5hrs of sleep!!!! Do y'all hear those vocals?!!! I say bitch do y'all hear those vocals! The background vocals and everything sounds so fresh!!! Sounds like nothing on the radio! I love it!!!!!!!!! Yasss!!!

• Upvote 1

The smooth and sexy R&B ballad sounds like the anthem lovers living in the northern hemisphere will be playing in the bedroom this upcoming summer when they aren’t able to sleep because of the hot temperatures. That’s right boys and girls, Ms. Janet has served us with yet another flawless baby-making song.

“A vision rolling round in my head / I’m loving what you’re doing to me”, coos the legendary chanteuse of 49 years of age in the chorus of her new single “No Sleep”.

The track is the official lead single from Janet Jackson’s eleventh studio album that will be released later in 2015 via her very own label Rhythm Nation Records.

http://www.directlyrics.com/world-premiere-janet-jackson-no-sleep-full-audio-review-news.html

its so gorgeous. it gets better each time I listen to it. much respect to Janet for sticking to what she does best and not trying to follow or chase trends. come through integrity. no twerking or pussy popping or using more relevant stars to try and garner attention and views.

• Upvote 1

48 hours in love
It oughta be a weekend marathon
So you better get ready, my king
Cause I'ma be the queen of insomnia
Stay wide awake
For every moment we spend together
Cause every second you're awake
Feels like forever

ezgif.com-crop00180.gif

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssss, Janet!

This is my JAM!

Help me out with the lyrics y'all. There's one part in the bridge can't get. LOL!

"No Sleeep"

Plush

Yeah
Come on

[Chorus]
You missing me
I’m missing you
Whenever we meet
We ain’t gonna get no sleep
I can’t wait to be
Together with you
It’s fait accompli