Honestly, how do you feel about Janet not saying a single word or making even one appearance on an album release week?

janetfan87

I think actions speak to words, in Janet's case she said this album is for the fans, and fans will come out and buy and support her as we have over the years. Since its for the fans, she doesn't really need to promote it. It must be a very liberating feeling to release an album without the traditional confines of a record label and being forced to promote. Besides with the state of the music industry, an artists' real money is in touring anyway

• Upvote 3

I've already seen Janet's show and now that I have the album the era is pretty much over for me. It'd be nice to have something extra to look forward to but it's been clear from early on that this release wasn't going to be accompanied by traditional promotion. I'm just happy that I got to receive all Her blessings in person and to now have a new album to become acquainted with; anything beyond that is ultimately inessential for me.

• Upvote 1

I actually love it. It's a fresh approach - she's letting the music speak for itself, and she's created an air of mystery and anticipation around her and the entire project.  

Also, I think that her going out on tour BEFORE her album was even out was brilliant as well. It's kept a buzz around her. And now with all the great reviews coming in, people are even more curious.  

For her to sell $100k+ with NO TV or print promotion and no Hot 100 presence is truly amazing.  Think about that- in her prime with the release of Velvet Rope, she only sold like 161k or something week one, and she promoted the hell outa that. Yes, AFY sold over 600k, but she also had a #1 single on the Hot 100 and great dance video on MTV when they still played videos.  

I love what she's doing - she comes across as cool and confident in what she's offering up to the public.  

Edited by JJATL
  • Upvote 5

There's a part of me that's very anxious to see her but an even bigger part of me that's okay with it. Everything about this era just feels different. If this was years ago, I'd be really mad to have not seen her yet but I'm digging her whole approach this time around. It's like she evolved from doing what was expected and did her own thing and maybe because I'm going through my own mini-evolution and things are changing for me, I see it differently.  Or it might just be because we're really the same person. 

Edited by Angela
  • Upvote 9

Eh. I want her to do a couple of interviews and public appearances. I miss hearing her voice and laughter. I want to hear her thoughts and inspiration behind this album. I wanna know where she's at in life, From her lips.

If she wants to control the content of the interviews and do these things on her own terms, She can always do her own little documentaries/interviews and post them herself on her website.

I love just love her so much. I want performances too.

• Upvote 1

There's a part of me that's very anxious to see her but an even bigger part of me that's okay with it. Everything about this era just feels different. If this was years ago, I'd be really mad to have not seen her yet but I'm digging her whole approach this time around. It's like she evolved from doing what was expected and did her own thing and maybe because I'm going through my own mini-evolution and things are changing for me, I see it differently.  Or it might just be because we're really the same person.

:mellow:

Im fine with it, I already know what the interviews would be like and they would be intrusive to her private married life. I respect that she's private, I often laugh to myself thinking that the one person I idolize in fame is also one of the most private relucatant famous people. Imagine being a die hard Kim Kardashian fan? You wouldn't miss much.

Its like having an opening act, she doesn't need one, she doesn't need to do the promo nor performances. Im perfectly fine with just the album and tour, which honestly is more than I thought we would get

I'm fine w/ it I'm just enjoying the album. I rode for Janet all throughout the Damita Jo era to Discipline....never turned my back on her when so many fans were jumping ship left and right. So it feels even more satisfying for me now that she's receiving all this acclaim and success w/ Unbreakable. I always knew she would be back on top and fabulous. 

Honestly? It's great that we got a new album, but she could have kept all of it. The whole "era" (and I use that term loosely) has been quite underwhelming.

There's so much to be said. #ConversationsOnPlanetJanet

I disagree, Ive been to the show, and its anything but underwhelming, she's gotten a lot of her casual fans back on board, I was walking out after the show on the busy downtown street and two white chicks were in front of me, and I asked did you ladies just come from the Janet show? and they were like hell yea! and she rocked. I honestly hadn't seen that in awhile casual fans saying they loved janet

Now as for music, the album has gotten rave reviews I think we can all agree on that now, she gave us new music and a new tour. considering where we were just 5 months ago, I'll take it ! :coffee:

She's created an interest in her and excitement outside of her core that she hasn't had in a while. I've witnessed several people who were never really fans buy the album and explore her catalog. One guy on Twitter knew a fews song but didn't really know her music. He listened to Unbreakable and loved it. He then listened to TVR and wound up buying a ticket.