"Britney's Live Shows Slammed"

SonofBaldwin

Britney's 'lifeless' performances slammed

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/88756/watch-britney-spears-perform-femme-fatale-live/

amplifier-240276234-1301324291.jpg?ymDYjxEDLuBaDtzi

Watch 'Britney Spears' 'Perform' 'Femme Fatale' 'Live'

If you've appropriately adjusted your expectations for what a "Britney Spears performance" looks like in 2011, the pop star's first duo of "performances" since her massive Circus tour wrapped in 2009 won't leave you baffled.

There's no question Spears hasn't been literally In the Zone since the album of the same name came out in 2003. The last time anyone saw her dance with any conviction was 2004 (her "Do Somethin' " video, which was shot after the knee injury that's often blamed for her later lackluster moves). The last time she turned her mic on at a live performance was probably the great wardrobe malfunction of March 2009. But everyone really, really wants to believe Britney can still turn it out. Why? Because at the top of her game, Spears really was a triple threat -- a game-changer, a superstar, a slave for U.

Unfortunately, the collective positive thoughts of Britney Nation aren't going to be enough to return the fire to Spears' eyes. Pour out a little strawberry Frappuccino, everyone: Britney Spears' career as a live performer has a tombstone that reads 1999-2004.*

As we pointed out when Spears' video for "Hold It Against Me" arrived, her dancing has become lifeless and stiff, and she no longer glares into the camera with what was once a ferociously determined gaze. It's like she's not there at all. What's to blame? Nobody but Spears knows the answer, but something certainly changed for Britney following her very public meltdown, which spanned nearly three years, from 2005 to 2008.

Spears' two gigs this weekend weren't nightmares, but they require a lot of scare quotes: "live" "performances." Friday night at Las Vegas' Rain nightclub in the Palms resort, Spears did three tracks from Femme Fatale: first two singles "Hold It Against Me" and "Till the World Ends," and "Big Fat Bass," an oddball Will.i.am-produced concoction that's the most different-sounding track on the disc. The set was recorded by MTV for a special that will be broadcast this week to help promote the album -- which, as The Amp was hoping, is spectacular.

Sunday afternoon she performed the exact same trio of songs for Good Morning America (the segment will air tomorrow morning to coincide with her release day). Both events were heavy on hair tossing, walking, and half-hearted lip-synching. They were light on live singing, dancing, eye contact, and other traditional elements of live performances. Especially Britney's prime live performances.

:coffee:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Janet don't dance as hard as she used to its better than britneys but still equally disappointing to me.

On tour she has but only a bit, but i bet Janet can still kill a single song in promo mode. If she can kill so excited at 40 she can kill it at 44.

Janet gives us more attitude and energy in the click of her fingers than britney does on her whole body.

On tour she has but only a bit, but i bet Janet can still kill a single song in promo mode. If she can kill so excited at 40 she can kill it at 44.

Janet gives us more attitude and energy in the click of her fingers than britney does on her whole body.

Oh yeah like I said Janet is wayyyyy ahead of her performance wise. But she doesn't dance hard anymore...

Its odd that during the span of 3 albums their hasn't been any iconic dance routines... to me thats lazy because I know where Janet has been... I like to see people dance hard. Usher disappoints me too and I love them both... but the only people who give me what I really want dance wise right now is Neyo, Chris Brown and Ciara.

I don't wanna hear she has nothing to prove bullshit either its about whats going on NOW.

Oh yeah like I said Janet is wayyyyy ahead of her performance wise. But she doesn't dance hard anymore...

Its odd that during the span of 3 albums their hasn't been any iconic dance routines... to me thats lazy because I know where Janet has been... I like to see people dance hard. Usher disappoints me too and I love them both... but the only people who give me what I really want dance wise right now is Neyo, Chris Brown and Ciara.

I don't wanna hear she has nothing to prove bullshit either its about whats going on NOW.

why does Janet have to dance as hard, or create iconic moves??? albums dont sell as much as b4, so y put in the effort?

who does have iconic dance routines? Neyo??? NO....Chris Brown????No....Ciara???? NO.....so where does dancing hard really get u????

even when Janet didn't dance (American Idol) her performance still went #1 on iTunes which shows that she is just as entertaining when she goes hard as when she doesnt....... hell not even Michael Jackson and Madonna create iconic routines anymore -_-

Archived