"SO CALLED SINGER": Best vocal performance from a singer who's vocal talent is questionable (ROUND 1)

LyricalLesson

I'm going to post a series of artists who aren't exactly considered 'great talents' by most -- I will then throw my opinion in about which single recording in their catalog I deem 'the best vocal'...by all means, post yours as well. Maybe we'll open each others' eyes to material we've never heard and convince us that the artist can indeed sing...maybe.

>_< Let's start with Britney Spears.

So Called Singer:

BRITNEY SPEARS

Best Vocal Performance:

"Let Go"

Unreleased (BLACKout Era)

I have to admit, I was actually impressed when I heard this. It's not a "perfect" vocal, but it's an un-protooled/un-autotuned demo recording...coming from Britney Spears. The bulk of her catalog is heavily edited, so hearing this was a breath of fresh air. It's pleasant. She shows smooth, vulnerable vocals. She throws some strength in there, a few runs and a pretty falsetto. Before "Let Go", I actually felt like either "Hit Me Baby One More Time", "Stronger" or "Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know" was her best vocal, but LG takes the cake for me. No smoke in mirrors, no big production for her to hide behind, no editing, just ONE VOICE in one take for the entire track. I'm still impressed 5 years later.

Britney has decent vocals actually. However, her genre of music (dance pop) doesn't really require strong vocals. Her voice is also very distinctive. For me, her best vocals were for "shadow", "stronger" and "Everytime".

-_-

:o :o :o Am I the only one that's never heard any of that before? Some of those snippets are...incredible. :umm: What happened to her voice as she got older? She was a promising vocalist as a youngin! This one little video completely smashes everything else that was posted :blink:

4,000th post :)

I think her vocals were actually pretty decent on her debut album. It had minimal auto tuning. Not sure what happened after that though, cuz she wasn't a horrible singer at all.

Her label wanted her to change her "style" of singing to a more breathy & nasal tone. Britney's natural voice is soulful & really country. So it didnt really fit the type of music she was singing at the time- Bubblegum pop.

Born To Make You Happy, From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart, and I Will Be There >>>> the rest

Let Go is nice. It's not perfect, but it seems like she doesn't know how to use her voice.

I pressed -1 on accident, sorry!

Archived