OBAMA ENDORSES SAME SEX MARRIAGES

lexus97

I'm a little confused by the comments here. People are saying he is now supporting gay marriage to get votes... but since 61% of America is against gay marriage that doesn't really make sense. Wouldn't he lose votes by saying this?

It's 50%... And the polls aren't always 100% accurate... It depends who they ask and the # of people..

complaining..... finding fault :whistle: regardless of his motive yeah its an election year but it's politics. the question imo should be if you believe him or is he just doing it for votes. :thumbup:

no hush it up! :wub:

He didn't make a promise... He just supports it.. There's a difference... I mean who didn't see this coming during his term(s) as President

I'm a little confused by the comments here. People are saying he is now supporting gay marriage to get votes... but since 61% of America is against gay marriage that doesn't really make sense. Wouldn't he lose votes by saying this?

I think he always supported gay marriage but he wanted to wait until his second term.. The white gays kept pressuring him not realizing that he was moving in that direction and wanted to make sure he got reelected first..

So much for "Obama only plays it safe" lol. And I highly doubt he would make a statement if he didn't truly believe in it... especially considering many people are against it. If anything, I can see it re-energizing those who already support him.

• Upvote 2

Mitt Romney reaffirms opposition to gay marriage

Mitt Romney reaffirmed his view that marriage is between "a man and a woman," offering a sharp contrast to President Obama who announced earlier today that he now backs the right of gay couples to marry.

Speaking to reporters after a campaign event in Oklahoma City, Romney said his position on same sex marriage is unchanged despite Obama's shift on the issue.

"I have the same view on marriage that I had when I was governor. I believe marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman," Romney said. "I have the same view I've had since, well, running for office."

Romney's campaign has been muted in its reaction to Obama's gay marriage shift. Aides to the presumptive nominee did not respond to requests for comment on how they see the issue playing in the 2012 campaign or whether Romney will use the issue to whip up support among social conservatives this fall.

But in a statement, Republican National Commitee chairman Reince Priebus suggested it would be an issue the party would focus on heading into November.

"While President Obama has played politics on this issue, the Republican Party and our presumptive nominee Mitt Romney have been clear," Priebus said. "We support maintaining marriage between one man and one woman and would oppose any attempts to change that."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mitt-romney-reaffirms-opposition-gay-marriage-210253937.html

----

Brang it. :filenails:

:blush:

But seriously, this just seems so convenient since the election is coming up. But it's still nice to see his views on the "issue".

To be truthfully honest, he's flipped flopped on the "issue" for years so it doesn't surprise me he's for it now due to the election coming up. I love how he suddenly cares about the gay/lesbo military members being able to marry along with those friends and family members. Where were they when he tried to use the Bible to define marriage. :coffee:

To be truthfully honest, he's flipped flopped on the "issue" for years so it doesn't surprise me he's for it now due to the election coming up. I love how he suddenly cares about the gay/lesbo military members being able to marry along with those friends and family members. Where were they when he tried to use the Bible to define marriage. :coffee:

Let'em know :filenails:

He flat out said marriage was between a man and a women throughout his campaign. He even said that shit at the LOGO network campaign stop. the only person who was pro gay marriage at that time was Hillary Clinton. I like barack and clearly he'll get my vote, but he has flip flop on numerous occasions. Don't get me started on them tax breaks for the wealthy. :rolleyes:

Yes, he has flip flopped on the issue. When he was a senator, he supported. When he was first elected, he only supported civil unions. The fact of the matter is he is taking a bigger risk switching to support marriage equality now instead of waiting after the election. Anyone who believed he didn't support marriage equality (including the pushy gay activists) just were not reading between the lines. I am proud of him for coming out in support now in stead of waiting until after the election. I just hope he and his team's conviction on this subject will not turn away bigots who support him on other issues but not this one.

Let'em know :filenails:

He flat out said marriage was between a man and a women throughout his campaign. He even said that shit at the LOGO network campaign stop. the only person who was pro gay marriage at that time was Hillary Clinton. I like barack and clearly he'll get my vote, but he has flip flop on numerous occasions. Don't get me started on them tax breaks for the wealthy. :rolleyes:

He didn't flip flop on the tax break, he compromised so that taxes for the middle class wouldn't go up..

Hillary had the same position as Obama on gay marriage..

Where New York Senator Hillary Clinton Stands On This Issue

According to the Pew Forum On Religion & Public Life: Religion & Politics Senator Hillary Clinton is against same sex marriages but she favors civil unions where the same sex couples have the same rights legally and privilege-wise as heterosexual married couples. She's against the constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. As for The Defense of Marriage Act, she wants the section repealed in the part where same sex marriage can't be recognized at the federal level.

Where Barack Obama Stands On This Issue

According to the campaign website of Barack Obama the Illinois Senator believes in civil unions where the couples have the same rights legally and privilege-wise as heterosexual couples. He is against a constitutional ban on same sex marriage and wants The Defense of Marriage Act repealed 100 per cent! According to his website, married heterosexual couples have more than 1100 federal legal rights and benefits, but he feels same sex couples in civil unions should have these, too. The Pew Forum has stated that Barack Obama's personal opinion of marriage is that it's between man and woman, but he still wants equality for gays and lesbians.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Hotslutboy. I mean, I love Barack...she's my gurl and all but.....it is election season. :whistle::umm:-_-

I will say i loved the Robin Roberts interview...or snippet of one....i saw. Great stuff. Historic and all but......the motive and timing is questionable. :whistle:

It's politics.. Everyone plays the game.. Every damn president plays the game for votes..

its going to be interesting to see if black (african american) christian fundamentalist and very influential preachers will pick "Bible" over race

They had one black preacher on CNN today and he said he doesn't support his decision and he will still vote for him and advise his church to do the same.

I think he always supported gay marriage but he wanted to wait until his second term.. The white gays kept pressuring him not realizing that he was moving in that direction and wanted to make sure he got reelected first..

It would of been a bad idea for him to "admit to it" back in 2008. With his support on Civil Unions and removal of the Don't Ask Don't Tell laws it was pretty obvious that he's been ok with gay marriage this whole time. Some folks just don't know how to be patient with Obama's slow but steady approach.

Yes, he has flip flopped on the issue. When he was a senator, he supported. When he was first elected, he only supported civil unions. The fact of the matter is he is taking a bigger risk switching to support marriage equality now instead of waiting after the election. Anyone who believed he didn't support marriage equality (including the pushy gay activists) just were not reading between the lines. I am proud of him for coming out in support now in stead of waiting until after the election. I just hope he and his team's conviction on this subject will not turn away bigots who support him on other issues but not this one.

:cheers:

They had one black preacher on CNN today and he said he doesn't support his decision and he will still vote for him and advise his church to do the same.

I believe that, come on now, we know given the two choices who do you think Blacks are going to vote for? It all comes down to what do you hate more gays or White Republicans.