R&B DIVAS show

jarrylf

that mariah shade makes her sound sour tho lol.

i laughed when lil mo was trying to get to beyonce level. thats delusional as fuck lol.

i love chante moore! she has to sing it's alright. imma melt.

It does, and the fact that we don't even know where it comes from...meanwhile Mariah treats her like she don't exist lol

OMG YES, she's too old and don't have enough talent (homegirl CAN sing) or global appeal do I think Beys overrated in every way, BUT she has her talents & appeal, and Mo's appeal is strictly urban & America....she don't have it like that, she should aim for Keyshia...thats more realistic

I LOVE that song, so damn good

Wassup with you all and "flops"???

Those chicks can out sing all those young bitches out today including your favorite that "Borrows" ...

I was pointing out that they don't quite have the 'hits' that Jarryl said they did. They had great songs but no hits.

And what? There's probably an amazing singer out there right now that can sing better than Whitney in her prime. But she would still be irrelevant. Amazing but irrelevant. But me and jarryl weren't talking about talent so that point you're trying to make is also irrelevant ;)

that mariah shade makes her sound sour tho lol.

i laughed when lil mo was trying to get to beyonce level. thats delusional as fuck lol.

i love chante moore! she has to sing it's alright. imma melt.

I think every human on earth who watched that part laughed ...I know I did. Like Bitch, you not even on Cassie's level at this point. :blink:

I was pointing out that they don't quite have the 'hits' that Jarryl said they did. They had great songs but no hits.

And what? There's probably an amazing singer out there right now that can sing better than Whitney in her prime. But she would still be irrelevant. Amazing but irrelevant. But me and jarryl weren't talking about talent so that point you're trying to make is also irrelevant ;)

All of them had hits on the R&B charts. That might not be enough for you but it works for them. And you're only calling them irrelevant because they don't appear on the pop charts.

Shawn you & I are very much on the same page of that, but the reason they get the title is because today not too many people know their names, does that automatically make the gals of today better than them in terms of anything other than relevance and money that the new girls get? No, but they get that name because of their status not their talent

Not too many YOUNG people know them but people in my age group still loves them.

Not too many YOUNG people know them but people in my age group still loves them.

I would say ppl of age of 20 and up know and love them. My twitter tl be full of 20 something year olds and they all were saying how much they loved each of the singers and remembering how some of their songs were their jams back in the day type shit.

All of them had hits on the R&B charts. That might not be enough for you but it works for them. And you're only calling them irrelevant because they don't appear on the pop charts.

Chantes highest on the R&B chart was #2 - her only song that hit the top 10.

Lil Mo's highest hit on that chart was #4 - her only song that hit the top 10. This does not include features.

I believe Nicci GIlbert outside of Brownstone is unsuccessful. Now I know you guys don't like to include group success to individual success so...yeah.

Faith may be a flop now but she was relevant at one point.

Syleena Johnson outside of All Falls Down - doesn't even have a top 10 hit of her own on the R&B chart. Kudos for her being Grammy nominated - that's if you think the Grammys were reputable.

Keke Wyatt - kudos for her for having #4 charting song on the R&B chart with Avant and a platinum album - that I didn't know. I've only ever known her as someone that stabbed her husband and was in a group with Destiny's Child before DC.

I don't know who else is on the show. So half the cast still aren't that / haven't ever been relevant on the R&B charts have they. Forgive me if I've missed any of their 'hits' out.

Side-note - I actually like some of these singers and have had their music for years

Chantes highest on the R&B chart was #2 - her only song that hit the top 10.

Lil Mo's highest hit on that chart was #4 - her only song that hit the top 10. This does not include features.

I believe Nicci GIlbert outside of Brownstone is unsuccessful. Now I know you guys don't like to include group success to individual success so...yeah.

Faith may be a flop now but she was relevant at one point.

Syleena Johnson outside of All Falls Down - doesn't even have a top 10 hit of her own on the R&B chart. Kudos for her being Grammy nominated - that's if you think the Grammys were reputable.

Keke Wyatt - kudos for her for having #4 charting song on the R&B chart with Avant and a platinum album - that I didn't know. I've only ever known her as someone that stabbed her husband and was in a group with Destiny's Child before DC.

I don't know who else is on the show. So half the cast still aren't that / haven't ever been relevant on the R&B charts have they. Forgive me if I've missed any of their 'hits' out.

Side-note - I actually like some of these singers and have had their music for years

To be fair now, Shawn didn't say #1's, he said hits and we all know a hit can be a hit without being #1 on a chart like majority of the women from both shows even without R&B #1's (Keke's has a R&B #1, that song with Avant from last year hit the top), on R&B radio they very much had life and most people knew them in their days, so without those hit's still they were relevant to their audiences (and no since Nicci has no solo albums or attempts, counting her group success is allowed because it can't be blended with anything but the group success)

BUT again, it's justifyable to call them flops because of their industry status right now

I felt the Michel'le could have been bigger than she was. He first album was like a prototype of what Mary J. brought to the table a few years later. But she waited 9 years to following up (when Death Row was a sinking ship at that point) and by then, people moved on.

• Upvote 1

Truth be told, the former girl group members had the most success by default because en vogue and xscape were big in the 90s and both groups had hits. Both Tasha and Dawn also sang lead. Brownstone had some jams, but they were not on the level of the other two groups. As a solo artist, Faith, Kelly, Angie and dare I say it.....Lil' Mo were successful in their time.

Truth be told, the former girl group members had the most success by default because en vogue and xscape were big in the 90s and both groups had hits. Both Tasha and Dawn also sang lead. Brownstone had some jams, but they were not on the level of the other two groups. As a solo artist, Faith, Kelly, Angie and dare I say it.....Lil' Mo were successful in their time.

But EV had/has no lead singers all 4 of them chicks sang the lead on at least 1 of their hits, Xscape "technically" doesn't have a lead singer but Tocha has a lead on almost every song they've done (Kandi don't, TIny & Tamika sho as hell don't LOL).

And yea your right about Faith, Kelly, Angie, &.yea weirdly Lil Mo (her features saved her lol) But yea these chicks all had a time where they were constantly on R&B radio and their videos were constantly on BET.

Gotta say Im shocked Syleena's song Guess What isn't technically a hit because that song was on the radio EVERY single morning, I HATED it so much lol

A lil R&B Divas L.A. history

In the Chante's Got A Man video, the gal who's man pushed her is Dawns former bandmate Terry Ellis, lookin FINE. But whats funny is I KNOW Terry & Chante are friends....so it makes the Dawn & Chante thing a lil mo interesting LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRnIPtB2SyY

i wont' be able to go see chante today. friend bailed. :(

she's here often though, sf native :D

Oh wow sorry to hear that, and good luck with next time.

But EV had/has no lead singers all 4 of them chicks sang the lead on at least 1 of their hits, Xscape "technically" doesn't have a lead singer but Tocha has a lead on almost every song they've done (Kandi don't, TIny & Tamika sho as hell don't LOL).

You're correct, neither xscape or en vogue had official lead singers. What i should have said was that Tocha and Dawn were both featured heavily on many of their groups most popular tracks. Dawn's voice was so known and liked within en vogue that folks always thought she would go solo and I know I kinda wanted her to. She slayed "don't let go".

You're correct, neither xscape or en vogue had official lead singers. What i should have said was that Tocha and Dawn were both featured heavily on many of their groups most popular tracks. Dawn's voice was so known and liked within en vogue that folks always thought she would go solo and I know I kinda wanted her to. She slayed "don't let go".

Thats very true, and it's why EV works for me (they are in fact my favorite group ON THE PLANET) because each of their voices blended so well yet also were unique, powerful and had range. Like thats why if you count Dawn's albums with EV, you HAVE to count EV3 (the album she walked out on) because although they redid all of her leads, because them harmonies are still 4 women, and you can hear Dawn CLEAR LOL, the 1st album they did without her was Masterpiece Theater and it showed, but yea like you said Dawn did have a solo on majority of their hits. and she's sung leads on their biggest hits (except Hold On) but all 4 of them did that throughout the albums but Dawn happend to do it for more of the singles.

Really does suck it didnt work out for them, they had what it took in terms of the look the souund (NO other group compares vocally), dancing, songwritting, it was the management that killed their careers sadly.

I always thought Tocha was the lead singer of Xscape and Kandi was like the 2nd lead singer ..kinda like how Beyonce was the lead and Kelly was the 2nd lead.

I did too, until Kandi shut that down in a interview lol, they said "we heard you had a falling out with your lead singer" and she snapped back "We have no lead singer, 1 member thought she was so she put herself on every track, but we all sang leads on our songs...." Like damn lol.

To be fair now, Shawn didn't say #1's, he said hits and we all know a hit can be a hit without being #1 on a chart like majority of the women from both shows even without R&B #1's (Keke's has a R&B #1, that song with Avant from last year hit the top), on R&B radio they very much had life and most people knew them in their days, so without those hit's still they were relevant to their audiences (and no since Nicci has no solo albums or attempts, counting her group success is allowed because it can't be blended with anything but the group success)

BUT again, it's justifyable to call them flops because of their industry status right now

So I guess Run From The Charts was a hit -_-

Tbh I said from the beginning that my comments about them being flops were jokes and I just like to shade. Are they flops? Yes. Do I care? No.:lol:

So I guess Run From The Charts was a hit -_-

Tbh I said from the beginning that my comments about them being flops were jokes and I just like to shade. Are they flops? Yes. Do I care? No. :lol:

The hell? Noooo....because it had no radio life, Im talking about songs that went top 10's on charts or even lower, they had a very strong radio life, Run to the flops had no radio life, it had a small video life, but it wasn't all over the radio, Best Thing I never had is more like it, R&B Radio was treating that & Party like they were good LOFL just playin (well kinda). But those songs did have a R&B radio life

The hell? Noooo....because it had no radio life, Im talking about songs that went top 10's on charts or even lower, they had a very strong radio life, Run to the flops had no radio life, it had a small video life, but it wasn't all over the radio, Best Thing I never had is more like it, R&B Radio was treating that & Party like they were good LOFL just playin (well kinda). But those songs did have a R&B radio life

So Party and the other one were hits according to your argument?

• 2 weeks later...