So tell me ...WHAT IMPACT HAVE THEY MADE..??

janetDAYZ

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But when ppl rival you...you usually have your cards aligned..ready to play. So resort back to what we're use to and FIRE off!

We're all still waiting .. :filenails:

I always go first. So I figured I'd be polite and allow ladies first. :thumbup:

Did The Supremes ever have a song go #1 in over 30 countries? B)

Will The Spice Girls ever be able to come for the cultral impact, legacy, popularity, success of THE quintessential girl group?

*waits*

They can't? That's too bad... :(

Diana, Mary, and Florence remain unbothered. :yep:

l6osi8h7847a877i.jpg

B)

Did The Supremes ever have a song go #1 in over 30 countries? B)

Will The Spice Girls ever be able to come for the cultral impact, legacy, popularity, success of THE quintessential girl group?

*waits*

l6osi8h7847a877i.jpg

B)

*waits*

l6osi8h7847a877i.jpg

B)

Did the Supremes ever sell out 17 dates in 38 seconds? B)

The cultural impact of The Supremes extend beyond "black girl groups"...and it's silly to try to box them in to just that.

They broke racial barriers at a time when racial tension were at it's highest...when you had African Americans being killed (most notably Martin Luther King and Malcolm X) fighting for civil rights. Do you even comprehend the magnitude of black female group being biggest act WORLDWIDE 2nd ONLY to the Beatles meant at a time like that?

At a time when it was a "big deal" to even see an African American on television...at all... They helped paved the way (not exclusively by themselves, before you misunderstand) and opened the doors for African Americans in entertainment period...The door opened just a little bit further because of them (and others) for others to get through and be judged less by their race and more so by what they offered as artists.

How can you honestly compare The Spice Girls to that? HONESTLY... And I'm probably not even doing a good job explaining the magnitude of what their success meant.

Again, I'm not refuting The Spice Girls success...I'm saying it's incomparable to The Supremes.

Also, I just read that Motown didn't even begin paying for certifications for the Supremes until 1980 and only one album (a greatest hits album) has gotten an official cert from the RIAA. A group that was 2nd only to The Beatles in success (WORLDWIDE)...that's shameful. We have estimates though...and those estimate still dominate the figures you provided for The Spice Girls. Again, considering the time of their prime...that is AMAZING, and truly incomparable.

The legacy of The Supremes is that of the blueprint for all girl groups that followed, and the biggest female act EVER. Again, incomparable...

Of course people "still talk" about The Spice Girls, especially those our age..because they were from our generation. 30 or 40 years from now...they won't be. There's a reason The Supremes and other older acts are among the few still talked about even today...

yes every thing you have said is "at that time", they were successful. however most of the barriers were broken down for them already, as you mentioned already. Not saying that they didnt pave some way, but the work was already done by artists way before them.

I will stand on my stance that they are not the blueprints for girl groups today. They were about having one lead member and 2 back ups and dressing up the same and not having their own identity as individuals. Didnt it get to point were they were called Diana Ross and the Supremes? The only girl group that I can think that fits this mold is DC. I will say however that TLC had more of a cultural impact than DC...lets be real they rode on TLC's coat tails.

Again I will say that IF they sold 80 million, how many albums have they put out? I will answer that for you...according to wiki...they have 29 studio albums, 4 live albums, and 27 compilation albums....so that is 60 albums at 80 million

whereas the Spice Girls have only 3, if you include the greatest hits-4 at 75 million.

Did the Supremes ever sell out 17 dates in 38 seconds? B)

*waits*

l6osi8h7847a877i.jpg

B)

:)

*waits*

l6osi8h7847a877i.jpg

B)

and yet anyone who you ask as the biggest girl group will always be the Spice Girls...heck TLC and DC would get mentioned before the Supremes

Archived