So tell me ...WHAT IMPACT HAVE THEY MADE..??

janetDAYZ

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you fired back ...but with NO BULLETS ...so ...

I'm still waiting ... you, Son of a Gun :excited:

I told you I'm not here for girls dressing like dikes and singing about begging for dick. They didn't have much of an impact like DC did. Let's just be honest. They were 3 girls, 2 were decent singers and one was a so-so rapper. They had great songwriters write and produce their material for them.

I told you I'm not here for girls dressing like dikes and singing about begging for dick. They didn't have much of an impact like DC did. Let's just be honest. They were 3 girls, 2 were decent singers and one was a so-so rapper. They had great songwriters write and produce their material for them.

What impact did they have is the question? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

yes every thing you have said is "at that time", they were successful. however most of the barriers were broken down for them already, as you mentioned already. Not saying that they didnt pave some way, but the work was already done by artists way before them.

I will stand on my stance that they are not the blueprints for girl groups today. They were about having one lead member and 2 back ups and dressing up the same and not having their own identity as individuals. Didnt it get to point were they were called Diana Ross and the Supremes? The only girl group that I can think that fits this mold is DC. I will say however that TLC had more of a cultural impact than DC...lets be real they rode on TLC's coat tails.

Again I will say that IF they sold 80 million, how many albums have they put out? I will answer that for you...according to wiki...they have 29 studio albums, 4 live albums, and 27 compilation albums....so that is 60 albums at 80 million

whereas the Spice Girls have only 3, if you include the greatest hits-4 at 75 million.

Again, they were out at time when African American's were being killed defending their basic human rights. Again, at a time when seeing a "colored person" on TV was BIG DEAL...because it simply didn't happen.

In midst of all of that they STILL manage to be the SECOND BIGGEST ACT OF WORLDWIDE after The Beatles. You have to truly wrap your mind around that to understand the magnitude of it and the effect it had on African Americans in entertainment and on society in general...incomparable to a bubblegum act that was only successful for two years.

The blueprint and model the found success with (be it image, promotion, music) has been repeated in some for or another since then. They are THE quintessential TRUE biggest female group of all time.

The Beatles had many albums and compilations released...and are listed as the biggest selling act in music with 1 billion records sold. Yet they only have ONE album (during their time together) inside the 20 million and above club. Does that make them any less prolific?

And again, according to what I read The Supremes only have ONE album (a greatest hits album released in 1974 AFTER Diana had left the group) that Motown has paid to get certified. You never know, may be they did have an album reach the 10, 15, or possibly even 20 million mark. We'll never know as there are no official sales.

As I said, before no matter how you try to approach the argument, you simply can't compare a bubblegum act that was only popular for two years to The Supremes. It's silly...

As I said, before no matter how you try to approach the argument, you simply can't compare a bubblegum act that was only popular for two years to The Supremes. It's silly...

Yet you've been sitting in here for the past couple of hours doing just that....

27y0ml0_jpg-vi.gif

and yet anyone who you ask as the biggest girl group will always be the Spice Girls...heck TLC and DC would get mentioned before the Supremes

In our age demo...you'd get a mix of Spice Girls, TLC, DC, and The Supremes. Outside the US, you'd probably get more people saying Spices Girls (but only in our age demo)

The older generation will more than likely say The Supremes..and those younger than us would probably say DC or TLC as The Spice Girls were irrelevant before most of them reached 10.

Yet you've been sitting in here for the past couple of hours doing just that....

27y0ml0_jpg-vi.gif

No I haven't. :mellow:

I've been saying they are incomparable.

Who compares a fad that lasted two years to a LEGENDARY group that is the blueprint for almost every female group that followed them. :mellow: :mellow:

27y0ml0_jpg-vi.gif

Who compares a fad that lasted two years to a LEGENDARY group that is the blueprint for almost every female group that followed them. :mellow: :mellow:

That's what you think...

um...can we not compare The Spice Girls to the Supremes? I guess next we should compare Justin Bieber to James Brown... >_<

Trust me when I tell you, their are members on this board who live for the biebs, and will swear he had just as much impact. :rolleyes:

They don't get it. -_-

Archived