So tell me ...WHAT IMPACT HAVE THEY MADE..??

janetDAYZ

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC has had more of a cultural impact than TLC????

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yes. I'm not here for bitches begging for dick and wearing condoms in videos and calling it class. No ma'am pam. The Board of Health would not approve. 68.gif

Obviously enough to make Motown the premiere record label of the 60s and early 70s.

All the male groups on Motown compared to the Beatles

Supremes really didn't have any other female competition.

Moving on to the 80's..

New Edition compared to New Kids on the Block

All those little black boy groups compared to N'Sync

Thanks the lord for MJ because just about crushed them all. :filenails:

Yes. I'm not here for bitches begging for dick and wearing condoms in videos and calling it class. No ma'am pam. The Board of Health would not approve. 68.gif

Oh the same way DC called themselves a classy group...and wearing a 2 piece on stage at the Grammy's...

MISS ME MUCH! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ok if the Supremes had such a HUGE culutural impact, then tell me how come no other black girl groups were as popular until En Vogue came around? HOw many years was it between the end of the Supremes to the first single dropped by En Vogue?

regardless of figures the Spice Girls sold that many with only 3 albums...how many albums did the Supremes have out? oh look up online the amount the Spice Girls have sold

as far as compairing the LEGACY of the Spice Girls to that of the Supremes...is that people still talk about the Spice Girls even now...hence this thread. Was the Supremes included into the poll...no

The cultural impact of The Supremes extend beyond "black girl groups"...and it's silly to try to box them in to just that.

They broke racial barriers at a time when racial tension were at it's highest...when you had African Americans being killed (most notably Martin Luther King and Malcolm X) fighting for civil rights. Do you even comprehend the magnitude of black female group being biggest act WORLDWIDE 2nd ONLY to the Beatles meant at a time like that?

At a time when it was a "big deal" to even see an African American on television...at all... They helped paved the way (not exclusively by themselves, before you misunderstand) and opened the doors for African Americans in entertainment period...The door opened just a little bit further because of them (and others) for others to get through and be judged less by their race and more so by what they offered as artists.

How can you honestly compare The Spice Girls to that? HONESTLY... And I'm probably not even doing a good job explaining the magnitude of what their success meant.

Again, I'm not refuting The Spice Girls success...I'm saying it's incomparable to The Supremes.

Also, I just read that Motown didn't even begin paying for certifications for the Supremes until 1980 and only one album (a greatest hits album) has gotten an official cert from the RIAA. A group that was 2nd only to The Beatles in success (WORLDWIDE)...that's shameful. We have estimates though...and those estimate still dominate the figures you provided for The Spice Girls. Again, considering the time of their prime...that is AMAZING, and truly incomparable.

The legacy of The Supremes is that of the blueprint for all girl groups that followed, and the biggest female act EVER. Again, incomparable...

Of course people "still talk" about The Spice Girls, especially those our age..because they were from our generation. 30 or 40 years from now...they won't be. There's a reason The Supremes and other older acts are among the few still talked about even today...

Moving on to the 80's..

You sound foolish. Why skip over popular Black male groups like The Isleys, Earth Wind And Fire, The Temptations, The Jacksons, etc. I think EWF is one of the few groups to get Madison Square Garden's Golden Ticket Award for selling over 100k tickets there. There's a bunch of successful Black acts that have been supported by the Black audience.

WTF are you talking about? :mellow:

:mellow:

You tried to dispute my claim about the Spice Girls not being the most popular female group of all time. THAT'S what started the discussion between you and I. Perhaps you need to go back and read instead of continuously making yourself look foolish. :sigh:

You encompassing anything other than pretenses that support your argument on The Supremes being more popular was flat out irrelevant. Hence, why I stopped commenting on that other stuff you were bringing up. That wasn't the discussion. The discussion is about who is more popular, and it's obviously The Spice Legends.

tumblr_lc0i1w3hjF1qz5wa0o1_400.gif

I didn't try to dispute anything...as I introduced The Supremes into this discussion it is you who initially disputed me..and you did so with figures only.

Thus began the discussion...and a break down of The Supremes cultural impact, legacy, success, popularity, etc..which can't be compared to any act (thus far) that has followed them.

Who STILL runs this motha? :excited: :excited:

mau38dlni3xfx3l.jpg

B)

The Spice Legends may have been a fad, but let's not act like at their peaks they weren't more popular than TLC and DC. :umm: They are EASILY the most popular girl group of all time bar none. Their impact on the industry and pop culture DOES outweigh TLC and DC's any day of the week. :coffee: TLC was only big with one album, CSC. DC was only huge with two albums. Yet even at those peaks, they weren't nearly as popular as the Spice Girls.

I wouldn't even say they were a fad. If the spice gals announced they were touring again, they would sell-out in seconds. Like before. Can't say the same for Debbie gibson or Tiffany. Two gals that were fads.

I didn't try to dispute anything...as I introduced The Supremes into this discussion it is you who initially disputed me..and you did so with figures only.

Thus began the discussion...and a break down of The Supremes cultural impact, legacy, success, popularity, etc..which can't be compared to any act (thus far) that has followed them.

Who STILL runs this motha? :excited: :excited:

mau38dlni3xfx3l.jpg

B)

YOU DID TRY TO DISPUTE ME! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fanmail was not gonna outsell CSC. :umm: "Silly Ho" tanked, and that's probably why they rush released "No TOFs Scrubs". The only songs single worthy on that album was NS, Unpretty, and maybe one other song. CSC has DOY, Creep, Waterfalls, RLS, and another song that could have worked. Fanmail was bound to sell less than CSC.

The only way FM was gonna outsell CSC is if Arista over shipped FM like they did CSC (11x platinum with 7.2 million scanned :umm:).

Also, the FM stats aren't even comparable to DC's Survivor. The album did 4.3 million stateside and 13 million in total. 2 #1s, one of which remains the longest running #1 for a female group - and longer than all of TLC's #1s combined. That does include the tour. If you look at the stats, TLC was more of a local act, whereas DC was worlwide. That's why DC is more popular than TLC. And if you compare stats to the Spice Legends, they were obviously the biggest WW.

I love The Supremes. But their popularity isn't seeing the Spice Legends. :coffee:

You just DISQUALIFIED everything you said with that bullshit.

:mellow:

Really, Austineisha.... REALLY? :blink:

THIS IS WHAT YOU DID ON PAGE 6! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You tried to say Spice Girls aren't the most popular female group of all time. :lmao:

[WILLY WONKA] IT'S ALL THERE BLACK AND WHITE! [/WILLY WONKA]

I wouldn't even say they were a fad. If the spice gals announced they were touring again, they would sell-out in seconds. Like before. Can't say the same for Debbie gibson or Tiffany. Two gals that were fads.

!!!! All the Spice Girls need is the right material and they could make a decent comeback. The UK, and most of Europe, still loves them.

Moving on to the 80's..

YOU DID TRY TO DISPUTE ME! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

THIS IS WHAT YOU DID ON PAGE 6! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You tried to say Spice Girls aren't the most popular female group of all time. :lmao:

[WILLY WONKA] IT'S ALL THERE BLACK AND WHITE! [/WILLY WONKA]

Go to the initial reference to The Supremes. I simply said The Supremes are the True biggest female group ever (though I may have said "most successful" initially). That started the discussion...and at that moment in the thread you disputed me.

Thus starting the debate...

In that debate you used figures solely and encompassed everything into my argument. I proved that what The Supremes accomplished is incomparable to that of a bubblegum pop act that was only successful for two years, and you're still upset over it

We run this motha...STILL :excited: :excited:

g52s9xmeoqvzoev9.jpg

B)

!!!! All the Spice Girls need is the right material and they could make a decent comeback. The UK, and most of Europe, still loves them.

I agree. The spice girls were something special. It isn't always that an artist or group from overseas can come over to America & take over. Spice girls did that shit; And when they toured in 2008, They did that shit again. :coffee:

Archived