The Official Beyoncé Thread

TwistedElegance™

BTW, she's doing Eskista (a traditional Ethiopian dance) before she dances with the two guys. B)

EDIT - She mixed the Harlem shake in with the move. When doing Eskista you don't rock your shoulders from front to back like Beyonce did. You just stand up start with both shoulders aligned and vibrate those shoulders! :w00t:^_^

BTW, the Harlem shake derives from Eskista.

ANd she also pulled a Queen of the Damned when she had those chains on her head for a quick sec.. :filenails:

When she was walking with it doing that thing with her shoulders. I got total Akasha vibes

its not that great..YES..but then when you look at the other pop gwarls like Gaga and Britney, its kinda refreshing to see somebody giving you energy and rhythm at the same time.

EXACTLY.

Beyonce has that rhythm, that perfect timing and execution, similar to that what the Jacksons have. Beyonce has energy and presence.

Britney and gaga dance like they got two left feet. They are awful.

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE FUCKING WAKE UP TO THIS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE AND GIVE THE RIGHT PEOPLE CREDIT GOD DAYM IT.

On today's episode of Let's Take Everything Literally...

She's a moron.

Literal interpretation or philosophical extrapolation or not, this woman is anything but a moron. She's QUITE intelligent.

And stan or no stan, she snatched Beyonce's wig. Like a ninja.

:coffee:

Literal interpretation or philosophical extrapolation or not, this woman is anything but a moron. She's QUITE intelligent.

And stan or no stan, she snatched Beyonce's wig. Like a ninja.

:coffee:

No stan. She spent five minutes reading WAY more into a song title than was ever required. And then had the nerve to upload it like she really got one up on her. It's a pop song, not a political statement. She's a moron.

No stan. She spent five minutes reading WAY more into a song title than was ever required. And then had the nerve to upload it like she really got one up on her. It's a pop song, not a political statement. She's a moron.

I suppose if she was talking about Janet, I'd be calling her a moron, too. So I'm not going to judge your opinion. I'll just agree to disagree. :)

interesting. But she is reading into the song way to much. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that 'Girls' really do not 'Run The World'.

Not trying to defend her, but one of the points she makes is that she realizes it's just a song, but the message, in itself, however tongue-in-cheek, is a dangerous one because she believes it won't inspire change, but would, rather, lull women into a kind of delusional stupor.

I suppose if she was talking about Janet, I'd be calling her a moron, too. So I'm not going to judge your opinion. I'll just agree to disagree. :)

:lol:

Not trying to defend her, but one of the points she makes is that she realizes it's just a song, but the message, in itself, however tongue-in-cheek, is a dangerous one because she believes it won't inspire change, but would, rather, lull women into a kind of delusional stupor.

Any such woman would be delusional to begin with. I hope somebody told this girl that Eminem didn't really set Rihanna on fire, and Katy Perry isn't really in love with an alien. You know, before she lectures us on the dangers of both.

:lol:

Any such woman would be delusional to begin with. I hope somebody told this girl that Eminem didn't really set Rihanna on fire, and Katy Perry isn't really in love with an extra terrestrial. You know, before she lectures us on the dangers of both.

You're a trip, TE! :cheers:

Is Beyonce the Face of Contemporary Feminism?

Friday May 20, 2011 – by Arielle Loren

Picture-54.png

Since the late 1800s, feminism has worked to advocate for (certain) women, fighting for equality, access, and diversity. There’s been progress, setbacks, and stagnation, but one thing is clear: most women do not identify with the word “feminist,” even if they share its core ideologies. There’s been a shift in the definition of women’s empowerment and the contemporary agenda for achieving equality. Not only are most women tired of the hardcore oppression and patriarchy rhetoric, but also they’re ready to embrace their bodies and sexuality in public way. Simply put, 20-something-year-old women are ready to showcase the multidimensionality of womanhood: we can be intelligent, independent, powerful, family-oriented, and sexy without having an identity crisis.

Enter Beyonce, one of the most talented, career-driven women that has ever graced the music industry. She’s a multi-platinum selling artist, songwriter, entrepreneur, wife, daughter, sister, and oh…she can also dance like no other. Ignoring all of the previously listed positions that Bey occupies, most people simply deem her a gyrating, sex symbol. And frankly, all of the traditional feminist criticism of her “Who Runs The World (Girls)” video is just another example of the disconnect between intellectual theory and real life.

It is no secret that black women need more diverse representation in the media. Yes, it seems that every pop culture icon, actress, or singer can fall into the “hypersexualized” category. But truthfully, what does Beyonce represent as a whole, as a multidimensional human being? Taking bits and pieces of her is the same as reading a chapter of a book and claiming to know the whole story.

Beyonce’s “Girls” video is an anthem for contemporary women that aren’t afraid of being powerful, driven, smart, and sexy. We can hold our own in the workplace, and later in the evening, pull out our garter belts and work it for our partner.

Essence Editor Demetria Lucas critiques Beyonce’s video, writing:

“A mind is a terrible thing to waste and so is a perfectly good video that doesn’t match the song. Despite the declarations in the lyrics (and the unrelated hotness of the video), it’s a still a man’s world, and it will always be as long as women think their vaginas are where their power lies.”

I’d have to disagree. Lucas’ commentary implies that powerful women cannot bask in their sexuality, femininity, and confidence without jeopardizing their authority. Like Lucas, women pushing the traditional hypersexual critique have been focused on the “male gaze” for far too long.

Have you ever noticed the reaction of most women to Beyonce’s music in a dance club? It’s as if all the men in the room disappear and the women group together, dancing with their heads held high and empowering each other with every hip twist and hand wave. Almost every woman can feel some sort of empowerment from Beyonce’s music and it doesn’t take away from her power the next day when she runs the emergency room at a major hospital or leads an executive board through a complicated marketing plan.

When Beyonce sings about girls running the world while busting African-dance-influenced choreography and swiveling her hips, it should remind all women that it’s okay to run this mother f***er and still appreciate our breasts, move our hips, and showcase our multidimensionality (and sexiness) in a public way.

Beyonce’s video provides one more signal that women need a new movement. Can we finally declare first, second, and third wave feminism as history? Has the fourth wave of feminism finally arrived?

Source: Clutch | Is Beyonce the Face of Contemporary Feminism?

:whistle: