On the subject of Janet: Paula Abdul, too much credit or not enough

jarrylf

16 members have voted

1. 1. Does Paula get more credit than she desserves about Janet?

• Yes, she didnt teach Janet how to get Rhythm or how to dance
    • No, She did more for Janets career as a dancer than any previous choreographer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqfp5d7EAM

On the comments for the video above, a very big discussion/argument keeps coming back up. Theres people who think Paula dont get enough credit as a choreographer. THAT I honestly agree with because shes done alot besides her work with Janet. BUT on the subject of Janet, I honestly think she gets WAY more credit than she desserves, I mean people keep (and have been) saying that "Janet couldnt dance before Paula" or "Paula taught her how to dance". Which as any real Janfan knows to be complete bullshit, I mean geez on the Jackson show nobody was keeping up with Michael, Janet, & Marlon but with Janet she was little and hitting those moves. Same with Fame, she was 1 of the best female dancers on her season. NOW where Paulas credit is due and I always give it to her is in Janets musical career, Janet did solidly rock the shoulder bounce for both JJ & DS, but the thing is, she clearly didnt have a full on choreographer for those eras (correct me if Im wrong anyone), and had she had 1 or 2, her moves definitely would've been more than the shoulder bounce. But Paula did give her some smokin hot moves, but like I was telling someone in the comments, I think the moves Paula taught Janet got pretty dated pretty fast, hence why she changed them for the RN tour (I cant find the clip, but she said she thought alot of the moves she did for Control looked too old....and it was only 4yrs previous) wheres she was just on tour and she still sticks to 80% of every move from RN & janet, personally I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Janet do the original full routine to WHYDFML & Nasty (though I'd argue that Nasty is the most consistant Paula choreographed routine that Janet hasnt changed much of). But ironically the 1 routine from Control where she does almost as consistant as anything from RN is The Pleasure Principle, and Paula didnt have anything to do with that.

But whats your thoughts and opinions about Paula's credit for Janet, and do you think Janet

I had a friend/co-worker from Cali, he met Janet way back when she was young and just getting into the clubs to learn a lot of street moves, Janet kinda did that stuff on her own, she had choreographers sure, and they got paid to put together their part of an artists act, but without Janet it would not have worked.

I wouldn't call her just a choreographer. i wouldn't say she taught janet everything she knows either. But for a short time, they did live together in Culver City so that Paula could help Jan with her stage presence and performance skills. Did Janet already have some of those skills? Yes. But Paula kinda helped her polish those skills, just like she revamped the Laker girls and helped put together the victory tour. But she was gone by the time Janet got to the Control video. Janet's best routine PERIOD, IMO was the PP video. Paula was long gone by then. By 1987 Paula had already landed her record deal and was working on "forever your girl", which is more than likely why she didn't work with Janet on the rest of the Control project or RN.

Archived