Mya vs Ciara: Who was all around the bigger star?

JoeJoe

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better singer?

2. 2. Who was the better dancer?

3. 3. Who was better all around?

yes she was :rolleyes:

Stop. It girls.... sell more than just platinum. And how many solo #1s have Mya had? Better yet...how many Top 20 singles have she garnered

Btw I like Mya way more than Ciara ..but facts are facts. Mya was just another basic typical r&b act with the standard platinum plague. There's nothing "it" about that.

Again........after a year it still remains, #1's and sales are only part of being a "it" person. Publicity plays the bigger hand, and Mya's brand was bigger even when her music wasn't, hell she was even doing Pepsi commercials promoting her music. They were the on the same page but at different times and extents, to say otherwise is doing entirely too much.

As somone pointed out, LADY MARMALADE, no excuses (waaah she was just in the beginning, waaaah she didn't do that much, waaah everybody on it was better than her) don't mean a damn thing, it was a collaborative song that her name & voice was apart of and was a Grammy winning #1 iconic (/legendary) multiplatinum song that over shadows Ciara's entire...well life really. The end, When people watch that video in 2021, and ask "who's Mya" the important thing is, they'll be asking, what's Ciara got to top that at the end of the day? Alone...collaborative....what has she done that is THAT successful/iconic?

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I didn't realize that Ciara's early singles had done so well up until Promise, but I still think Mya is a bigger star, or was anyway if you're comparing them at their peaks. Ciara has never been involved in anything as big as Lady Marmaduke and she would never be.

Lady Marmalade, Ghetto Superstar, Take Me There - people will probably remember them first before a Goodies, 1 2 Step, Oh and they're not even Mya songs.

YAS bring it back :yahoo:

I love those songs. I was in elementary school :umm:

• Upvote 1

As somone pointed out, LADY MARMALADE, no excuses (waaah she was just in the beginning, waaaah she didn't do that much, waaah everybody on it was better than her) don't mean a damn thing, it was a collaborative song that her name & voice was apart of and was a Grammy winning #1 iconic (/legendary) multiplatinum song that over shadows Ciara's entire...well life really. The end, When people watch that video in 2021, and ask "who's Mya" the important thing is, they'll be asking, what's Ciara got to top that at the end of the day? Alone...collaborative....what has she done that is THAT successful/iconic?

Ciara has paved her own way and stopped without the help of a group of larger and bigger superstars... Lady Mar was Mya's peak and that's telling

P!nk & Xtina have both grown from that song... They are bigger than that song.. with Mya.. it's not the case

so I don't think we can include Lady Mar'... much like we can't include Kelly's accolades from DC.... Yeah she has them but only bc of Beyonce...

Hmmm... Even acts like Monica and Aaliyah were more popular and successful than Mya and they werent exactly "it" girls. So how on earth could Mya be? It makes no sense. If we went by what you all consider "it" girls...that means any bitch with a few moderate hits with a platinum plaque was an IT bitch. Congratulations to all the platinum hoes at that time...you all were really doin it BIG. Unprecedented.

Hmmm... Even acts like Monica and Aaliyah were more popular and successful than Mya and they werent exactly "it" girls. So how on earth could Mya be? It makes no sense. If we went by what you all consider "it" girls...that means any bitch with a few moderate hits with a platinum plaque was an IT bitch. Congratulations to all the platinum hoes at that time...you all were really doin it BIG. Unprecedented.

Keri Hilson is an "IT" girl :lmao:

Kelly Rowland was an IT girl

• Upvote 1

Ciara has paved her own way and stopped without the help of a group of larger and bigger superstars... Lady Mar was Mya's peak and that's telling

P!nk & Xtina have both grown from that song... They are bigger than that song.. with Mya.. it's not the case

so I don't think we can include Lady Mar'... much like we can't include Kelly's accolades from DC.... Yeah she has them but only bc of Beyonce...

NOOOOPE. I was waiting for 1 of you to jump in with the "its just like Kelly/Michelle", nope, Destiny's child was a group, LM was song was a collaboration with 4 artist who besides that 1 song never did anything else again, nowhere near the same thing.Now if there were no "Destiny's Child" and there was just 3 solo artists who did a song called Survivor, it'd be comparable.

Right P!nk & Christina are bigger than the song, but the song is HUGE and iconic regardless and Mya's name is attached to it as much as theirs is. So again I ask what has Ciara done at all in her entire life as Iconic as that song?

Again........sales? Where's Monica, Kelly Rowland, Keri Hilsons, or Amerie's Pepsi commercial promoting theiir music?...........AGAIN, it's not JUST the sales or music that determine that pop culture personalities, branding is a huge part, the fact that Pepsi got her, promoted her song that was on her album and would loop that commercial with American Idol so much so that Saturday Night Live even made fun of it because it was always on......yea thats the same thing Kelly & Keri had right? Hell does SNL even know who Keri is? (Rhetorical, seen most seasons of SNL, answer is no).

It would be if that album was more iconic than LM.....and it absolutely doesn't.

See how far you're reaching? Now its about what's more "iconic" or not...okayyyyy,right.

Ashanti was the it girl in 02 ...does she have anything iconic??? NO. But she was deemed an it girl, there's no argument.

Mya being on one single song that features a cast of other artist who are all more popular than her is more like charity work than a triumph. The fact that you all keep relying on Lady Marmalade showcases how flawed her solo accomplishments are and how they fall terribly short of the "it" image you all wanna claim she possessed.

Much as you wanna say sales are not a major factor in what an "it" girl is...I will say..in my lifetime I have never witnessed a female who is considered to be an it girl but only just a platinum seller. I have never seen t. Name me another it girl who was just platinum artist. Every REAL it girl, I've seen like Brandy, Ashanti,etc..had the numbers and coverage to back up why they were "it" bitches. Why doesn't Mya have to have a huge era but all other it girls actually have had one? You all can't even find one article that. would cite a Mya as being an "it" girl at any point of her career.. These are your opinions ...where are the receipts...

Ciara was an it girl in 04/05... she was new...she was apart of the crunk&b movement that became a popular trend in music. No one was in her lane. There was no other young chick in th game that was popular at that time of the Goodies era. Triple plat for a debut.

Even in the 'Evolution' era, she was a good Beyonce alternative.

See how far you're reaching? Now its about what's more "iconic" or not...okayyyyy,right.

Ashanti was the it girl in 02 ...does she have anything iconic??? NO. But she was deemed an it girl, there's no argument.

Mya being on one single song that features a cast of other artist who are all more popular than her is more like charity work than a triumph. The fact that you all keep relying on Lady Marmalade showcases how flawed her solo accomplishments are and how they fall terribly short of the "it" image you all wanna claim she possessed.

Much as you wanna say sales are not a major factor in what an "it" girl is...I will say..in my lifetime I have never witnessed a female who is considered to be an it girl but only just a platinum seller. I have never seen t. Name me another it girl who was just platinum artist. Every REAL it girl, I've seen like Brandy, Ashanti,etc..had the numbers and coverage to back up why they were "it" bitches. Why doesn't Mya have to have a huge era but all other it girls actually have had one? You all can't even find one article that. would cite a Mya as being an "it" girl at any point of her career.. These are your opinions ...where are the receipts...

tumblr_m71zpjsHwi1r6dz7w.gif