Mya vs Ciara: Who was all around the bigger star?

JoeJoe

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better singer?

2. 2. Who was the better dancer?

3. 3. Who was better all around?

Well no.. She has a strong following and has more than one or two hit albums and still shitting out hit and hit.. She's here to stay for a few more years

Nicki Minaj is prolly the best example but who knows what she has up her sleeve

I think I misunderstood the question. But Nicki seems to be the most recent.

You think we should watch out for Ariana Grande?

this is exaclty what I said to myself :asham::lmao:

We'll never see Ciara be as a part of something as big as a Rugrats or any Disney/Nickalodeon movie theme song. The Rugrats movie was HUGE

Ain't nobody worried bout no damn Ciara lol and yeah Ciara won't be part of nothing big.

So Mya was an it girl becuz she did the Rugrats soundtrack ? Well I guess Blackstreet is icons lmfaoooooo

I guess that mean Monica was an it girl..she did Space Jam.

I guess that means Aaliyah was an it girl ..she did Anastasia

Mya didn't do shit that other bitches didn't do..BEFORE HER!! LMFAOOOOOOO Plz STOP. My fucking stomach can't take !!!!!

Even after LM...WHITE folk still don't have the slightest clue who she is. They thought she was a new artist during that time...lol... Her efforts to crossover never did get her into the white "popular" arena ...lmao ..even she will tell you that.

White folk didn't know who Mya was? I lived in a New York suburb, and I knew Mya from back in elementary school.

Please, Mya was just as big as any medium tier r&b star back then. And she sustained her popularity longer than Ciara was able to.

• Upvote 2

So Mya was an it girl becuz she did the Rugrats soundtrack ? Well I guess Blackstreet is icons lmfaoooooo

Mya didn't do shit that other bitches didn't do..BEFORE HER!! LMFAOOOOOOO Plz STOP. My fucking stomach can't take !!!!!

Even after LM...WHITE folk still don't have the slightest clue who she is. They thought she was a new artist during that time...lol... Her efforts to crossover never did get her into the white "popular" arena ...lmao ..even she will tell you that.

I didn't even want to say anything. I mean Rugrats was a successful movie but that was far from a Lion King, especially the soundtrack and song (and I lllloooooveeeee that song).

I didn't even want to say anything. I mean Rugrats was a successful movie but that was far from a Lion King, especially the soundtrack and song (and I lllloooooveeeee that song).

The Lion King domestics grossed 4x (or 400m) the among of the Rugrats.. And! RUGRATS was only released domestically..

It's like MJB is Rugrats to Janet Jackson's Lion King

Mya is John Carter

The song is currently top ten on the BB100. She seems to have potential but we have to wait 'til a few more singles come out.

Or we can say Selena Gomez was the recent "it" girl.

I saw her cover of "Emotions" and was obsessed. I thought she was just an up and coming girl getting big on youtube, I didn't realize she had a single out. It's really catchy too and I love the sample.

See how far you're reaching? Now its about what's more "iconic" or not...okayyyyy,right.

Ashanti was the it girl in 02 ...does she have anything iconic??? NO. But she was deemed an it girl, there's no argument.

Mya being on one single song that features a cast of other artist who are all more popular than her is more like charity work than a triumph. The fact that you all keep relying on Lady Marmalade showcases how flawed her solo accomplishments are and how they fall terribly short of the "it" image you all wanna claim she possessed.

Much as you wanna say sales are not a major factor in what an "it" girl is...I will say..in my lifetime I have never witnessed a female who is considered to be an it girl but only just a platinum seller. I have never seen t. Name me another it girl who was just platinum artist. Every REAL it girl, I've seen like Brandy, Ashanti,etc..had the numbers and coverage to back up why they were "it" bitches. Why doesn't Mya have to have a huge era but all other it girls actually have had one? You all can't even find one article that. would cite a Mya as being an "it" girl at any point of her career.. These are your opinions ...where are the receipts...

Sooooo all that to basically say, you determine the "it girl" status ONLY by sales....still.

Um Ashanti broke records with her era, that was Iconic for it's time, biggest 1st weeks sales by any female artist...of all time...thats pretty damn iconic.

LOFL when did I say sales play NO role? I said it wasn't JUST about it, cause naturally it's not, and Ciara's the proof of that, Mya, Brandy, Aaliyah & Ashanti were doing commercials, had hit songs on soundtracks, and were all on MTV all the time........Ciara wasnt. Where's your article calling her a It girl? And even if you had 1, more importantly where are her big name commercials promoting her songs.....and MOST importantly, what has she been apart of bigger than Lady Marmalade in comparison? Cause I don't see it.

Um you keep including Aaliyah in your sarcasim like Are You That Somebody & Try Again didn't exist :coffee:

And WHAT in the fucking hell did Ciara do that women hadn't done before her :lmao: And what the hell does that have to do with anything, being a It girl does not mean you have to be original, in that case Bey wouldnt've been 1. You can't go changing the definition because you don't think Mya was 1.

Yet her constant appearances and video plays on MTV said otherwise to your theory of who every white person knows of, MTV was more on Mya than BET was (Wheres lets not even pretend that it's the complete opposite for Ciara, who lived on BET, and I don't remember much of her on anything on MTV).

White folk didn't know who Mya was? I lived in a New York suburb, and I knew Mya from back in elementary school.

Please, Mya was just as big as any medium tier r&b star back then. And she sustained her popularity longer than Ciara was able to.

SCHOOOOL DEM! As someone who went to a mixed school when Mya;s face & commercials were all on MTV and the commercials, my white girl firends knew Case Of The Ex as much as they knew Britney, Christina, & Jessica's songs back in that day.

LOFL when did I say sales play NO role? I said it wasn't JUST about it, cause naturally it's not, and Ciara's the proof of that, Mya, Brandy, Aaliyah & Ashanti were doing commercials, had hit songs on soundtracks, and were all on MTV all the time........Ciara wasnt. Where's your article calling her a It girl? And even if you had 1, more importantly where are her big name commercials promoting her songs.....and MOST importantly, what has she been apart of bigger than Lady Marmalade in comparison? Cause I don't see it.

And WHAT in the fucking hell did Ciara do that women hadn't done before her :lmao: And what the hell does that have to do with anything, being a It girl does not mean you have to be original, in that case Bey wouldnt've been 1. You can't go changing the definition because you don't think Mya was 1

SCHOOOOL DEM! As someone who went to a mixed school when Mya;s face & commercials were all on MTV and the commercials, my white girl firends knew Case Of The Ex as much as they knew Britney, Christina, & Jessica's songs back in that day.

Gotta stop you there.. Didn't Brandy have an acting career... I think she's a step higher than Mya... and at least Brandy sold albums...

2) Mtv stopped being Music Television and started their Mockery Television when Ciara came out... they weren't playing videos.. and BET was the only channel that actually displayed music videos.. Mya's ass would be on 106 any chance she got... a lot of flops were on Mtv

We're not calling Ciara an icon or legend... Ciara brought in a phase of American Music History... The ATL invasion.. she was the only female leading it..

The only difference is They don't really remember that song now... not as much as Xtina or Britney.. Jessica not so much

Gotta stop you there.. Didn't Brandy have an acting career... I think she's a step higher than Mya... and at least Brandy sold albums...

2) Mtv stopped being Music Television and started their Mockery Television when Ciara came out... they weren't playing videos.. and BET was the only channel that actually displayed music videos.. Mya's ass would be on 106 any chance she got... a lot of flops were on Mtv

We're not calling Ciara an icon or legend... Ciara brought in a phase of American Music History... The ATL invasion.. she was the only female leading it..

The only difference is They don't really remember that song now... not as much as Xtina or Britney.. Jessica not so much

Whoop, gotta let me go there, Mya was an actress too, more so than Ciara....I didn't say Brandy wasn't bigger than Mya or Ciara....cause she is.

Ciara came out in 2004, MTV's downfall more so came in 2006, 04-05 TRL was still big and important and videos still very much mattered. But she lived on BET...where she belonged.

But that's not even important, just like her being the women of crunk lol, Like in all seriousness, most female singers who come out in pop/R&B/Rap culture have titles these days, thats a nice title, but its a defining moment for her that is not bigger than Mya's moment is my point.

And they don't have to, the important thing is they knew them when it mattered, they got it to #2, and made me sick of it when the video was ALWAYS on MTV (again, same effect Goodies had on me on BET). BUT............you know they know all the words to that version of Lady Marmalade, and to know all the words is to know her 1st verse :yep:

Sooooo all that to basically say, you determine the "it girl" status ONLY by sales....still.

Um Ashanti broke records with her era, that was Iconic for it's time, biggest 1st weeks sales by any NEW female artist...of all time...thats pretty damn iconic.

Um you keep including Aaliyah in your sarcasim like Are You That Somebody & Try Again didn't exist :coffee:

And WHAT in the fucking hell did Ciara do that women hadn't done before her :lmao: And what the hell does that have to do with anything, being a It girl does not mean you have to be original, in that case Bey wouldnt've been 1. You can't go changing the definition because you don't think Mya was 1.

Yet her constant appearances and video plays on MTV said otherwise to your theory of who every white person knows of, MTV was more on Mya than BET was (Wheres lets not even pretend that it's the complete opposite for Ciara, who lived on BET, and I don't remember much of her on anything on MTV).

:)

Um no the hell she didn't. T.I. , Monica, and a few other represented the ATL way before Ciara. I get what you're saying about her being the only female leading it at the time but bringing in a phase of American Music History is what she didn't do lol. That credit of crunk goes to Lil John

Ciara was an it girl in 04/05... she was new...she was apart of the crunk&b movement that became a popular trend in music. No one was in her lane. There was no other young chick in th game that was popular at that time of the Goodies era. Triple plat for a debut.

A "movement" that lasted all but a year?? Yeah big movement. Ciara did it in one album - and then her career went downhill. In 2004, Alicia Keys and Beyonce had the bigger albums, riding off the success of the ones that came in 2003 and they had the bigger presence.Ciara has never been an IT girl. What endorsements did she have? What major performances did she give? What world tour did she go on? An It girl is someone who is sought after. Someone having a hit doesn't make them an 'IT girl'.

• Upvote 1

The Lion King domestics grossed 4x (or 400m) the among of the Rugrats.. And! RUGRATS was only released domestically..

No it wasn't. That song was played constantly on TV here (as were her other features). The movie itself was successful too. Case Of The Ex was very popular among the 'white folk' here too. Still, TLK >>>> R in success and legacy.

I will say the "white folk" also touched Goodies, 1 2 Step and Get Up.

I stick by what I said though - neither Mya or Ciara were ever IT girls.

Agreed, and over here Mya was bigger than Ciara ever was, and for longer.

• Upvote 1