Moby Says Ke$ha and Britney Spears Songs Shouldn't Be Called 'Music'

SonofBaldwin

http://www.spinner.com/2011/05/27/moby-kesha-britney

moby-kesha-456-260511.jpg

Moby Says Ke$ha and Britney Spears Songs Shouldn't Be Called 'Music'

Moby may have become a bona fide pop star when his landmark album 'Play' sold over 10 million copies back in 2000, but when it comes to the music of current chart-toppers like Ke$ha, Rihanna, Britney Spears and the Black Eyed Peas, he just can't relate. In fact, he thinks "music" is the wrong word for what they're putting out.

"It's fun, but I don't think of it as music," he says. "It's manufactured. I appreciate it as pop culture phenomenon and some of the songs I like if I hear them in a shopping mall or something, but it doesn't function as music for me."

Long before 'Play' became an international blockbuster, Moby cut his teeth making progressive house and techno-flavoured dance music in the '90s, with club hits like 'Go' and 'Everytime You Touch Me.' Yet he doesn't feel that the current crop of dancey Billboard bangers contain the emotional resonance of real music.

"Music is something that communicates emotion and integrity in a really interesting, direct way," he says. "And when I listen to the pop music you're describing, it's hyper-produced corporate product. That isn't really even a criticism, but I just think calling it music is a misnomer.

"It's advertising for ringtones."

Moby's latest album, 'Destroyed,' is a moody, melancholy and deeply personal document of his life as a touring musician, composed during bouts of insomnia in hotel rooms around the world. A good deal of Moby's time on the road was spent as a DJ performing gigs in clubbing capitals from Sao Paulo to Miami to Ibiza. Though he considers himself an electronic musician rather than a DJ, he admits that DJing can be quite lucrative.

"For example, if I go on tour with my band, there's seven of us on stage, and I have to pay the crew and hotels and travel and equipment rental," he says. "If I DJ, sometimes the fee is just as much, except that I show up with a box of records."

He's got some advice for young bands in a cash-strapped music industry.

"If I were a business advisor to musicians, my first recommendation would be to learn how to DJ."

ok let me do this, ima chime in real good....fuck you Moby.....and I mean that with the deepest respect....music is anything that makes yo ass move, and not since he hooked up wit Gwen Stefani on "Southside" have I checked for him. I get the criticism, its manufactured, sure, but the music is what keeps me coming back make me fucking move, and Ke$hia and Brit have some damn good music.....he need to go talk to Beyonce punk ass :filenails:

I like moby, but sonically, I'd place him in the same category as the people he is talking about. They all do pop music that is rooted in electro beats and dance music. And I'm sure the producers who crafted those beats and worked hard in the studio would feel like their work is music. The funny thing is, Moby has produced songs for britney in the past. :rolleyes:

I gonna need this pale faced, bald headed Yodda to have a seat. :filenails:

He is an experimental indie artist, they are all pretty snobs and stuck ups (unless it's folk) . And no he is not after the mainstream audience, most of alternative artists aren't and usually they dispise that part of the industry.

I see what he means and understand why some don't, He should have used the word quality instead of music cuz that's what he means and shoulda have thrown Gaga to the mix as well

If you think this is harsh or whataver than you should pay attention to what Alison Goldfrapp says, not even Madonna was saved from her sharp tongue

with that said Moby's music is for the most part brilliant , I'm in the mood to play Wait for Me now :wub:

Archived