JANET - Two-Night Documentary Event Set at Lifetime and A&E

MorganR

Janet Jackson’s life story will get the documentary treatment next year from Lifetime and A&E to celebrate the 40th anniversary of her first album.

At its virtual upfront today, the A+E Networks group highlighted its upcoming programming slate and announced that Lifetime and A&E have ordered a two-night, four-hour documentary event with the working titled “JANET.” Jackson’s first album, titled “Janet Jackson,” was released in 1982 when she was 16.

The documentary, co-produced by Workerbee and Associated Entertainment Corporation, promises to offer unprecedented access to the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer’s life, and an intimate, honest and unfiltered look at the untold story of one of the highest-earning artists in music history.

Filming on “JANET” has been under way for three years. The doc follows Janet as her family is going through the loss of her father, Joseph, the patriarch of the Jackson dynasty who passed in 2018. Producers were granted exclusive access to archival footage and never-before-seen home videos while developing the documentary for the past three years. “JANET” will also detail the most talked-about moments of her life, including her 2004 Super Bowl appearance with Justin Timberlake in which she inadvertently exposed a portion of her breast, sparking controversy that would hover for more than a decade. The docu will also explore Jackson’s reaction to the death of her brother, the legendary and also controversial Michael Jackson, and her process of becoming a mother.

“JANET” is targeted for debut in early 2022 on Lifetime and A&E. The docu is executive produced by Janet Jackson and Randy Jackson. Executive producer for Workerbee is Rick Murray and Brie Miranda Bryant serves as executive producer for A+E Networks. Ben Hirsch is directing.

variety.com/2021/tv/news/janet-jackson-documentary-lifetime-ae-1234920992/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Im excited, but it only just crossed my mind that its just more inconsideration for those outside the US. We aint got no LifeTime in the UK and I dont even know what A&E is. Im hoping us foreigners will see it somehow, but Netflix would given better access. Maybe something happened behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1

Lifetime/A&E could definitely sell the doc to a streaming service and to international tv channels as well. A documentary is a great way for Janet to sell her album and tickets for the tour as well! The world wants to see this doc and many countries will broadcast it too.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:38 AM, vibeology said:

Im excited, but it only just crossed my mind that its just more inconsideration for those outside the US. We aint got no LifeTime in the UK and I dont even know what A&E is. Im hoping us foreigners will see it somehow, but Netflix would given better access. Maybe something happened behind the scenes.

One of these guys can rip us a DVD lol

Failing that, why don't you and me plan a trip to the States for when it's showing 😂