The last movie you saw at home/cinema - MOST POPULAR THREAD 2013/14

Selz

Bright Lights Big City - C-, When I thought that there was probably no Michael J. Fox movie or show or performance I don't or won't love, BAM, this movie just sooo didn't keep me, it was too much and not enough. I didn't hate it but I so didn't love it or hardly like it. Michael was great I guess but eh the movie didn't offer much.

Father Of The Bride 1 - A, I LOVE this movie, I absolutely love this movie, I always have, I had never seen it as an adult, and it just holds up so perfectly.

Father Of The Bride 2 - A-, Same where it holds up & all, but what I always forget about and am not really a fan of is the whole selling of the house and then getting it back so dramatically, I feel like they could've done something more dramatic or less, idk, but I love this movie, as much if not more than part 1 despite that part

Housesitter - B-, interesting movie, Steve Martin wasn't so impressive, but Goldie was AMAZING in my opinion.

Jennifer Lopez: Dance Again - A, WOW, OK...we joke about her sales and being Janet's backup, but that bitch put on 1 hell of a show, I forget how great of a dancer she is and how much she kills live. It was really refreshing for the 1st time in a VERY long time to see a documentary about a DIVA performer that felt real and honest and not like a staged show. She came accross so damn loveable and fun. I LOVE HER MOM, I think her mom instantly became my favorite Diva's mom.

"American Sniper" B-

I expected an actors piece, an in some ways thats what this movie was. I can appreciate the content of the film itself, there's Bradley Cooper and the hero he portrays. What I take issue with is Bradley Copper, on his third consecutive Oscar nomination. I still dont think he's in a lane he can win this. I remember Bradley from the tv series "Alias" he was a pretty boy actor, nothing more. I just had a hard time seeing Bradley Copper as any tough SEAL, in some scenes he so clean cut and "pretty" its a hard sale to see him as a tough guy. I do think the film does a good job with honoring veterans and the story of Chris Kyle, the actual sniper.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't been in this thread in forever. I have some updating to do...

American Sniper QgD0C2i.pngQgD0C2i.pngQgD0C2i.pngbDJvM0j.pngbDJvM0j.png

I felt in two minds about this. Bradley Cooper did a great job but if the audience was supposed to root for this guy then I surely wasn't moved to. War is bullshit and this was bullshit propaganda. Some of the scenes were incredible, though. If you've seen it you'll know the ones I'm talking about.

Wild QgD0C2i.pngQgD0C2i.pngQgD0C2i.pngQgD0C2i.png7Zqem6l.png

This was near perfect. Understatement is the key and this was so beautifully handled that certain scenes which would come off as cheesy in other movies felt so real in this one. Loved it.

I need a download for this :(. It had limited release here and I missed it. I'm reading the book at the moment and love it.

"American Sniper" B-

I expected an actors piece, an in some ways thats what this movie was. I can appreciate the content of the film itself, there's Bradley Cooper and the hero he portrays. What I take issue with is Bradley Copper, on his third consecutive Oscar nomination. I still dont think he's in a lane he can win this. I remember Bradley from the tv series "Alias" he was a pretty boy actor, nothing more. I just had a hard time seeing Bradley Copper as any tough SEAL, in some scenes he so clean cut and "pretty" its a hard sale to see him as a tough guy. I do think the film does a good job with honoring veterans and the story of Chris Kyle, the actual sniper.

He is no hero. This movie is propaganda at it's finest which the right-wing have latched on to with the whole "Chris Kyle is good...brown people are savages. He saved us" mentality. Didn't his book show him to be a bigot? Nothing heroic about that :/. I'm not surprised at Americas reactions...but I'm surprised at Clint Eastwood.

Modern war has no heroes.

I haven't been in this thread in forever. I have some updating to do...

American Sniper QgD0C2i.pngQgD0C2i.pngQgD0C2i.pngbDJvM0j.pngbDJvM0j.png

I felt in two minds about this. Bradley Cooper did a great job but if the audience was supposed to root for this guy then I surely wasn't moved to. War is bullshit and this was bullshit propaganda. Some of the scenes were incredible, though. If you've seen it you'll know the ones I'm talking about.

!!!!

• Upvote 1

He is no hero. This movie is propaganda at it's finest which the right-wing have latched on to with the whole "Chris Kyle is good...brown people are savages. He saved us" mentality. Didn't his book show him to be a bigot? Nothing heroic about that :/. I'm not surprised at Americas reactions...but I'm surprised at Clint Eastwood.

!!!!

All of that, plus the film is just so one-sided. Every Iraqi is either killed or about to be killed in order to ram home the point that they're the bad guys. Lone Survivor did a much better job of painting war "heroes", and it achieved it by understanding that the Americans in these stories aren't the only human beings.

• Upvote 1

Fifty Shades of Grey nPwBmW0.pngnPwBmW0.pngnPwBmW0.pngOJ7JuAW.pngOJ7JuAW.png

Fifty Shades Of Grey - D, wow that is overhyped to the heavens. The sex scenes & Christian Grey are everything, the story and Anna are both weak and bland as fuck

Great point. Where is the damn plot in this thing? They jumped straight into them meeting without any backstory so from the start I was really challenged to care about either of them. I agree he was a great fit for the role, but she was as beige as they come. I was over that doe-eyed cuteness by about the third scene. I disagree about the sex scenes, though. They were so cliched. I see couples go harder on TV!

• Upvote 1

I only want to watch it for Jamie Dornham tbh. I think that's the only reason it's doing well...

All of that, plus the film is just so one-sided. Every Iraqi is either killed or about to be killed in order to ram home the point that they're the bad guys. Lone Survivor did a much better job of painting war "heroes", and it achieved it by understanding that the Americans in these stories aren't the only human beings.

I haven't seen this movie so my opinion is based off of what I know/knew about Chris Kyle beforehand. Lone Survivor was a good movie though...and I can't stand Mark Wahlberg lol.

Fifty Shades of Grey nPwBmW0.pngnPwBmW0.pngnPwBmW0.pngOJ7JuAW.pngOJ7JuAW.png

Great point. Where is the damn plot in this thing? They jumped straight into them meeting without any backstory so from the start I was really challenged to care about either of them. I agree he was a great fit for the role, but she was as beige as they come. I was over that doe-eyed cuteness by about the third scene. I disagree about the sex scenes, though. They were so cliched. I see couples go harder on TV!

LOFL YES Beige is the perfect description, and I think I might've graded up or enjoyed the sex scenes mostly because of him. I mean I really have to give the guy credit, like, he...just seemed so into it, and so embracing every scene he walked into........the girl was........just there.......and was most likely whining about something lol Im legit shocked at how much I really didn't like that character, but when people compare the character to the dumb main chick in Twilight, it all makes sense really.

!!!!

nnnnnnn....sis :unsure:

http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/13220-oscars-last-night-anyone/?p=494356

"I realize the board is slower than ever now, I remember when we would sit and talk during an awards show....not anymore

anywho, I'm so glad Julianne Moore finally got her Oscar for best actress, she really earned that one. I'm also glad Bradley Cooper didn't win for "American Sniper" a movie that has become a political propaganda tool for the right, Eddie Redmayne won for his role as Stephen Hawkins in "The Theory of Everything"

I don't know how well NPH did as host, I didn't watch the broadcast I was out."

for the record, Clint Eastwood, who famously bombed making fun of the President at the RNC, has long been a conservative Republican, nothing to be surprised about the content of this film. Now when I speak of hereos, I speak of men and women who risk their lives serving the country of their birth, and protecting America.  Are there bigots? Everywhere, what I can say as an American is that I dont hear much of who "brown" people are, you yourself speak very selectively about who you are too. Understanding who we are can start with conversations like this, where people talk real and respect one another. I did not buy into the bullshit "American Sniper" sold, I watched it simply because it was award season, as I watch nearly all movies nominated, except this year they kinda didnt blow me away with their premises.....loved "Still Alice" :wub:

• Downvote 1

nnnnnnn....sis :unsure:

http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/13220-oscars-last-night-anyone/?p=494356

"I realize the board is slower than ever now, I remember when we would sit and talk during an awards show....not anymore

anywho, I'm so glad Julianne Moore finally got her Oscar for best actress, she really earned that one. I'm also glad Bradley Cooper didn't win for "American Sniper" a movie that has become a political propaganda tool for the right, Eddie Redmayne won for his role as Stephen Hawkins in "The Theory of Everything"

I don't know how well NPH did as host, I didn't watch the broadcast I was out."

for the record, Clint Eastwood, who famously bombed making fun of the President at the RNC, has long been a conservative Republican, nothing to be surprised about the content of this film. Now when I speak of hereos, I speak of men and women who risk their lives serving the country of their birth, and protecting America.  Are there bigots? Everywhere, what I can say as an American is that I dont hear much of who "brown" people are, you yourself speak very selectively about who you are too. Understanding who we are can start with conversations like this, where people talk real and respect one another. I did not buy into the bullshit "American Sniper" sold, I watched it simply because it was award season, as I watch nearly all movies nominated, except this year they kinda didnt blow me away with their premises.....loved "Still Alice" :wub:

There are no modern war "heroes". There hasn't been a war hero since the world wars. Protect you? You're more at risk today than you were before these lil wars of the last decade  :lmao:. These wars of the last 13 years were not about protecting you and if you think they are then that's a shame.