Janet Jackson Officially A R&R Hall of Famer, December 13th, 2018

Bailey

2 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

Janelle is 33 years old. She was plenty there to witness Janet in the '90s aka her peak.

Are y'all forgetting that JT inducted Madonna? This is nothing new.

But not the 80s peak. Not to mention Janet's run in the 70s. Also, there's a level of significance with Janet's induction, so more consideration should be given. And even if they go with someone current, honestly someone like Beyoncé or Rihanna would've been better options imo.  

• Upvote 1

Lets please not give Janelle too too much. The girl is indeed artistic and "unique" (as in.. has her own style musically) but yall coming off like she is the most talented thing to step foot on this planet in awhile....so we're gonna have to pump the brakes on the overhyping.

Janelle is basically a more popular Solange. 

16 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

My goodness there was no one else available? :blink: I think the inductor should be a peer, and/or someone who's on his or her way to being inducted themselves. 

I agree.  I thought maybe it was gonna be Jimmy and Terry. But Janelle is safe choice if they are looking for someone from a different generation that Janet directly impacted.

6 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

But not the 80s peak. Not to mention Janet's run in the 70s. Also, there's a level of significance with Janet's induction, so more consideration should be given. And even if they go with someone current, honestly someone like Beyoncé or Rihanna would've been better options imo.  

THIS. Her induction will usher in more of Her contemporaries getting inducted in the future(Whitney, Mariah, maybe Toni and MJB--and later down the road, Beyoncé).

13 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Absolutely. Mariah gave a speech about Whitney at the BET Awards. She's spoken highly about Janet on numerous occasions dating back to the early 2000s. Honestly, it should really be a peer imo. Someone who was there to witness Janet at her peak. Toni, MJB, hell even Celine. I have nothing against Janelle, but this is a momentous career milestone and everything should reflect that. 

No. It’s always a lessor.. and Mariah is still too egotistical

None of those girls should (maybe MJB) but the RRHOF paid for who they paid for and I’m not mad. No one remembers the presenter and the presenter shouldn’t be huge  

• Upvote 1

Gotta say the ONLY time I can recall Mariah giving props is to the Divas that she didn't compete with Aretha, Gladys, Diana, & Toni (hell MC inducted Gladys into the RRHOF), but I don't see her doing it for a peer. From the soundings of things, this seems to be how it's been, newer artist do this for the legends.

6 hours ago, hotboy06 said:

I agree.  I thought maybe it was gonna be Jimmy and Terry. But Janelle is safe choice if they are looking for someone from a different generation that Janet directly impacted.

Jimmy and Terry would be a great idea, but would be a little self-indulgent imo. Her own co-producers inducting her? Eh. 

6 hours ago, hotboy06 said:

THIS. Her induction will usher in more of Her contemporaries getting inducted in the future(Whitney, Mariah, maybe Toni and MJB--and later down the road, Beyoncé).

YES.  This is the part people aren't really understanding. Janet, someone correct me if I'm wrong, is the first of the 80s Black/R&B acts to get inducted. And the fact that she's female makes it more noteworthy. Also, this is the first time, I would think, the fans campaigning helped influence the Hall's decision. Fan bases are now using the "#Induct" hash tag for other artists. 

5 hours ago, Game For Now said:

No. It’s always a lessor.. and Mariah is still too egotistical

None of those girls should (maybe MJB) but the RRHOF paid for who they paid for and I’m not mad. No one remembers the presenter and the presenter shouldn’t be huge  

Again, Mariah has spoken highly about Janet on a number of occasions. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Jimmy and Terry would be a great idea, but would be a little self-indulgent imo. Her own co-producers inducting her? Eh. 

YES.  This is the part people aren't really understanding. Janet, someone correct me if I'm wrong, is the first of the 80s Black/R&B acts to get inducted. And the fact that she's female makes it more noteworthy. Also, this is the first time, I would think, the fans campaigning helped influence the Hall's decision. Fan bases are now using the "#Induct" hash tag for other artists. 

I don't see what that has to do with Janelle presenting her.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, there literally is NOBODY who the fanbase would unanimously be here for, so let's not act new lol. The inductee has largely (in so many of these examples) been someone on the new side of the industry, period. It was 96 when Mariah inducted Gladys....and to me that seems cool, cause that's basically saying the committee recognizes new blood with potential in years to come.

16 hours ago, jarrylf said:

All truth. She's so damn unopologetic in her everything, I live for it, and the chick is a talented as she is? She is a queen in the making.

Image result for clutches pearls gif

Alicia I get cause she covered Prince on her 1st album......but....homegirl was UBER new still in 04....that's....a damn mess & shame for both legacies. 

Prince loved Alicia and spoke very highly of her skills as a musician on numerous occasions. He wanted her there.

2 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

You guys should be happy it's not Ciara or Teyana Taylor doing this. :rolleyes:

Add Tinashe and SZA to the list.

MJB and Toni are probably the most reasonable among Janet's peers. Idk what some of you are getting Mariah from.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Illi said:

Add Tinashe and SZA to the list.

MJB and Toni are probably the most reasonable among Janet's peers. Idk what some of you are getting Mariah from.

Mariah doesnt seem as far fetched as you all would like to think. Mariah has always liked Janet and had a respect for Janet. Mariah praised Janet's "Control" era and loved how Janet was a woman coming into her own..the whole girl power thing. And not to mention we have seen Mariah and Janet photographed many of times. Its beyond clear that they are "friends" to some degree. At Oprah's Legend ball... There was a day where Janet and Mariah were talking and hanging with each other the whole day while the other female celebs were linked up in other groups. Mariah also spoke about how Janet was the beginning of revolutionizing music videos. So with all that being said ..if asked..im sure Mariah would have done it bc Janet was before her and she understands Janets impact and is a friend. How Janet fans are not familiar w/ Janet and Mariahs admiration for each other is beyond me. GOOGLE.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Really glad u brought that up!!!

Janet’s induction alone is not only monumentous for her, but groundbreaking for the next wave of potential black female artists from her generation til now!!! I’m surprised Whitney hasn’t been inducted yet but I’m assuming her infamous private life jeopardized that??? 🤔 Anyway, this DEFINITELY will make it more likely for Whitney and Mariah to get inducted next as well as the 90s generation of divas like MJB and Toni hopefully.✊🏾✊🏾👍👍

• Upvote 1

I don't think any Janet fan is lost on Janet & Mariah's mutual respect and admiration, I think people don't connect the 2 because they are 2 VERY different types of singers, songwriters, and performers. And the common thread with most of the celebs who do the inducting, they're artists who are similar, not just fans, not just friends/friendly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jarrylf said:

Agreed, there literally is NOBODY who the fanbase would unanimously be here for, so let's not act new lol. The inductee has largely (in so many of these examples) been someone on the new side of the industry, period. It was 96 when Mariah inducted Gladys....and to me that seems cool, cause that's basically saying the committee recognizes new blood with potential in years to come.

I dont know I think Beyonce would have pretty much gone over really well :umm:

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I dont know I think Beyonce would have pretty much gone over really well :umm:

I think it'd have exactly the same reaction, the majority for it, and a handful (not just here but across the fanbase) that wouldn't ask "why not ____?". I don't think there's anyone that wouldn't be the case for. Hell I'd be Ok with Bey (she's way more fitting than Mariah just based on the entertainment and activist level), but folks would counter with why not Rihanna, and vice versa.

Like you said, I don't really give a fuck 1 way or another, I mean I'm glad it's my fave highly melanated ArchAndroid electric lady of this generation, but seriously, it's about Janet......and she'll be there....and unless she's performing with the inductee (I'd live, but I'd bet on the RN & janet. Tours getting BlueRay & Youtube releases before that happens at the ceremony) it don't matter who it is.

Hell my #1 pick is Bruno, but he already proved himself for the world last year at the BMA's so we good. :coffee:

7 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

Mariah doesnt seem as far fetched as you all would like to think. Mariah has always liked Janet and had a respect for Janet. Mariah praised Janet's "Control" era and loved how Janet was a woman coming into her own..the whole girl power thing. And not to mention we have seen Mariah and Janet photographed many of times. Its beyond clear that they are "friends" to some degree. At Oprah's Legend ball... There was a day where Janet and Mariah were talking and hanging with each other the whole day while the other female celebs were linked up in other groups. Mariah also spoke about how Janet was the beginning of revolutionizing music videos. So with all that being said ..if asked..im sure Mariah would have done it bc Janet was before her and she understands Janets impact and is a friend. How Janet fans are not familiar w/ Janet and Mariahs admiration for each other is beyond me. GOOGLE.

exactly and Mariah has always stated that she's a huge Janet fan. She even tweeted Janet when "No Sleeep" was released.

• Upvote 1